best video camera to shoot a small movie with for under a $1,000??

overstand

Weaksauce
What would be the best video camera to get for under a $1,000 to film a movie.

i have seen the canon gl-1 going for $888 at various stores. dont know if you can still find one, but the gl-1 is a pretty pimp little camera. i saw them in stock at ultimate, but its been a while.

$888 for a GL-1??? insane. those were going for like $2K+ when i bought my cam like 4 years ago. i thought they were still in that same ballpark.

$888 for a GL-1??? insane. those were going for like $2K+ when i bought my cam like 4 years ago. i thought they were still in that same ballpark.

That was before the GL-2 came out, lowering the price.

wankrtron said:
i have seen the canon gl-1 going for $888 at various stores. dont know if you can still find one, but the gl-1 is a pretty pimp little camera. i saw them in stock at ultimate, but its been a while.

For the money you would be hard pressed to beat the GL-1 in terms of quality versus cost.

After that you get up into a much more expensive price range with the Panasonic DVX-100A or Canon XL1/XL2.

If you dont need to use the camera again you would be better off renting one of the ones I just mentioned. You would be very surprised how cheap you can get some equipment for if you make your case well and throw in a pack of beer - check your area for rental houses.

For instance we just got access to a $1200 filter from Panavision and access to a 15' jib arm for free just for asking and offering a "thank you" brew once we finished ;)

Mcseiam said:
After that you get up into a much more expensive price range with the Panasonic DVX-100A or Canon XL1/XL2.
if you wanted to make that jump, you should strongly consider the sony pd170, or even the pd150 if you can still find it. the 170 is a real nice camera that has a couple features the cannon xl 1 comes up short on. it has a longer built in zoom, a small flip out lcd display, for starters. you can mount lenses by bayonette mount on it, but the actual lens doesnt come off. the cannon is better at handeling colors though, the sonys are notorious for making reds extra bright, but you can control that. i do love the xl1, but that lcd screen is UNDENIABLY a good thing to have.

Back