Best way to block all traffic from China

This might help: http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?topic=44568.0

Apparently, you have to use the "Legacy" NICs in Hyper-V.

If you want to use VMWare, I believe ESX/ESXi would be what you want. It's bare-metal, so you would also virtualize the backup server. I have no real-world experience with VMWare (maybe someone with some experience can speak up here) but it appears ESXi is a stripped-down version, and ESX is Linux-based and includes a management toolkit of some sort. Maybe someone else can clarify further. I'm pretty sure they're both a free download, though.

That would be correct, the Hyper-V Integration package is only supported officially under Red hat Enterprise, Suse, and another small distro. It is also dependent on what version of the kernel the build is running, it is my understanding that newer versions of the kernel hold this tool kit and you can get full Hyper-V integration.

Depending on your configuration there are two disadvantages of the Legacy Network Adapter worth noting. 1) You cannot tag/assign VLAN's to legacy network adapters 2) The performance versus the native/normal adapter is less as it isn't as efficient in passing through the Hyper-V stack. You will notice when you ping it you will receive 1-3ms response times instead of >1ms as per normal.

Sorry about the brain dump, being a VCP/MCITP in HV just want to help

Back