best video card for a 450Watt PSU?

Sagan

Gawd
I need some help finding a graphics card. I have a dual core computer with no graphics card but with a decent 450watt psu and one 6-pin pcie plug.
What do you guys think is the fastest graphics card that this psu can run? All the new ones require 2 6-pins or a 500 watt psu and its troubling me.

If its a good 450W PSU you can power GTX460 with it. Just use a molex to 6 pin PCI adapter, my past few cards have come with such adapters so now I have 4 or 5 kicking around.

My 400w ocz psu powers my 5850 with no problems.

That's cutting it a bit closer than most would recommend. In the [H] review of the 5850 system power usage at load was 357W, which is almost 90% of 400W, I dont think anyone would recommend using a PSU at 90% of its maximum, though the review system was an overclocked i7 so if your running a "slimmer" PC you could get away with it.

That's cutting it a bit closer than most would recommend. In the [H] review of the 5850 system power usage at load was 357W, which is almost 90% of 400W, I dont think anyone would recommend using a PSU at 90% of its maximum, though the review system was an overclocked i7 so if your running a "slimmer" PC you could get away with it.

My x4 cpu is running at stock and kill-a-watt doesn't hit 300w even running Crysis.

My x4 cpu is running at stock and kill-a-watt doesn't hit 300w even running Crysis.

Yeah looking at some reviews of the 5850 it seems [H] had a pretty high power usage. But still most reviews are peak power of 300-350W.

I think you need to give better specs of your computer OP. What dual core cpu do you have, which 450 watt PSU and what resolution does your monitor support for a start. Oh ya, how old is the PSU? Giving advice otherwise is just shooting in the dark.....

Better specs would help, but for 450w, I would probably say HD 5770 or GTX 460. Maybe an HD 5830, depending on the other draw in your system.

I think a 5850 would be ok. Dual core procs won't use nearly as much juice as their big brothers and if you're running everything at stock clocks, it should be ok. All this goes out the window if this is some Diablo piece of crap.

A quality 450w PSU could handle up for a GTX 460 / 5830 / 5850 plus a quad-core, so long as it's stock. These cards all have similar full-load power draw.

Sagan, can you give us the full specs of your system, and the brand and model of the powersupply?

A quality 450w PSU could handle up for a GTX 460 / 5830 / 5850 plus a quad-core, so long as it's stock. These cards all have similar full-load power draw.

Sagan, can you give us the full specs of your system, and the brand and model of the powersupply?

this, a quality 450 will allow for a nice card.

The system in my sig pulls 250-270W from the wall with a gaming load (so figure the PSU is only putting out probably 210-225W), and that's with a decently overclocked i5 750 and 5850. A quality 450W can easily power a 5870 and you'll probably be fine with a 5970, although I would recommend a little more breathing room at that point.

The system in my sig pulls 250-270W from the wall with a gaming load (so figure the PSU is only putting out probably 210-225W), and that's with a decently overclocked i5 750 and 5850. A quality 450W can easily power a 5870 and you'll probably be fine with a 5970, although I would recommend a little more breathing room at that point.

What he said!

I think you need to give better specs of your computer OP. What dual core cpu do you have, which 450 watt PSU and what resolution does your monitor support for a start. Oh ya, how old is the PSU? Giving advice otherwise is just shooting in the dark.....

Its a Pentium D probably the first dual core ever.

do you know how many maximum amps your PSU is capable of on the 12V line? Should be on a sticker on the side of the power supply

Its a Pentium D probably the first dual core ever.
you still didn't say what power supply, what res you play at and also what speed is that cpu? please give EXACT details of your entire system instead of being so vague as you are just dragging this out for everyone. really with any Pentium D you are wasting your money with anything better than a 5750 or 5770 as even those cards will be held back quite a bit.

you still didn't say what power supply, what res you play at and also what speed is that cpu? please give EXACT details of your entire system instead of being so vague as you are just dragging this out for everyone. really with any Pentium D you are wasting your money with anything better than a 5750 or 5770 as even those cards will be held back quite a bit.
I'd go further and say build a new machine. A Pentium D won't cut it in most newer games.

I'd say you're better off getting a 9500 gt and upgrading your cpu to a 2.4ghz wolfdale. It'll only cost about $100. There's really no point in buying an expensive VC and holding it back with a Pentium D.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102901&cm_re=4850-_-14-102-901-_-Product
Sapphire 4850 512MB for $90 ($80 after MIR)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116076
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5400 Wolfdale 2.7GHz LGA 775 $70

So, for around a $140 you would get a SIGNIFICANT upgrade all around.

(Just be sure you have at least 2GB of RAM etc)

This is where its at, as long as your board is compatible. That Pentium D is gonna hold you back.

sorry about that,

PSU is a Thermaltake 430W
the amps it can pull are 28-30A (on the sticker)

Pentium D 2.8Ghz
2Gb of ram 533Mhz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102901&cm_re=4850-_-14-102-901-_-Product
Sapphire 4850 512MB for $90 ($80 after MIR)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116076
Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5400 Wolfdale 2.7GHz LGA 775 $70

So, for around a $140 you would get a SIGNIFICANT upgrade all around.

