Best way to bring Wifi into RV?

wildbill001

Weaksauce
Currently living/working in our RV while we are looking for a new home. Most RV parks have WiFi which works for my purpose IF I am outside. Once I step into the RV it is like stepping into a Faraday cage, i.e., the signal strength drops to almost useless levels.

What I'd like to be able to do is grab the signal (maybe a Ubiquiti?), get the park's IP address. Feed that into a existing WRT54G (as if it was connected to the WAN) via CAT-5 cable which would then be my "inside" WiFi. I know I don't want a repeater because I will lose bandwidth. Looks like I want to do a bridge (client?) but am not sure what to get for the initial signal grab.

Thoughts, suggestions, comments, welcome.

Or am I completely nuts and just need to get a rainsuit and an umbrella and work outside? :D

you could mount a wi - fi anteena out side or on top of the R V if You Know How ?? then run the cable to your pc / laptop

A ubiquiti nanostation would probably work quite well mounted on the exterior of your RV. Ubiquiti also makes a device called an "AirGateway" for this exact purpose. The AirGateway simply plugs into the POE injector for the NanoStation (you may need a nanoBeam instead, as they slightly changed the POE injector design), and it acts as your WiFi router for inside the RV.

http://www.ubnt.com/airmax/airgateway/
It costs $20.

A ubiquiti nanostation would probably work quite well mounted on the exterior of your RV. Ubiquiti also makes a device called an "AirGateway" for this exact purpose. The AirGateway simply plugs into the POE injector for the NanoStation (you may need a nanoBeam instead, as they slightly changed the POE injector design), and it acts as your WiFi router for inside the RV.

http://www.ubnt.com/airmax/airgateway/
It costs $20.

this, loco m2 and an airgate and you're good2go... just point it towards the general vicinity of your park's wifi ap

Let me make sure I got this down.
- Nanostation to grab the signal
- An AirMax to bring down into the RV/Motorhome.

In effect, I would be creating a wireless bridge, kinda like a microwave setup, eh?
Questions:
  • Would I still need the WRT54G to provide the WiFi in the motorhome (I have 2 laptops, and a couple of phones that need net access. And those need access to a couple of servers in the motorhome. So figure about 6 connections all together)?
  • Not sure I understand the purpose of the AirMax? Couldn't I just plug my WRT54G info the nanostation?
  • Will the above setup will work with just about any WiFi network?

Thanks again for the advice. This stuff makes my head hurt after a while :eek:

Let me make sure I got this down.
- Nanostation to grab the signal
- An AirMax to bring down into the RV/Motorhome.

In effect, I would be creating a wireless bridge, kinda like a microwave setup, eh?
Questions:
  • Would I still need the WRT54G to provide the WiFi in the motorhome (I have 2 laptops, and a couple of phones that need net access. And those need access to a couple of servers in the motorhome. So figure about 6 connections all together)?
  • Not sure I understand the purpose of the AirMax? Couldn't I just plug my WRT54G info the nanostation?
  • Will the above setup will work with just about any WiFi network?

Thanks again for the advice. This stuff makes my head hurt after a while :eek:

"AirMax" is the wireless technology, AirGateway is the product. Here is a diagram:
paint-senario-airGateway-1024x606.png

In that setup, you would not need a WRT54G. If you already have one and don't want to spend the $20 on an AirGateway, you can use it. The performance will be sub-par in comparison to the AirGateway though.

Back