Best way to clone a Windows 10 Installation

Digital Viper-X-

[H]F Junkie
From a HDD to an SSD, the HDD partition might be larger :p

I remember that Acronis used to take care of re-sizing partitions, not sure how that will work with windows 10 though.

Hmm I was about to say pucker up and push more but that would be too harsh, or? :D

I've cloned 3 windows 10 drives with the current version of Acronis. I had no problems. It will resize on the fly.

Acronis works great unless you are trying to clone PCIe NVMe devices in which case it doesn't work at all.

I was unaware of that. Thank you for the info.

It isn't an Acronis issue but rather a function of the Linux boot kernel the software boots into for disk cloning that doesn't support NVMe. Intel's Data Migration tool is basically a free version of Acronis and even it doesn't support doing PCIe NVMe cloning.

I used free version of this when I cloned Win8 from HDD to SSD and it worked fine.

http://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-partition-assistant.html
"If you need to migrate system to SSD or copy one hard drive to another new and so on, the program can also achieve your purpose flexibly."

And I use this other free product of theirs to do weekly backups. Both are good progs and free.

http://www.aomeitech.com/aomei-backupper.html

• Backup Options: file backup, system backup, disk/partition backup, etc.
  • Clone Options: disk clone, partition clone, system clone.
  • Supports schedule backup, incremental backup and differential backup.
  • Support dissimilar hardware restore.
  • Utilities: PXE boot tool, merge images, create bootable disk, check image.

Why not just use the backup feature built into literally every Windows OS since Windows 7?

Why not just use the backup feature built into literally every Windows OS since Windows 7?
On Windows 7 at least, it backs up the whole of every drive you have installed anything to and doesnt allow it to be deselected.
I want to back up just my OS drive.
I dont want to backup all my games and apps I avoided putting on my OS drive, they can easily be replaced.

Back