Best way to fold on a q6600?

st4rk

Gawd
1. 64bit linux with smp client
2. Windows with 2 vmwares, using 2 cpu's each, running 64bit linux, smp clients
3. windows with 4 vmwares, running 1 cpu each, 64bit linux clients, console
4. 2 smp clients in windows
5. 2 smp clients in linux (possible?)

BTW, is there a link somewhere that shows you how to setup 2 smp clients on a q6600?

Thanks.

This is aldamon's clients .. Might want to shoot him a PM. He has a good setup going on!

aldamonsmpwindowsubuntu.gif

Is it a pure folding box or a games/folding box ?

A pure folding box works best with 2x Linux VM's.
A game/folding box would probably be best with 1x Linux VM & 1x Windoze SMP client, as that combo is slight more responsive.

There's always my guide on how to set up a VM Here.

Luck ............ :D

Is it a pure folding box or a games/folding box ?

A pure folding box works best with 2x Linux VM's.
A game/folding box would probably be best with 1x Linux VM & 1x Windoze SMP client, as that combo is slight more responsive.

There's always my guide on how to set up a VM Here.

Luck ............ :D

I agree. If you still want a peppy box, only run 1 vm and 1 windows smp client. Running a single vm on a dual core made my pc pretty sluggish for everyday tasks so its a pure linux box now.

I've got 2x VMs on a gaming/development machine, but on 4 gigs ram....I just kill the FAH client in one of the VMs when I'm gonna do anything processor intensive, and it's good to go

Actually by limiting the ram available to each client to around 500 MEGS you don’t lose much performance at all.

Even a standard win smp configuration I do that and have gone as low as 300 MEGS before I noticed a hit in performance.

What I have not done is try VM under Vista 64. Has anyone tried this without having to disable driver signing etc?

Fold on;)

Actually by limiting the ram available to each client to around 500 MEGS you don’t lose much performance at all.

Even a standard win smp configuration I do that and have gone as low as 300 MEGS before I noticed a hit in performance.

What I have not done is try VM under Vista 64. Has anyone tried this without having to disable driver signing etc?

Fold on;)

doesnt work that i've tried...granted, it's not hard to hit f8 on restart every other week

It's not only the RAM. VMWare doesn't run in the background or IDLE, so with dual VMs there is only a fraction of CPU left for Windows or anything else you want to do.

VMWare doesn't run in the background or IDLE, so with dual VMs there is only a fraction of CPU left for Windows or anything else you want to do.

honestly, my VMs only hit about 92-95% w/ fah, so games withstanding, it's fine

I thank you for the answers, now going out of the box for a moment. Has anyone tried Microsoft’s virtual server or Virtual Iron? If so, the good and bad parts;)

I like both Virtual Server and VMware. Virtual Server of course integrates with windows alot better than VMware, and the web portion is easier to setup too.

I've just worked with VMware too much and am more comfortable with that.

I think I'm going to get that fahmon program and do alot of testing :)

Yeah, the 4GB helps there. 2GB + 2x VM + 95% CPU ultilization = no fun on Windows XP.

Fair point....I'm only running mine w/ 512 ram allocated to each as well, so it still leaves me with 3 gigs left for OS + apps

Well spent a crapload of time trying different things last night. Tried to install vmware in 64bit vista, but that bombed. Tried to do the USB drive folding, but the computer wouldn't boot from the usb drive. Tried to do the cdrom one, but that didn't work either, the iso file I burned apparently isn't bootable or something.

So I wound up stumbling upon a link on some ukrainian forum about a FAH affinity setter. It checks the fah processes every ten minutes and adjusts the affinities if they have changed. It's pretty much designed for people who run two SMP clients on the q6600's.

After registering for the russian forum which had everything cyrillic (took FOREVER), the download link wound up not working. So I managed to find a link to it in Google.

So now I'm running two smp clients and the area near my computer is now nice and toasty :)

I'm just dissapointed that the usb and cdrom options did not wind up working for me.

Back