best way to build network/storage system?

bjamm

Gawd
Hey I'm looking to build a possible file server for mostly music, movies and tv shows.

Basically I have run out of room inside my normal computer case to add any more hard drives and am out of space. I would like to build or find the best way to get a box with up to maybe 10 hard drives. I basically would like to be able to play them over XBMC or even xb360 media extender if possible. I figured there has to be a cheaper way to build one than building a whole sencond computer that can only hold maybe another 4-6 hdd. These will be all more than likely SATA drives as well. I've already got 1.6TB of space and am needing more..

what do you suggest?

Depending on how much you want to spend, and what kind of write performance you want, put together a low budget system with a beefy PSU, throw in a couple SATA controllers, and software raid the drives in Linux. Or get a controller card that does RAID5 and use that to raid the drives. Depending on how many boxes you're serving, you'll probably be best off using linux either way, because Samba doesnt have WinXP's 10-connection limit - need to get a server edition to not be limited by this. Why would a second computer be limited to only 4-6 hdd? Although if you get more drives than this, it may be a good idea to get a controller that does staggered spinup.

What is your budget and how much capacity are you looking to end up with?

Though I have zero experience with it, what RavenD is suggesting seems to be more and more popular these days. I've also been meaning to try freenas but have not gotten the time so I'm not sure if it is a worthy option.

Well, I'm unsure on the budget, i just started looking into this but some of these setups im seeing are over a 1500 which is way more than I want to spend for disk space.

I'd like to start out with ~ 2-3tb of space (maybe 4x500gb drives plus my current 4x250gb setup) with potential to double or triple that with ease. Im just tired of having to buy a big case to support my need for space then be in trouble when I fill it up. Write performance isnt a big deal right now as its only accessed by 2-3 components (my main pc, xbox, xb360)

I do have all the necessary parts to put together a second box, i have an older amd 3100+ setup waiting ot be put back together... anything i could do with that?

If i did that would i just need to buy a raid5 card and a big enough case/power supply to handle maybe 6-8hdd to start? What are a few good cases/enclosures for this without breaking the bank? (comparing to that rackmount for $800 seems high to me)

bjamm said:
If i did that would i just need to buy a raid5 card and a big enough case/power supply to handle maybe 6-8hdd to start? What are a few good cases/enclosures for this without breaking the bank? (comparing to that rackmount for $800 seems high to me)
Yes, and that's the route I'd take. As for good case, there are two ways to go (as I see it): big consumer gear, or small business gear. The big consumer case of choice seems to be the CoolerMaster Stacker (or one of the other variants - I just linked the cheapest Stacker). Then add in 5-in-3 hotswap bays (there are black ones, too, OOS at NE) until you've got enough capacity. Ockie used 4 of those and 20 drives (plus a seperate boot disk) for 10TB of capacity. Look in the Worklogs forum for Galaxy 3.0. The other alternative is the line of Supermicro cases with hotswap bays built in. They're a bit more expensive (and a good deal louder), but the cooling and power is all taken care of with these. Here's one for $494 with 8 hotswap sata/sas bays, 800W power supply, and room for one of those 5-in-3s for later expansion. It's more money all at once, but then you've got room for 8 drives and room to go 13 later. If that particular one doesn't strike your fancy, there are quite a few other variants on that theme - take a look around Wiredzone.com and you'll see what I mean.

For power supply, either use what comes with the Supermicro case (they're Ablecom, they kick ass) or buy a large single-rail PSU or one that acts like it's single-rail. See the PSU forum for more details.

i would stay away from the thermaltake ones as they have significantly less space 10 drive bays each

While the stackers are very well built and cheaper
and if you do a little bit of modding you will be able to get 4 of those supermicro drive bays in :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119042

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119092

To be honest, for this specific need, you would be better off building a fileserver and running Windows MCE.

thats not bad. what kind of power supply you put in it?

I put in a Corsair 520HX power supply.

My system currently is running 3 250 GB drives, 160 GB (system drive), 1 DVD-RW drive, and an ATI 1950Pro video card. I'm about to switch out the 250 drives for 3 500's that I just grabbed from Newegg a couple days ago.

The case has plenty of room for extra drives, of course I added an extra 120 mm fan to the front which takes up 3 bays, but I really don't think it is needed unless you are planning on overclocking.

The case has quite a bit of room inside, and the two drive bays over the power supply are usable. I would highly recommend trying to find some left-angle SATA cables (if they exist) for those bays though, since it is a tight fit between the drive and the 3 fans.

My only complaints on the system are as follows;

1) no removable motherboard tray (and the one they have is pretty thin and flexible).
2) USB/Power/Firewire ports all located on the bottom of the unit.
3) PS fan intake (for PS with a bottom fan) is at the bottom of the case.
4) Hard drive bays above the power supply.

