Best way to get sound to T.V speakers?

davidtran007

[H]ard|Gawd
Friend is using a Dell Inspiron 530. He wants to use his Sharp Aquos 42" LCD TV as his monitor. The computer has integrated video and audio at the moment. What would be the best route to get audio to his T.V speakers?

I was thinking about getting an 8600GT + DVI-HDMI Cable + A sound card that does optical. Is there any other route I can go? I know there are HDMI video cards now but wasn't sure if that would be able to transmit sound also.

Any recommendations and ideas will be gladly appreciated. Thanks

Chances are the TV has RCA input, you can get an adapter from 3.5mm to red/white for like $3 at Radio Hack.

HDMI on a video card can carry audio, but it has to be HDMI into the TV as well. If you use a DVI/HDMI adapter, the audio will be lost.

DVI and HDMI carry the exact same video signal. The difference is that HDMI can carry audio as well.

Well I was planning on running an DVI-HDMI cable to T.V. Then Optical from sound card to T.V.

Is there a video card I can buy that has HDMI that will do both audio and video with just the HDMI cable?

Not a lot of TV have Optical IN that i know of... Most only have Optical OUT to output the TV audio to an external source.

Most of the time the only way to use DVI to HDMI is to input in the TV using HDMI1 input and use Stereo RCA cables.

I'm just saying...

check out the ati 4350/4550 cards. They can passthrough audio through HDMI cable. I am sure the 3450/3650 would also do the same thing but for the slight extra cost I would go with the newer gen cards.

It really depends on what he wants out of his Sound System. I mean, I personally would like just go with an integrated video/audio HDMI card. I would have a separate video and a separate audio. The two are completely different components which requires equal amount of attention to perfect. To me, by having it separate, I could control more the output quality of both. Plus, integrated cards do an okay job with audio only, if you want the sound system to have a wow, especially if youre playing bluray, you might want to consider the sound cards available in the market right now.

Back