Best way to allocate $500 budget?

Seufari

Gawd
Here is how I think the best way to allocate my $500 budget... What do you think?

CPU: $100
MOBO: $75
RAM: $75
VC: $100
CASE: $50
PSU: $50
OPTICAL: $30
Fans and Accesories: $15

Should I be allocating my funds differently?

Do you need a HDD? If possible, I would try to spend less on the case (~$25) and MB (~$50), and then spend that extra $50 on the GPU. I don't mind cheap cases though, and some people do.

Answer the sticky and we can answer your allocation question. ;) The best way to allocate funds is according to your usage and needs. Without knowing those things, any answer is presumptuous. /shrug

generally speaking, your allocation looks fine, though. :p However, if this were a gaming machine, I'd drop the case down to $35, drop fans down to $5 (case should come with one, so you should need just one more), CPU down to $65 (dual core is fine for gaming), and put the saved cash towards a better vidcard (gaming is highly dependent on the gpu, hehe). :D

Less on ram, more on CPU. CPU is the single more important component on a computer. You should be able to get 2GB of ram for $40. With a $500 system, 2GB is enough, the rest is better spent elsewhere (more bang for your buck). Ram is one of those things where once you reach a certain point (2-3GB) for the majority of people, the performance gain really bottoms out.

Any day of the week I would take a high end CPU with lower end GPU/Memory than a lot of memory/gpu and a budget CPU.

Back