Best way to check Security

coold8

Limp Gawd
Hi all,

I want to know which way you believe is the best way to check for security vulnurbilities on my home network. I have an IPCop firewall. I am not an experienced hacker, and I ahve tested Sygate Online Services, Shields Up, Broadband Reports Port Scans, AuditmyPC and a few others, and they all came up clean. I checked for viruses and antispyware, they came up clean, I just want to confirm that I am actually secure before I start connecting to a VPN. Thanks.

you're connecting to a VPN... is this for work? Does your work have a written policy regarding VPN and required security for home PCs?

I can't honestly say you're secure. There's so many areas you could be lacking in. For example, who has access to the computer you're using? Do you write passwords down and store them in areas others can see? You understand what I'm getting at?

You can block all your ports, have a firewall in place and an IDS/IPS, run anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc... and there's still a possibility of being hacked.

But, you probably are "safer" than most... :p

The company requires a lack-luster security, basically, any kind of router as long as it has a firewall and SPI. It seems a little lacking in specifics to me so I just want something for my own peace of mind. I ran basically every security check known to man, and I guess I am secure. I am just asking for any other general suggestions.

Back