Best way to add wireless charging to pixel 4 xl?

Justintoxicated

[H]F Junkie
I want to add wireless charging to my pixel 4xl since the factory wireless charging does not work right. What is the best way to do this.

I can't just buy a pixel stand to make it work right because I want to use the wireless charging pad in my car.

Thanks!

How does it not work right? It's compatible with any Qi charger and Qi's faster 11W EPP wireless charging as well if your car charger supports it. I'm guessing that's not the case though and you're pretty SoL there unless you want to modify your car charger to support it somehow.

My car has a wireless charger built in too, but I find it pretty useless since I have to plug my phone in to use Android Auto anyways.

Usually you just buy an inductive coil that plugs into the usb port on the phone and put it under a case, but I'm not sure how that would work when the phone already has that build in. If it's under warranty, I'd take it back and get one that works correctly.

How does it not work right? It's compatible with any Qi charger and Qi's faster 11W EPP wireless charging as well if your car charger supports it. I'm guessing that's not the case though and you're pretty SoL there unless you want to modify your car charger to support it somehow.

My car has a wireless charger built in too, but I find it pretty useless since I have to plug my phone in to use Android Auto anyways.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/17602276?hl=en

I spent an hour in the phone with support only to tell them I need to do a factory reset on a great phone that I just spent 3 hours setting up.

I'm thinking to return both my $120 charging pad and my phone at yours point.

This is the charging pad:
https://getjeda.com/product/jeda-wireless-pad/

Last edited:
If that's the only charger that works with your car and this phone doesn't work correctly with it, I'd dump the phone for a different one.

If that's the only charger that works with your car and this phone doesn't work correctly with it, I'd dump the phone for a different one.
There are others for $50 and $100, but the $50 might not be as good and the other $100+ one does not have the ability to charge a wired phone or do landscape charging.

I plugged in a power bank to the wireless charger, and while it did not jump up to 10 watt+ charging, it also didn't shut down in the middle of charging.

It's already capable of wireless charging.

It sounds like it has issues with non-google chargers based on these posts and the links. For a phone that MSRP'd at $899, it should work with the existing standards it claims to be compatible with.

It's already capable of wireless charging.
Is it though? I tried a couple more chargers and had the same issue. Finally I found a belkin charger that works just fine. I would like to be able to charge it in my car though, that's the one use case where I really want wireless charging to work. Anywhere else it's more of a novelty.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/thread/17602276?hl=en

I spent an hour in the phone with support only to tell them I need to do a factory reset on a great phone that I just spent 3 hours setting up.

I'm thinking to return both my $120 charging pad and my phone at yours point.

This is the charging pad:
https://getjeda.com/product/jeda-wireless-pad/

So Tesla's don't come with wireless chargers standard or you bought that 3rd party charger for better compatibility or what?

Most car manufactures offer wireless chargers in their base or near base trims now, so it's crazy that it's not standard on a Tesla and I sure as hell wouldn't spend $100+ on $5 worth of material to add it to my luxury car either.

So Tesla's don't come with wireless chargers standard or you bought that 3rd party charger for better compatibility or what?

Most car manufactures offer wireless chargers in their base or near base trims now, so it's crazy that it's not standard on a Tesla and I sure as hell wouldn't spend $100+ on $5 worth of material to add it to my luxury car either.
Well you can futs with plugging your phone in while driving then...Or build your own if you have a 3d-printer I suppose?

here is the tesla version: https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3-wireless-phone-charger

No it's not standard, tesla recently added the accessory to their store though. The aftermarket one was supposed to allow both wired and wireless charging, which is why I went with that over the tesla version. It's also supposed to support faster charging speeds. The problem is that there is some kind of incompatibility with pixel 4's and many wireless chargers.

Charger was able to charge my sisters Iphone just fine, but both this one, and the one at my parents house would not charge my phone. I found a belkin that will charge it though (very slowly).

Most car manufactures offer wireless charging on all models? I guess allot has changed in 2 years.

