Best way to fold with a set of identical computers

visionviper

[H]ard|Gawd
I am looking into taking a big jump into folding for the [H]ord and I am currently looking into setting up 10 systems with identical specs for folding. What would be the best way to take advantage of all the computing power? Setup an OS and the folding client on each computer or use each computer as a node and have a micro supercomputer thing going? I plan on using either low cost single core or dual core Athlons.

If you are wondering, these are the two processors I am looking at:
AMD LE-1640
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+

Should I take the dual cores over the single cores?

With duel core you can run the SMP client, and that will give many more points per system.

One note:

Folding is tied to the total cpu power not how many computers you have. I would wager that 4 Q6600 systems will out fold (by a good margin) the 10 boxen above.

Linux is the best, can't beat price and it is a tad faster.

Each system with it's own setup is the best way (in my opinion)

You can also fold diskless running a live CD that has the FAH proggy on it and back up to a USB stick.

Ohhh and an early welcome to the [H]orde :cool:

Dual core is always preferred to single core. The SMP client will get you WAY better numbers. But in terms of bang for the buck, the Q6600 is where you should be looking. You'll get better production with fewer systems and draw less power.

I would do some research and see what kind of ppd they 10 machines will do. then look and see what 2-4 quads will do. Unless you have a ton of parts to build all of the comps with I would think that the money would be better spent on some quads.

Thanks for the help guys. I took a look around for setting up 5 Q6600 rigs and it would cost about the same as 10 of what I was previously thinking so that is what I plan to go with now.

Also, the general consensus seems to be run each computer independently so I will probably do that.

Glad we could help..... I might of just added some one to my threat list though ;)

5 Q6600's will pump some serious WU.

Are you going to OC?

Of course :D

Nothing insane - just something that is easily handled by stock cooling.

I think you can do a 300 FSB with stock as long as you have good air flow. With how hard FAH pushes the CPU, I wouldn't go any higher.

With out you busting the bank, this guy let me hit 3.4 on my diskless quads. Good HSF and not on the spendy side.

A Q6600 running two clients on stock will push ~1300 ppd client.
A Q6600 @ 3.4 will push ~2k ppd per client

Stock: 13k for all boxen
OC @3.4: 20k for all boxen

It's a nice step up for a few extra $$

(your mileage may vary)

I've got my Quads at 3.1 Ghz, 345x9 +0.1 vcore, and each of my VM's is doing an average of 2080 PpD.
I've also noticed that I'm 4-5C cooler while running the VM's vs while I'm stress testing with dual copies of Orthos running the Gromacs test.

5x Quads should get you around 10,000 PpD with luck and pull around 850 watts from the wall.

Luck ............ :D

HUH? 5 Quads running dual SMP's = 20k PPD Or did I miss where he was only installing one SMP?

Tigerbiten had a brain fart. We are actually looking at 18000 - 20000 ppd for 5 quads.

its hard not to get 4k out of a Quad I mean if you get any type of HSF and get them to 3.2-3.6 Ghz you can easily average 4.2-4.4k per box and if you get a Q6600 that just works all the mojo at 3.6Ghz you will get 4650 + out of a single quad. I still have no idea why that one is producing so well!!!

My other two 3.6's only get 4.4K... lol. Oh my I've become a foldign snob. Oh they only get 4.4k.. only... yeah right that is still damn good.. Sorry don't mean to sound that way!!!
I say only cuz I like tinkering and love to max each box!

My Q6600 can do 3.6 while having a finger in the nose. This one will go on my 2nd best box with a Asus P5K-E/Wifi-AP, Mushkin DDR2-800 2x1Gb and Thermalrighr Ultra-120 (bought one off a fellow member who live 2 hours away from me so it's a great deal). This box will be at 3.6 hopefully without the temps shooting thru the ceiling. My main box will have a Q9450 and I'll push as hard as possible to 8x500 (more realistically, 8x475 for 3.8 GHz and about 5200 ppd).

For the rest, hope the Q6600 I will be buying is not duds. I'll see by the end of april after the price cuts.

I was always curioius if it would be worth buying a quad for $200 and if it doesn't hit 3.6Ghz selling it for $150 and buying another and keep doing that until you get your whole farm at 3.6..

I was always curioius if it would be worth buying a quad for $200 and if it doesn't hit 3.6Ghz selling it for $150 and buying another and keep doing that until you get your whole farm at 3.6..

You are so single :p

Wife would kill me!

Sunin, if you do that, I'm willing to pick what you don't like. 3.2 for pure folding boxes is ok ;) I might even squeeze a extra box...

Sunin, if you do that, I'm willing to pick what you don't like. 3.2 for pure folding boxes is ok ;) I might even squeeze a extra box...

ditto.... I have 2 E2160's and a E4500 that I want to upgrade :cool:

Back