Best video card for around $100 bucks.

ZenDragon

[H]ard|Gawd
I know, Im really cutting it short on the VC at the moment, but I blew my cash on the a new motherboard, processor, and hard drive, now I just need a cheap VC to tide me over until I can recharge and get a nice one. I only have 100 bucks left give or take, Im sure I dont have a whole lot of choices in the PCI Express arena, but is there anything decent for that price that will still run World of Warcraft decently?

CokeFiend said:
I know, Im really cutting it short on the VC at the moment, but I blew my cash on the a new motherboard, processor, and hard drive, now I just need a cheap VC to tide me over until I can recharge and get a nice one. I only have 100 bucks left give or take, Im sure I dont have a whole lot of choices in the PCI Express arena, but is there anything decent for that price that will still run World of Warcraft decently?
If ya don't mind used, you could probably find a 6600GT for $100 ish.

Dono abotu anything ATi though :/

I dont mind used at all... but I went though the for sale/trade forums and nobody is selling any of those.

The 6600GT is a great card, but if you want a little more power for the money and don't mind getting an ATI card, the x800GTO's are becoming so cheap they're nearly steals. They sport 12 pixel pipelines as opposed to the 6600GT's 8. Below are a link to just a few, but there's a multitude of brands and deals on them (both new and refurbished).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102644
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131424R

The second one would most likely perform and overclock far better. It has DDR3 memory as opposed to the first cards DDR2, and slightly higher stock clocks. The first card may be really cheap, but I have never owned one or had any experience with them and the reviews tend to lean toward "crappy stock cooling".

Don't be worried -- your options with $100 in the PCIe market are much more open and broad than in the AGP market, and you can get some very nice cards for near the much money (mainly the 6600GT AGP and the x800gto). Good luck!

I dont mind using ATI, Ive used ATI card in some older machines. Though I heard that there is some performace benefits to using NVidia card with nvidia motherboards. That almost seems like it would be unethical to me, but is there any truth to that?

I bought a ECS SLI Extreme and A64 3800 X2 by the way.

Newegg has refurb X800GTS/Pro type cards. 12 pipes PCI-E and 256GDDR3, 256bit bus. Look around.

kumquat said:
youre not entirely right.

back in the NF3/6 series days, NV did put logic in their chipsets to make their cards run faster on their boards. the consequence? the infamous hitching issue with 6 series cards on NF3 boards.

these days, no, it does not matter. however, that is where that came from.

Back