Best video card of all time?

D3v01D said:
Anything with a VooDoo chipset on it cuz that's what got the ball rolling.
I remember the first time I saw GLQuake on my Diamond Monster 3D, I had to change my underware :D

Next would have to be my 9700 Pro. I pre-ordered it direct from ATI. When I first realized the power of that card I was dumbstruck. It lasted me well over three years.

Definitely have to agree with you on both cards. I originally got the Rendition Vérité 1000 card for vQuake then switched to the Diamond Monster Voodoo. GLQuake was much better. Great card and it lasted me until I paired up some 12MB DM Voodoo 2's for some sli action.

I'm still using my 9700Pro AIW card for vid grabs and pvr. Great gaming card for it's day as well.

Yeah, the 9700pro by far.
On a second thought, the Geforce 2 owned also. :p

I'll vote for the Voodoo 1... A friend picked one up and was telling me all about 3D games, especially Quake. I went to his place, saw it in action and got a Diamond Monster 3D on the way home. No other product has made me do this.

VooDoo by far...

more current I would say 9700 the geforce2 did well... everything else was a splitup....

Still use GeForce 2 MX 40/40 on one of my comps. Runs about anything, cept BF2 and omse newer games.

voodoo 1.... if it were not for 3dfx we probably would have never had all these neato cards that we take for granted.

I'm still waiting on a card that can last through 2-3 series of cards and still be considered good, it's hard to get those ones, because you never know whats coming out when.

The GeForce4 cards were almost as good as the 5 series, a great example as well as the 9600-9800 series cards which were about equal to the x600-x800 cards, not like i'm encourageing the market to stop developeing better hardware but it would be great if they would spend more time createing hardware and ideas rather than rushing it to the shelves every 2-3 weeks, i'd prefer if it was like an event that happend every 6 months on the dot where both ATi and nVidia release their newest cards

0V3RC10CK3D said:
I'm still waiting on a card that can last through 2-3 series of cards and still be considered good, it's hard to get those ones, because you never know whats coming out when.

The GeForce4 cards were almost as good as the 5 series, a great example as well as the 9600-9800 series cards which were about equal to the x600-x800 cards, not like i'm encourageing the market to stop developeing better hardware but it would be great if they would spend more time createing hardware and ideas rather than rushing it to the shelves every 2-3 weeks, i'd prefer if it was like an event that happend every 6 months on the dot where both ATi and nVidia release their newest cards

actually, the x800xt is about 2x faster than a 9800 pro. And, for you guys saying 9800pro, I don't really agree. The 9800 pro was pretty much expected and didn't really make the impact that the 9700p did, the 9700p came out of left field and left everyone with dropped jaws. It was truly ahead of it's time imo.

Oneos said:
Still use GeForce 2 MX 40/40 on one of my comps. Runs about anything, cept BF2 and omse newer games.

Same here... Everyone could have saved their money with all the cards after the GeForce 2 cause that is good enough.

ha!!

Voodoo2 SLI, Voodoo3 3000

TNT2, Geforce 2 GTS, Geforce 3 TI 200 (Ah....Gainward golden sample how I miss you)

9700 Pro (9800 pro too of course...but it was merely a refresh of a 9700 with better shaders and faster clock speeds)

7800 GTX

Just to name a few. ;)

Riva TNT ftw. Voodoo (2) cards paved the way for it, but they only had 16 bit colors and could only run up to 1024x768 in SLI (800x600 in single mode). GLQuake was awesome on my Diamond Viper 550.

RIVA128 gets my vote. It's what got me to switch from consoles to computers.

Riva 128 was teh grainy...but it was nice compared to consoles. ;) Rendition Verite wasn't bad either.

roflcopter said:
Riva TNT ftw. Voodoo (2) cards paved the way for it, but they only had 16 bit colors and could only run up to 1024x768 in SLI (800x600 in single mode). GLQuake was awesome on my Diamond Viper 550.

Ditto. Diamond Viper 550.

ShuttleLuv said:
Riva 128 was teh grainy...but it was nice compared to consoles. ;) Rendition Verite wasn't bad either.

I thought the original Verite was going to be the winner in the beginning. VQuake fo shizzle.

GeForce 2 series hands down...

I had a GeForce 2 MX and I ran it all the way up to Doom 3 b4 I finally upgraded.... the MX was *great* for years and lasted sooo long playable..... I can only imagine how awesome the GTS/Pro/Ultra were if my MX lasted so well.....

Personally, the one card that made more difference in my gaming was the Banshee. I could afford it at the time and it increased my gaming :eek: big time.

sco0oby said:
well when he posts "of all time", you would have to also factor in the effect the card had on it's games during that launch time.

I think some qualifiaction needs to be made.

Best to me is what card can play the games with the highest detail and smoothest gameplay. NO older card can fit that bill.

It's not like hot rods...where the 32 Ford or 63 split window or 69 Camaro...etc...would make the cut, even compared to today's cars.

So, for the purpose here, it seems the author needed to say something like this: Best as in what made you feel invincible when you bought it" A different story, and all the old crap is game.

The cards combining 2D and 3D on a single card...

Voodoo Rush, ATI Rage Pro, NVIDIA RIVA 128, and Rendition Verite 2200.

Later i was quite happy with my cheap mainstream Voodoo Banshee.

:D

Voodoo for sure, it revolutionized the graphics card market. Diamond Monster 3D was the way to go back in the day. This thread should have one of those poll question things at the front.

Will absolutly toss my hat in for 2 of them.. First being 2 Voodoo 2's in SLI, and playing Quake 2 in glide. Wow... Had to hammer out the sheets after playing that...

Afterwards, the GeForce 256 card. That was an incredible jump in performance, and playing HL in that was absolutly amazing.

ati radeon 9500 w/ unlocked pipelines and 256 bit memory bus, I remember getting it for $175, unlocking the extra 4 pipes and voltage modding it.

Nvidia 6800GT (unlocked to or beyond Ultra speeds $100 less)

ATi 9700 Pro (graphics king that pushed the industry to the heights it's at now)

;)

I guess a good way to measure (not sure if someone already stated this) is by how much you can get the same technology today. IOW, the 9700 fairs pretty well if you try to buy it today--kinda puts things in perspective..

voodoo

and

radeon 9700 pro

and

6800 ultra

(just the big massive jump ones)

Back