Best video setup for IRacing? Upgrade from 5970?

ZJChaser

Weaksauce
Building a system for a friends full motion simulator rig and I'm stuck on what to do in regards to the video. Current system has a 5970 that runs ok. We would like to be able to turn the graphics up.

5760x1080 resolution

Being a dual GPU there is some microstuttering with the 5970 as there are no profiles for Iracing. Most of the benchmarks I've seen put the 7970 and the 5970 right on par with each other.

I'm just wondering if its worth upgrading to the 7970 or just waiting until the 7990 comes out. I'm also wondering if xfire 7970 would be the way to go but some people have reported worse frame rates in iracing with crossfire vs single cards.......any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ya I just did a good bit of reading over there. Looks like I'll grab a 7970 and ditch the 5970.. thanks though.

you can snag a reference 7970 for $400 now. I'd try and get a nonreference dual or trifan design for $420 or so. the gtx 670 can do trip monitors as well.

thats interesting. i was thinking about gettingback into iracing. that is a pretty big performance advantage that the 7970 has over the 680 0_0

and because I know you guys will appreciate it...this is what its for. We are replacing the alienware PC that it came with. We already ditched the G27 and upgraded the pedals and steering wheel, the computer is next.

IMAG0056.jpg

I started out useing a HD5850 and then CX .. sold those and upgraded to a HD6950 2Gb which was bios flashed to the HD6970 and it does an awsome job at 5760 x 1080 as the extar ram really payed off.. i run alot of Daytona/Tally where you may have 20 or more cars around you at all times and it holds up very well..

here is a youtube video i did just to show the setup..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJA9Ez6H2NY&feature=plcp

Yeah, the 3GB 7970 should be fine....if you want to go nVidia, multi-GPU setups in SLI work fine with iRacing....but I don't think you need it. One advantage with nVidia is 3D support, not sure if you want to go that route, but I play iRacing with a 3D projector and I love the immerse feel. Good luck :)

Holy moses, how much is that setup worth? Just curious...

Setups like that start around $15K....that one looks like its at least past the $20K mark.

Yup that sim was ~$15k with the logitech G27 and the Alienware PC it came with. It was a demo unit so there was a little price break. The upgraded pedals and steering wheel ran another ~$4k. Not cheap but very reasonable when he uses it to practice for new race tracks before he takes his actual race cars out there.

Yeah, the 3GB 7970 should be fine....if you want to go nVidia, multi-GPU setups in SLI work fine with iRacing....but I don't think you need it. One advantage with nVidia is 3D support, not sure if you want to go that route, but I play iRacing with a 3D projector and I love the immerse feel. Good luck :)

Setups like that start around $15K....that one looks like its at least past the $20K mark.

hmmmm,,,,is there a solid boost in framerate with the nvidias in SLI? I've read mixed reviews but haven't found any actual data confirming one or the other. Some seem to believe the reason for the issues is because they are CPU limit but I dont see that being an issue with the 3930K and XMP 2133 memory that are going into the build...so maybe SLI will play out for a nice boost?

Fanboy: Thats the exact video card progression I went through with my own workstation...running 4960x1600 PLP setup though.

I'll be building a dedicated racing sim setup for myself soon with my old workstation and a trio of 24"s that I have sitting in storage.

Last edited:
and because I know you guys will appreciate it...this is what its for. We are replacing the alienware PC that it came with. We already ditched the G27 and upgraded the pedals and steering wheel, the computer is next.

SNIP

Nice setup! Only thing to improve after that would probably be the speakers and maybe adding some bass shakers to the seats.

Awesome setup but damn $15k, I am selling my spec miata with three sets of wheels for less than that.

I totally understand though. I have a full race sim rig also.

Nice setup! Only thing to improve after that would probably be the speakers and maybe adding some bass shakers to the seats.

speakers seem fine. Its full 5.1 with a decent sub, It gets more than loud enough and sounds decent enough. I dont see the point fr the bass shakers in the full motion rig. Maybe for a stationary setup but I've still never really been a fan of them. There is plenty of shaking going on.

6870 with 2gb of ram would do. I maxed it on a single 6870
That might have done but considering what I saw today 'm glad we went with the 7970. Budget wasn't a concern on this one so the best single GPU card was the way to go.

Awesome setup but damn $15k, I am selling my spec miata with three sets of wheels for less than that.

I totally understand though. I have a full race sim rig also.
oh believe me I hear ya. I have plenty of friends that race spec miata.....and that $15k would go nicely into finally getting my race car back on the road. But the guy that owns this rig has a few race cars already that all cost much more. This rig was purchased primarily as a coaching and training tool for himself to learn new tracks and practice before taking his cars out there....and for that....its awesome!

PS, The new system SMOKED the old one. Hammered on the thing all day. Pretty much maxed out graphics never dropped below 140fps and were often closer to 200 when running single cars on track including the F1 at Spa that was giving the old system trouble. in a full MX5 cup field is never dropped below 90fps

new Fractal design case on the left, old AW on the right.
IMAG0291.jpg

IMAG0289.jpg

Last edited:
This rig was purchased primarily as a coaching and training tool for himself to learn new tracks and practice before taking his cars out there....and for that....its awesome!

That is exactly what I use mine for! Nice rig enjoy it!!!

Back