Well you can futs with plugging your phone in while driving then...Or build your own if you have a 3d-printer I suppose?

here is the tesla version: https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-3-wireless-phone-charger

No it's not standard, tesla recently added the accessory to their store though. The aftermarket one was supposed to allow both wired and wireless charging, which is why I went with that over the tesla version. It's also supposed to support faster charging speeds. The problem is that there is some kind of incompatibility with pixel 4's and many wireless chargers.

Charger was able to charge my sisters Iphone just fine, but both this one, and the one at my parents house would not charge my phone. I found a belkin that will charge it though (very slowly).

Most car manufactures offer wireless charging on all models? I guess allot has changed in 2 years.

Yeah, I know GM has offered it in most of their trucks/SUVs and cars since '16 I or so, same with Hyundai and Ford in some of their cars and trucks as well, so I'm sure their luxury brands have them too. I have an XC40 and it seemed standard on those as all the ones I looked at and saw reviews of had wireless charging built in, but as I said, I find it useless since I plug in/dock my phone as soon as I get in so I can use Android Auto (so I do that before driving, not during), which I'm assuming Tesla's don't have AA or Car Play either because they have their own proprietary system they'd rather you use.

I'm guessing the coil on the Pixel 4 just isn't placed in a good spot to where it pairs up close enough with the coil on the 3rd party charger you got for your car. Maybe try putting something under it or flipping it upside down to see if it makes better contact that way. Otherwise it may be a hardware issue with your phone if you're having issues with other wireless chargers outside of the car.

Yeah, I know GM has offered it in most of their trucks/SUVs and cars since '16 I or so, same with Hyundai and Ford in some of their cars and trucks as well, so I'm sure their luxury brands have them too. I have an XC40 and it seemed standard on those as all the ones I looked at and saw reviews of had wireless charging built in, but as I said, I find it useless since I plug in/dock my phone as soon as I get in so I can use Android Auto (so I do that before driving, not during), which I'm assuming Tesla's don't have AA or Car Play either because they have their own proprietary system they'd rather you use.

I'm guessing the coil on the Pixel 4 just isn't placed in a good spot to where it pairs up close enough with the coil on the 3rd party charger you got for your car. Maybe try putting something under it or flipping it upside down to see if it makes better contact that way. Otherwise it may be a hardware issue with your phone if you're having issues with other wireless chargers outside of the car.
I don't think my wife's 2018 xc60 had wireless charging, Maybe the next trim level up had it. She got the car trim, but added the T6 hud 360 camera etc.

Tesla does not have Android auto yet, they could add it I guess, but we're both prefer the Tesla system to her Android auto anyways. First I can ever say that about a built in system. On the xc60 the Android auto subscreen isn't really any larger than if you just mounted they phone to something...

I don't really use ways, so the only thing I'm really missing is audio book player which works ok over Bluetooth.

I pulled the charger out of the car and plugged it into wired charger. It still had the same issue no matter how I line the phone up. Upside down, sideways at the bottom of the charger etc.

But yes so far my experience with wireless charging isn't great. I'm going to try to return it for the $50 taptes version. They landscape mode would be nice if I ever want to run wayz I guess, but it can also do 7.5 watt if I hack it into the 12v system vs 5 watt for the Tesla version. Jeda version I have is supposed to support 10 watt charging but I can't even get it to work at 5 watt (640ma is the highest it will go before the phone disconnects).

As Volvo does interior update on the SPA platform vehicles, wireless charging will be added. The XC40 was the first to get it as the first CMA platform vehicle. It's optional across the BMW and Mini lineup now, although the Mini charger won't fit the iPhone XS Max or iPhone 11 Pro Max with a case on it, they're just a little too long to fit in the armrest, drawbacks to putting the charger there.

Either way, get rid of that Pixel if you intend to use wireless charging, there's clearly a design issue with the amount of chargers that don't work with it and the fact other phones have no issues with those chargers.

I got a new charger dock off amazon that works fine. Still trying to return the charging pad, I may have to dispute payment since the company won't answer. The cheaper pad is verified to work with my phone, so I will just get that one, or go back to wired charging in the dock that came with the car.

Back