Best Way to Achieve Silence AND good temps in air cooled case with 5x00X Processor and Big Navi or RTX3080

johnnysd

Limp Gawd
Hi all

I am looking to put together a new PC. It will use a Ryzen 3 Processor (leaning towards 5600 because of 65W TDP and I game mostly at 4K, but possibly 5800 too) and most likely Big Navi based on the little teaser as I think they showed the 6800 and not the 6900.

So it will be very high end.

Not really interested in AIO or custom water cooled solutions. Air only solutions please.

Want it to be as quiet as possible this is very important but do not want it to cook either. Very sensitive to high frequency noise.

I was planning to use the Alta F1 but that has been delayed to next year and they seem to be completely redesigning it.

OK with buying a case and then swapping out for better fans like from Noctua. Sealed case is fine not going to have glass side or any LED stuff. Prefer to have a USB-C connection.

Thoughts?

Prefer higher end cases so overall budget for case can be in $300 range.

BeQuiet Dark Rock pro 4

Even with the fans at 100% I can barely hear them with my ear to the side of my case (I hate excess noise myself).
250w TDP too so it will keep the CPU nice and cool

BeQuiet Dark Rock pro 4

Even with the fans at 100% I can barely hear them with my ear to the side of my case (I hate excess noise myself).
250w TDP too so it will keep the CPU nice and cool
I have the Dark Rock TF and can confirm be quiet's fans are utterly silent.

Thanks for the advice on the cooler but was hoping for advice on the case itself.

I think noctua DH-15, but the case is important too. Fractal design R6 is what I would recommend (having done extensive research on this). If you need quieter the Fractal S2 is probably the way I would go. The reason being they have support for sata drives and are reasonably quiet. However the quietest case measured at gamersnexus is the Fractal Meshify S2.

To get things even quieter I'd get some firewall sound dampening material and coat the inside of the case with it
something like this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6mm-Aut...ing-Foam-Insulation-Mat-11-8Sqft/323814676218. Made my "server" a lot quieter.

These will be relevant to your interests
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3534-gn-awards-show

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3441-fractal-s2-meshify-case-review

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3177-fractal-define-r6-case-review-mid-tower

You can get the r6 with a solid side panel, I'd go that way and pop the dampening material on the inside of both sides and the top/bottom

Last edited:
I think noctua DH-15, but the case is important too. Fractal design R6 is what I would recommend (having done extensive research on this). If you need quieter the Fractal S2 is probably the way I would go. The reason being they have support for sata drives and are reasonably quiet. However the quietest case measured at gamersnexus is the bequiet pure base 600.

To get things even quieter I'd get some firewall sound dampening material and coat the inside of the case with it
something like this: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6mm-Aut...ing-Foam-Insulation-Mat-11-8Sqft/323814676218. Made my "server" a lot quieter.

These will be relevant to your interests
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3534-gn-awards-show

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2800-be-quiet-pure-base-600-review-quietest-case

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3177-fractal-define-r6-case-review-mid-tower

You can get the r6 with a solid side panel, I'd go that way and pop the dampening material on the inside of both sides and the top/bottom
Lots of good info thanks

Hi all

I am looking to put together a new PC. It will use a Ryzen 3 Processor (leaning towards 5600 because of 65W TDP and I game mostly at 4K, but possibly 5800 too) and most likely Big Navi based on the little teaser as I think they showed the 6800 and not the 6900.

So it will be very high end.

Not really interested in AIO or custom water cooled solutions. Air only solutions please.

Want it to be as quiet as possible this is very important but do not want it to cook either. Very sensitive to high frequency noise.

I was planning to use the Alta F1 but that has been delayed to next year and they seem to be completely redesigning it.

OK with buying a case and then swapping out for better fans like from Noctua. Sealed case is fine not going to have glass side or any LED stuff. Prefer to have a USB-C connection.

Thoughts?

Prefer higher end cases so overall budget for case can be in $300 range.
Make sure the bios in the motherboard you get lets you fine-tune the fan controls. Sure, I have the quietest fans out there, a giant heatsink for the CPU. A triple fan 2080 GPU with a huge heatsink, etc. etc. All the things for the quietest computer possible. However most of the time none of those fans are even moving. This system is DEAD silent unless some demanding game is really pushing it. This comes from 2 primary things. Allowing a significant amount of passive airflow. For example the top center panel of the case is open to let air flow directly up. The other thing is it a lot of time tuning the fan settings so they stay off as much as possible yet cool enough to keep everything safe. I'm runing everything at 4K resolution on a 48 inch Samsung curved TV at 60 hz in 4:4:4 chroma color. Lesser demanding games like Hearthstone don't even start the fans moving. World of Warcraft or Path of Exile make the fans run just enough that if you put your ear up to the case you might hear them, but that's it, at my desk 3 foot away they are inaudible (and I have annoyingly good hearing). Final Fantasy 14 is the only game I play regularly that actually results in an audible whoosh going on while I play. So besides whatever else you get, make sure to take full advantage of all the passive cooling available to you.

Make sure the bios in the motherboard you get lets you fine-tune the fan controls. Sure, I have the quietest fans out there, a giant heatsink for the CPU. A triple fan 2080 GPU with a huge heatsink, etc. etc. All the things for the quietest computer possible. However most of the time none of those fans are even moving. This system is DEAD silent unless some demanding game is really pushing it. This comes from 2 primary things. Allowing a significant amount of passive airflow. For example the top center panel of the case is open to let air flow directly up. The other thing is it a lot of time tuning the fan settings so they stay off as much as possible yet cool enough to keep everything safe. I'm runing everything at 4K resolution on a 48 inch Samsung curved TV at 60 hz in 4:4:4 chroma color. Lesser demanding games like Hearthstone don't even start the fans moving. World of Warcraft or Path of Exile make the fans run just enough that if you put your ear up to the case you might hear them, but that's it, at my desk 3 foot away they are inaudible (and I have annoyingly good hearing). Final Fantasy 14 is the only game I play regularly that actually results in an audible whoosh going on while I play. So besides whatever else you get, make sure to take full advantage of all the passive cooling available to you.
Very sound advice. and things I will definitely do. With the Alta S1 delayed I am just not sure what the chassis model I should use as a starting point. Fractal Define 7 seems solid but thermals could be more challenging, then the other approach using a Mesh chassis like the Be Quite 500DX could work with Noctua fans possibly at really low RPM. Does not really seem to be a chassis like the FT-02 or Alta F1 that straddles both worlds available righjt now.

Be Quiet pwm fans, bc cranked they’re quieter than my noctuas.

I just took off the front of my Define C for the cod Cold War beta.
That dropped 3-4c off cpu and gpu while reducing fan rpm.

Unless you’re fixated on 1 case for edge component reasons look at a range of high airflow case tests.
I’d want 3x140mm intake, big fans spin slower than small fans for a given curve trigger.

Id wait for independent reviews of your planned gpu bc that may or may not alter your case selection.

Be Quiet pwm fans, bc cranked they’re quieter than my noctuas.

I just took off the front of my Define C for the cod Cold War beta.
That dropped 3-4c off cpu and gpu while reducing fan rpm.

Unless you’re fixated on 1 case for edge component reasons look at a range of high airflow case tests.
I’d want 3x140mm intake, big fans spin slower than small fans for a given curve trigger.

Id wait for independent reviews of your planned gpu bc that may or may not alter your case selection.
Good feedback thanks

Back