Best way to boost wifi signal

Ok, so I have a linksys WRT54G router directly connected to one desktop in one room and another desktop in another room on the other side of the house connected via usb stick type wifi adapter. Unfortunately at this distance and with so many walls in between (two of them concrete) the wifi signal is weak at best but usually non existent. So my question is what is the best way to boost my routers wifi signal?

1.Install Buffalo or ddwrt and there's a tab in there to boost signal strenght.. Don't boost too high, you might fry your router.

2.Change your wireless channel.

Wireless routers can broadcast on several different channels, similar to the way radio stations use different channels. In the United States and Canada, these channels are 1, 6, and 11. Just like you'll sometimes hear interference on one radio station while another is perfectly clear, sometimes one wireless channel is clearer than others. Try changing your wireless router's channel through your router's configuration page to see if your signal strength improves. You don't need to change your computer's configuration, because it'll automatically detect the new channel.

3. Reduce wireless interference.

If you have cordless phones or other wireless electronics in your home, your computer might not be able to "hear" your router over the noise from the other wireless devices. To quiet the noise, avoid wireless electronics that use the 2.4GHz frequency. Instead, look for cordless phones that use the 5.8GHz or 900MHz frequencies.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back