best way to back up 4TB

savager1

n00b
Hello,

I currently have about 4TB of data that I have backed up. It is currently backed up on a opensolaris box with 4x 1TB drives running RAIDZ1. The data that I have backed up is not critical. That said, I would like to keep it. Now, from my understanding RAIDZ1 is similar to RAID5, which survives if one disk has a failure. I've already had to replace/resilver the disks once. The drives must have been part of a bad batch as there were 2 different disks that had the same issue...but that's another story. But basically RAIDZ2 is basically like RAID6 I believe, which can survive 2 disk failures and still operate. Now, I am running close to capacity on this NAS. The NAS isn't turned on all the time. It's pretty much a backup station. The reason why I created it to be a NAS running opensolaris is that I got the hardware cheap and I thought it would be funky to play with opensolaris.

I would like to add another system/device so that if more than one drive fails in my NAS I won't lose data. I have loaded up my gaming pc with another spare 2x 1TB drives and 1x 460GB drives. I was going to buy some more drives and copy over the data from my NAS to those other 4 drives, but haven't started that yet as I wanted to get the correct technology/setup this time.

Ideally I would like a new system running all new hardware, but that's not the issue I can build a new system or even buy a dell server if required. The issue is working out what technology is good for backing up 4TB of data. Should I go NAS/Tape/FreeNAS/software that comes with Thecus device or just standard disks...

So, in summary I guess I would like advice on a system such as Thecus/QNAP or build my own system and then what backup/NAS software to use? If you want you can recommend parts as well..if you want.

Thanks

2x2TB drives. I love the Samsung F4's.

I would just buy an external docking bay and if you have e-sata run them through that. This is what I use Startech eSata

Or if you don't want a dock put the 2x2TB into your gaming rig. I prefer not to do this though in case of surges which could take down the entire system. Thats why I am a big dock fan.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
if you want to have the same level of data-security and protection against silent data-errors,
then you should create a second (or third) mirrored or raid-z(1-3) pool for backups.

After a backup, you could export and unplug this pool.
(or use a second machine on another physical place)

Gea

I would give the same advice as mmmmmdonuts.

USB-3 is another option. As is cases for the drives rather than the docking station. I have both depending on how much I will be moving the drives.

Whatever backup solution you choose, I think it would be prudent to make it an offsite backup.

If you want to protect against multiple disk failures in your nas then the best bet is to do what Gea suggested and move to a raid-z2 or raid-z3 (two or three parity disks, so data integrity is preserved with two or three hard drive failures).

If you want an additional backup of your nas then yeah, I would just go with some external hard drives and rotate them off site. (Disk failure redundancy in the backup of your backup seems overkill - if you really need that level of protection then build a duplicate nas, sync it up on a schedule with zfs send/receive, and the keep it offsite).

Chris

Back