(Just be sure you have at least 2GB of RAM etc)

I like that ATI a lot, nice price too. But I wonder if my 430W can run it, any ideas?

You're gonna have to upgrade your PSU if you're planning on totally new system or even just a CPU and GPU upgrade. You more than likely have the Thermaltake TR2 430W PSU. The TR2 line is pretty much Thermaltake's shit quality line. That TR2 is definitely not capable of 300W let alone 430W of power.

A Pentium D is gonna hold back just about most good gaming cards these days. Your best bet would be to save your money and build a new system. However, you didn't list what motherboard you have so the upgrades that horrorshow recommended may not work. In addition, the Sapphire card is now OOS. More than likely it won't be back in stock considering that it's an old card.

If you're just running 1-2 hard drives + DVD, it's all good.

Thanks for the lightning fast reply, yes I'm just running one of each no more. I might also update the processor f I find a really cheap dual core

I ran approximately the same thing with a 400W Thermaltake from '06.

I think he'll be fine for a GPU and/or CPU upgrade if he so chooses.

Remember, we can't all afford to drop $400+ on a hobby.

(I can, but... ya know heh ;) )

Thanks for the lightning fast reply, yes I'm just running one of each no more. I might also update the processor f I find a really cheap dual core

I linked you the most reasonable CPU upgrade.

Anything less isn't worth the money.

You're gonna have to upgrade your PSU if you're planning on totally new system or even just a CPU and GPU upgrade. You more than likely have the Thermaltake TR2 430W PSU. The TR2 line is pretty much Thermaltake's shit quality line. That TR2 is definitely not capable of 300W let alone 430W of power.

A Pentium D is gonna hold back just about most good gaming cards these days. Your best bet would be to save your money and build a new system. However, you didn't list what motherboard you have so the upgrades that horrorshow recommended may not work. In addition, the Sapphire card is now OOS. More than likely it won't be back in stock considering that it's an old card.

The computer was a gift I'm not trying to build a new system but rather doing a couple of upgrades to give it a new life.

The computer is actually a Dell Dimension 5150

I ran approximately the same thing with a 400W Thermaltake from '06.

I think he'll be fine for a GPU and/or CPU upgrade if he so chooses.
Yeah that was four years ago. If the OP has had that PSU for that long, that's an higher incentive to upgrade the PSU since PSUs degrade in quality over time. Considering that it was crap quality 4 years ago, it's definitely shit quality right now.
Remember, we can't all afford to drop $400+ on a hobby.

I understand that. But there are some situations where you're better off saving up money rather than spend some of it on an upgrade that may involve the death of a PC.
The computer was a gift I'm not trying to build a new system but rather doing a couple of upgrades to give it a new life.
Ok but it's still not a good idea to strap a good video card to a system with a crap PSU. Maybe, a HD 5570 at best.

The computer is actually a Dell Dimension 5150

Yeah you're not gonna be able to do a CPU upgrade at all. You either have the Pentium D 820 or the Pentium D 920. Either way, the Pentium D CPUs above the 2.8Ghz aren't really worth buying at all unless you got them for $5.

I just want to know what's the best card that can be run on my system, I don't need a cpu upgrade but a gpu.

I just want to know what's the best card that can be run on my system, I don't need a cpu upgrade but a gpu.

a 5770. but like said above you would be better served to upgrade the other components as well. I would not put anything heavier in myself. in fact I would be looking at a 5670.

a 5770. but like said above you would be better served to upgrade the other components as well. I would not put anything heavier in myself. in fact I would be looking at a 5670.

Danny said 5570 not 5770. ;)

well for some perspective your 2.8 GHz Pentium D is still slower than my cpu if I lowered it to 1.4 GHz :eek:. in other words pretty much any modern mid range card would be a horrible waste with that cpu. really your cpu doesn't even meet the minimum requirements to play some newer games. I personally would not waste any money upgrading the gpu in that machine but if you must then a 5670 would be the absolute limit.

Yeah you're not gonna be able to do a CPU upgrade at all. You either have the Pentium D 820 or the Pentium D 920. Either way, the Pentium D CPUs above the 2.8Ghz aren't really worth buying at all unless you got them for $5.
Most 775 boards that can take a D, can take a Core 2 Duo. Whether his cpu is 533 or 800 doesn't matter, really. Nearly all 533 boards are also 800 compatible. Of course an 800fsb would limit him to about 2.6 ghz, but that's a huge upgrade from a D.

Better specs would help, but for 450w, I would probably say HD 5770 or GTX 460. Maybe an HD 5830, depending on the other draw in your system.

Remember that most 5830s use more power, not less, than 5850s.

The thermaltake is fine for a 5770. I've used dozens of that PSU in builds, and while not top of the line, much better than many offerings in its price range. I have one powering an 8800GT for a while now, no issues.

I think the bigger problem is the rest of your PC rather than the PSU, though the PSU may be a problem if its very old too. I'll go with the above suggestions of getting a 5770 or lower. In BFBC2 a 5770 is bottlenecked by an E6XXX, I can't imagine how much a Pentium D would slow things down. It'd be worth figuring out what mobo it is as well and maybe spending half the upgrade money on an E6XXX and half on a 4850/4870/5750/5770. Just depends on your current components and your budget.

Back