Best way to get a CCNA?

• Thread starter Deleted member 19858
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 19858

I currently am working as a network analyst but would like to move more toward a network engineer position. I would like to work heavily with routers, switches, and high level hardware. I have worked with some Cisco stuff before and took a class in college for it. I would like to know what the best way for me to get a CCNA would be.

Just as a little background on myself which might help in letting me know the best way. Have a BS in network and communications management, A+, MCP, 3-5 experience in the network field.

SnowPunk98 said:
I currently am working as a network analyst but would like to move more toward a network engineer position. I would like to work heavily with routers, switches, and high level hardware. I have worked with some Cisco stuff before and took a class in college for it. I would like to know what the best way for me to get a CCNA would be.

Just as a little background on myself which might help in letting me know the best way. Have a BS in network and communications management, A+, MCP, 3-5 experience in the network field.

I just studied the CiscoPress CCNA study guide, and used a router sim for the sim questions. I read the book once through, and then reread it again. Test wasnt very hard at all. Sounds like you have a great background for it already.

Thats the way I am thinking of going, I have router simulation software from some company. I will have to take a look at it when I get home. As far as a book what would be the best to gain knowledge and pass the test.

SnowPunk98 said:
Thats the way I am thinking of going, I have router simulation software from some company. I will have to take a look at it when I get home. As far as a book what would be the best to gain knowledge and pass the test.

I used the sybex one. It was fine. It covered everything I saw in the test. The most important thing is to be able to quickly configure and troubleshoot the sim questions. If you miss the sim questions, you're pretty much done right there.

Shouldn't be too tough for you though. I only have personal network experience (with my small home setup) and some helpdesk level network troubleshooting. I passed on the first try. Its not as bad as some people on the net make it out to be, but make sure you're solid. It isnt a cakewalk.

Yea Sybex is usually good, I think thats who this simulator program is through. I have heard it both ways that it was simple and that it was really hard. I should be able to do it with a fair amount of study and practice.

Me and a friend have been studying for the CCNA. He took his last week and passed and I'm taking mine soon. We both used the Cisco Press CCNA Self Study by Wendell Odom. Personally, I like these books a lot. It was a 2 book set I got for like $60 at Borders, or u can buy the books sperately for like $40. There's an Intro books u can probably skip, and an ICND book (from what I understand, the CCNA can be taken in one shot, or as two tests, the Intro and ICND test, so each book covers 1/2 the test).

Anyway, each book comes with a CD that has Sim software, as well as a PDF version of the book which I'd take on the road with me when I didnt wanna haul a book around. I'm taking mine soon and I feel very prepared. Dont quote me on this, but I think it also has practice test software.

Nybbles said:
Me and a friend have been studying for the CCNA. He took his last week and passed and I'm taking mine soon. We both used the Cisco Press CCNA Self Study by Wendell Odom. Personally, I like these books a lot. It was a 2 book set I got for like $60 at Borders, or u can buy the books sperately for like $40. There's an Intro books u can probably skip, and an ICND book (from what I understand, the CCNA can be taken in one shot, or as two tests, the Intro and ICND test, so each book covers 1/2 the test).

Anyway, each book comes with a CD that has Sim software, as well as a PDF version of the book which I'd take on the road with me when I didnt wanna haul a book around. I'm taking mine soon and I feel very prepared. Dont quote me on this, but I think it also has practice test software.

I have these books, they are decent. They do have practice test software, but it is really really shoddy. (I *know* I answer questions correctly, and one instance it says wrong, the next it says right... wierd)

My problem is that I have no free time to really study and get in depth, so I'm gonna be sitting in class next week for it.

And make sure you can subnet in your head pretty much and fairly quickly. As for how hard it is...depends on what questions you get. And now it seems to be a little easier without the netware portion but it still takes a high score to pass and can be difficult.

Yea I remember subnetting in college and I hated it, for sure something I cant do in my head right now. I am not good with math which sucks for things like hex, binary, subnets, etc but thats just how my brain works. Either way with some studying I'm sure I can pass, which test(s) do I need to take and isn't it like $125 abouts?

Also does the CCNA expire like MCSE does or is it good until useless?

SnowPunk98 said:
Yea I remember subnetting in college and I hated it, for sure something I cant do in my head right now. I am not good with math which sucks for things like hex, binary, subnets, etc but thats just how my brain works. Either way with some studying I'm sure I can pass, which test(s) do I need to take and isn't it like $125 abouts?

Also does the CCNA expire like MCSE does or is it good until useless?
It expires. You have to renew it every 3 years I think.

fibroptikl said:
It expires. You have to renew it every 3 years I think.

Yup, every 3 years.
I would definately be able to subnet in your head within a few seconds any type of address. I could, and it came in very handy.

You can either take 2 tests that cost (i think) 100 bucks each, or do the whole thing at once for 150 I believe.
I went for the single shot, which worked out great since I passed the first try. Otherwise, the split test might have been better.

My work will pay for me to take the test long as I pass, gonna see if they will also buy the book. Should I just get the newest CCNA book from Sybex? Also should I take it all at once or the 2 tests?

Back