Best video card for Battlefield 2???

aconway

Limp Gawd
Can anyone tell me which video card they may be using for playing Battlefield 2...?
Thanks!

I'm using a 7800GTX. Insert game name here -> _______ = fastest on a GTX. There are like articles on the net and stuff. Then of course you can buy two if you wanted, but not really necessary for BF2.

in case you need a 4th opinion 7800 GTX ;)

i run it on a 6800 GT @ Ultra speeds just fine at 1280 by 1024 2xAA/4xAF and mainly high and few medium settings

The 7800GT(X) is the best performer in BF2, it also provides transparency AA which makes things like grass and bushes clearer as well.

Or you can just wait and get a faster card than the 7800GTX when its available. :p I didn't think anyone would even ask a question like which is the *best* video card for this ____ game right now. :cool:

The 7800GTX BECAUSE I SAID SO. OH wait...

NOPE, that's a bad idea.. because it has SHIMMERING ISSUES, make your game un playable.

yeah I've heard the 7xxx series cards have some sort of shimmering issue. I'm planning to upgrade to 6800gt from my badass 5700le :p.

Sorta OT to the question - You might also consider picking up 2Gb of memory for the box that you are playing the game on. I have not read about putting everything on high on a GTX - but on ALL other cards, in order to set all settings to high, you had to have 2Gb of memory.

Garric said:
The 7800GTX BECAUSE I SAID SO. OH wait...

NOPE, that's a bad idea.. because it has SHIMMERING ISSUES, make your game un playable.
I'm not sure what shimmering issues you are talking about, but I'll take your word for it. However, after playing it for hours on hours at Quakecon a week ago it runs the game absolutely great. Enough with the "unplayable" nonsense from someone who obviously doesn't own one.

Nomad said:
Sorta OT to the question - You might also consider picking up 2Gb of memory for the box that you are playing the game on. I have not read about putting everything on high on a GTX - but on ALL other cards, in order to set all settings to high, you had to have 2Gb of memory.

Yes the 2Gb rule does apply I have 1Gb of DDR pc-3200 and I set my card settings to high and it loads up fine but takes a while for the chop to die down... But playing with medium settings are just as good and runs quick...

I have a X850 XT PE and I run all settings maxed out,but if I had the money I would have a 7800 GTX.

I thought Garic had a 7800GTX SLi Setup? Remember Somepeople dont see Shimmering some people do.

I have an X800XT-PE....I run the game just fine with all settings on max...Also I have 2GB of ram.........Im sure the 7800 is a bad ass card, but my card works fine so I see no need to spend any more money right now :)

Garric said:
SHIMMERING ISSUES, make your game un playable.

Do shut up.

The 7800GTX is simply awesome for BF2 - 4xAA at 1600x1200, rarely drops below 50fps :)

You'll need 2 gigs RAM though.

why do we need 2 gigs of memory for a game that looks like Delta Force blackhawk down or whatnot ... EA sucks at coding or whats the deal?

Dudeyourlame said:
why do we need 2 gigs of memory for a game that looks like Delta Force blackhawk down or whatnot ... EA sucks at coding or whats the deal?

If your gonna phrase it like that, were not gonna answer you.

Either way, my 7800GTX rocks in BF2, can't wait for my Dell 2405FPW

yes their coding isnt the greatest in bf2

i'd say the 7800gtx from what i've heard.
i run a 6800gt and it works just dandy

Garric said:
because it has SHIMMERING ISSUES, make your game un playable.

Really? Then I must have been imagining "playing" all those games on my GTX with no shimmering. Guess I've finally gone off the deep end :(

Ths issue is there but its prominence varies according to the title and the user's sensitivity to the effect. Some people never even realized there was an issue until somebody told them where to look. Hopefully Nvidia can release a fix soon but it certainly doesn't make any game "unplayable".

IceWind said:
If your gonna phrase it like that, were not gonna answer you.

Either way, my 7800GTX rocks in BF2, can't wait for my Dell 2405FPW

well didn't mean to passivly offend you ..whatever other people awnsered me

trinibwoy said:
Really? Then I must have been imagining "playing" all those games on my GTX with no shimmering. Guess I've finally gone off the deep end :(

Ths issue is there but its prominence varies according to the title and the user's sensitivity to the effect. Some people never even realized there was an issue until somebody told them where to look. Hopefully Nvidia can release a fix soon but it certainly doesn't make any game "unplayable".

Shimmering? I have no idea what you speak of grasshopper...

Obviously the 7800 GTX is going to be the best, however not everyone has that kind of money to burn, if you're looking for a budget card go with the 6600GT from XFX or the 6800GT....(same card just with 128mb memory or 256mb memory)

I upgraded to 7800GTX's in SLI and let me tell you... staring at the inside of a chopper the wrench had NEVER looked better!!

Blackhawk FTW!

I concur with the 2GB of ram (haven't even tried with less)... but I did that for EQ2.. talk about bad coding...

Edit: And I have no idea what this shimmering stuff is.. I'll also refrain from looking it up. Ignorance is bliss after all.

It's not bad coding, it's more to do with the fact that the maps are frickin huge! This is the way games are going, get used to it... imagine being able to play through a whole map the size of, say, an average level in half life 2 with no pausing to load...

You could play BF2 smoothly with 1GB, but you'd need to reduce some settings to medium. Disk access has to be kept to a minimum for any multiplayer game to run as it should.

Rob978 said:
Obviously the 7800 GTX is going to be the best, however not everyone has that kind of money to burn, if you're looking for a budget card go with the 6600GT from XFX or the 6800GT....(same card just with 128mb memory or 256mb memory)

for BF2 the ATI equivelents are faster in that series

if money is a problem i'd try and find the cheapest 7800 GT, much better in BF2

Back