Best Video Card for my system under $150?

IceDigger

[H]F Junkie
I am looking to upgrade my computer and need some info on the low end video card realm.

I have a budget of only $150 since this is my work pc.

I don't mind if the card is used.

Needs to have 2 or more Display Port ports.

System Specs:

2x Intel Xeon x5670, 48GB ECC DDR3 RAM, NVidia Quadro 2000 1GB, HP Z200 Workstation Mobo, 800w Power Supply.

What displays are you using?
Do you use the GPU for video editing or for CUDA acceleration? If so what version of Adobe programs are you running?

I have 2x HP LA2405wg monitors. I use it mainly for 4 virtual machines, some light gaming, and some video editing.

You don't need DP for those. DVI is also possible. Those monitors are pretty shitty though for such a beast workstation.
They are not 10-bit, so you should indeed go for a cheaper GPU. I have GTX750Ti's in all the workstation system that don't use 10-bit monitors. I don't know why you would game at work though...
The advantage of the Quadro cards is that they don't need any drivers installed in these workstations. Our previous workstations were also from the Quadro 2000 era and they don't even need any drivers installed. New drives with operating system on it is just plug n' play.

Personally i would shoot for a decently priced RX470.....Eventually thy will drop to respectable prices very close to $150 range that you requested, although i expect when when the few do go on sale they sell out relatively quick. People are already buying them under here and there under $175 so it depends on how big a rush your in.:)

If you're using Adobe Creative Cloud you can use either AMD or nVidia for GPU acceleration. If CS 6 or under, only nVidia cards are supported (looking at my 6 useless FirePro cards in an Adobe workflow because we won't approve subscription software at the corporate level :banghead:).

RX 470 is your best bet if you can get one. The other ones would be something like gtx 960 or 950.

An r9 380x is possible to find on sale, for this price. That would be my recommendation, unless you manage to find an RX 470 in your budget.

I would just pick up an Evga 750SC from craigslists for $50. It has 3 digital output for 3 monitors, since it is a work PC. I currently run one on an older 775 Q9550 system.

Brand new, this is how they shake out in performance:

1. Radeon RX 470 - out of your price range now, but the fastest near it
  2. R9 380 - Can usually be found $130-150, faster than GTX 960, this is your best bet for TODAY
  3. GTX 960 - can also be found under $150, only worth getting on a sale though, as the 380 is faster
  4. GTX 950 - Can often be found on sale near $99, making it the best value
  5. RX 460 - typically $115-$120 for barebones models, but slower than the 950

My advice? If you need the fastest card today for $150 or less, get the R9 380 2GB (shop around, I see them as low as $130). Or, look for a GTX 950 on sale for $100, a they're only 20-25% slower. Newegg has an EVGA model now for $99.99 after MIR.

EDIT: Looks like Newegg is clearing out their R9 380 stock. They only have 4 models left. This 4GB model is $149.99 after MIR. If you are OK with that, here's the link.

ASUS Radeon R9 380 STRIX-R9380-DC2OC-4GD5-GAMING 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Newegg.com

Last edited:
I want to say a used 970, as the floor is falling out on the used pricing (I see the popular MSI gaming model on amazon with a used listing for 200+shipping). But it's just out of your desired price range, and it only has 1x DP (and only 1x DL DVI I believe)...

so, a used 960 maybe? I haven't kept up with the lineups lately to compare to AMD's offering. Probably just see the post above mine ^^

Oh, and the 750Ti... got mine for $120 used a year or two ago, I can only imagine it's a pittance now.

I would say Rx470. They're going for $170 on Jet after discount code. You'll get a current gen card, Vulkan support, and easy 1080p gaming on ultra even on the most stressing titles. It performs as well as a GTX 970 and will perform as well as an RX 480 with overclock.

Back