Basically, problems 2 and 3 result in the system needing to be put on a shelf or desk that is high enough for you to reach. Carpet would interfere with the airflow into the power supply, and that means the power supply isn't pulling any air out of the case so you have to rely on the 120 mm fan in the back and the 3 hard drives fans on the side (and any additional fans you add).

Problem 4 is that the drives, when installed, are resting on the bottom of the drive bay. Since the power and SATA connectors are on the bottom of the drive, that means that right-angle adapters will not fit (which would help alleviate fears of the cables coming into contact with the fans). If they made left-angle SATA cables, that would resolve the problem. Or they could have just elevated the drive slots 1/4 of an inch and avoided the issue all together.

The case can accomidate 10 hard drives in the front bays, plus 2 more over the power supply (with the above issue noted).

As to the above idea of running Windows MCE, umm no. MCE has issues with networking (drive mapping, joining a domain, etc.). If you really want a fileserver, either go with a flavor of Linux or use Windows XP.

Freenas is pretty nice actually, if all you are needing is file storage and nothing else. You can install it on the box and then tuck the box away in a closet or something without a keyboard, mouse, or monitor. Everything is done remotely by a webpage interface.

I have a stacker stc-01 running off an old 550W Antec true power

the STC has support for 2 power supplies the 810/820 support one but they have 2 120mm fans on the back(stc only has 1)

there are 12 5.25" drive bays along the front (with a wee bit of modding)

using the very cheap cooler master 4 in3s i can fit 16 drives in there easily atm i only have 8 in it

using the super micro 5in3s that’s 20 drives in there :)

and now i have 2 stackers (1 810 on the way and the STC here) 32 drives is what i am planning to store in them(bolted together probably replace the Antec when I get half way there and get 2 more psus :))

i would stay away from the thermaltake ones as they have significantly less space 10 drive bays each

While the stackers are very well built and cheaper
and if you do a little bit of modding you will be able to get 4 of those supermicro drive bays in :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119042

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119092

Well I was just about to order a stacker and now Frys has this case for 139.99 (local no shipping charges either) Would this thermaltake with 11 bays work better?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133032

Any opinions. Seems like a good deal for the price

well nevermind, after looking at reviews its not really 11 its actually 10 as the bottom bay is already used? Seems fishy, maybe i will get the CM 810

As another option for a case, check out the Aerocool Masstige. I just got one and I really like it :) Not to mention it was only around $100.

I just bought this case in Germany, where it's called Bay Dream. It is rather nice, but hiding cables is rather difficult imho. I would need to do quite a bit more case modding in order to get all cables hidden. I like it nonetheless.

I just went through this case buying process. I skipped the coolermaster. Those 5 in 3 bays are $120 each and the coolermaster case is $140. Just get a high end Lian Li V2000 server case. It can fit plenty of hard drives. Sure they're not hot swappable, but those drives in the hot swappable bay are not really hot swappable either. Get a server class motherboard, with server memory and server processor. You can find some 500Gb drives around for $150 now and I'd go with them. Be sure to buy a SATA RAID card that can expand dynamically. That will let you add drives as you go. Be sure to backup critical data.

well nevermind, after looking at reviews its not really 11 its actually 10 as the bottom bay is already used? Seems fishy, maybe i will get the CM 810

One bay is used for the power and reset switch, but it can still hold a drive. In addition, there are three internal 3.5" slots towards the back of the case, with a fan. Note also that the front iCages, which have fans for the drives, contain 3 drives in 3 slots each, and only one is supplied with the case.

This can hold 9 + 3 = 12 hard drives with stock iCages. It only comes with 1 iCage, and you'd have to add two more (or perhaps better, some Lian Li cages which have greater density, allowing another 3 drives (if they fit)). The iCages are around $20 each. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811999141 You can still use the 2 additional front slots without a cage, but that would leave them without active cooling. Floppy and optical would fill them.

Such bigger Thermaltakes are IMO better built and designed than the typical desktop ones, which justifies part of the premium, but I'm sure there are several good alternatives in addition.

well I got the case. Frys actually had the upgraded model with the side window for 139.99 so i picked it up. Compared to $190 at Newegg, seems like a good deal, plus I shouldnt have to worry about cooling, the fan is HUGE at 250mm.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133021

Im going to get a icage or two for 15 each shipped from amazon.

I also have a Ultra ULT-XF500 Power supply sitting around which i'll probably throw in there, I guess it should be powerful enough for what ill be doing.

Now im onto the mobo/cpu part. I want to get something cheaper. I currently am running an AMD 64 939 3500 and Asus A8n-SLI Deluxe with 2gb DDR.

I think that should be powerful enough to run it? What kind of card do i need to get to add more SATA Drives? That way I can get something newer for my main pc, maybe DUO2 or I'd be happy with a cheap AMD x2 dual core. I dont game much anymore cuz I got a xbox 360.

Back