Best way to compress fraps files

Sikkyu

I Question Reality
Ok so I do alot of fraps recordings... like 800-1500 gigs worth. I use premire cs3, (cs4 is bugged liek crazy and i get that gay install error now)

Anyway I was wondering if there is a better video editor that compresses videos in high def better. It doesn't have to be much of an editor, but I do want to make the 10min long youtube videos, i just want to take advantage of my 920 instead of the incredibly gimped cs3.

or what is the best codec to export to, currently im exporting in .flv

If i can find a program that can just sit there and crunch data and use my 920 at 100% and get it done in 10 mins rather then 1.5 hours that would be great.

well i did some looking and came across this

http://fixounet.free.fr/avidemux/

Avidemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks. It supports many file types, including AVI, DVD compatible MPEG files, MP4 and ASF, using a variety of codecs. Tasks can be automated using projects, job queue and powerful scripting

it does HD, has anyone used this? is it faster then CS3 at rendering?

I've written a couple bat files that I use for encoding my Fraps recordings (quickly and well). First up, I have the lossless variation incase I'm doing mostly static desktop recordings:

Code:
SETLOCAL ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION
SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS
for /F "delims=;" %%A IN ('dir /b *.avi') DO (
ffmpeg -i "%%A" -acodec ac3 -ab 192000 "%%~nA.ac3"
ffmpeg -i "%%A" -vcodec rawvideo -f yuv4mpegpipe -an -pix_fmt yuv420p - | x264.x64 - --stdin y4m --crf 0 --bframes 5 --b-adapt 2 --ref 4 --mixed-refs --no-fast-pskip --direct auto --deblock -3:-3 --subme 10 --trellis 2 --analyse all --8x8dct --me umh --output "%%~nA.noaudio.mkv"
mkvmerge -o "%%~nA - lossless.mkv" --forced-track 1:no -d 1 -A -S "%%~nA.noaudio.mkv" --forced-track 0:no -a 0 -D -S "%%~nA.ac3" --track-order 0:1,1:0
del "%%~nA.ac3"
del "%%~nA.noaudio.mkv"
)
pause

For the other one, I use a lossy mode that's pretty indistinguishable between the source and the encode in motion:

Code:
SETLOCAL ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION
SETLOCAL ENABLEEXTENSIONS
for /F "delims=;" %%A IN ('dir /b *.avi') DO (
ffmpeg -i "%%A" -acodec ac3 -ab 192000 "%%~nA.ac3"
ffmpeg -i "%%A" -vcodec rawvideo -f yuv4mpegpipe -an -pix_fmt yuv420p - | x264.x64 - --stdin y4m --crf 19 --bframes 5 --b-adapt 2 --ref 4 --mixed-refs --no-fast-pskip --direct auto --deblock -3:-3 --subme 10 --trellis 2 --analyse all --8x8dct --me umh --output "%%~nA.noaudio.mkv"
mkvmerge -o "%%~nA.final.mkv" --forced-track 1:no -d 1 -A -S "%%~nA.noaudio.mkv" --forced-track 0:no -a 0 -D -S "%%~nA.ac3" --track-order 0:1,1:0
del "%%~nA.ac3"
del "%%~nA.noaudio.mkv"
)
pause

Both use the same process. Convert the PCM that Fraps records to 192kbps AC3 using ffmpeg, convert the video to H.264 using x264 (fed by ffmpeg), then mux the audio and video using mkvmerge. Of course, you can easily change most settings in here. Want an MP4 instead? No problem, just replace a couple lines to use mp4box instead of mkvmerge. The only thing you don't want to do is replace x264 as it's one of, if not the best video encoder there is in terms of quality and speed.

Now, since I don't do any post processing, I don't have to worry about compatibility issues when trying to open the files.. but if you are, use ffmpeg to convert the video to HuffYUV so that you can more easily edit it, and then after you've exported the final product, a run of either of those bats should suffice.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply, yeah i ended up use not useing CS3, its great for for editing but rendering is painfull and i was really just wanting to merge/compess the files.

I ended up using a program that does both. I just look in my file explorer and see if its under 10 mins for youtube. Converting 10 mins of fraps takes about 4-6 mins on my system so much better then an hour+ in CS3.

Im posting from work so I dont know the exact name of the program but if anyone wants it I can double check when i go home.

If anyone wants to see the results its on my youtube channel. www.youtube.com/user/sikkyu

I ended up uploading an entire playthough of ME2. yeah... that was alot of parts, 99 to be exact.

Back