Best vid card for < $150?

groggory

Bad Trader
I'm looking at an EVGA GeForce FX 5600XT Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "256-A8-N317-TX" -RETAIL from newegg for $116. Seems to be a very good bang for your buck.

Any other suggestions?

No. XT == slower for Nvidia, the opposite of ATi. AND, it's the 256 model, so it's even slower still. Junk card == that.

A 9600 Pro would be better...

i agree a 9600pro or maybe even a 9600XT would be the best bang for the buck but that card you were looking at is a total POS.

If you want to stay on nvidia the best card for $150 is the GeForce FX5700nu 128mb = $147
or
GeForce4 Ti4800 128mb = $129

but the card i recommend for $150 price range is definatly Ati Radeon 9600xt 128mb = $154

www.pricewatch.com

I did forget the 5700U, which is a fine card, if not that future proof.

Originally posted by Badger_sly
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?sid=4001E3804A76617F&product_code=307298&pfp=BROWSE

Definitely the BFG Asylum 5700ultra, $149.99 at CompUSA instore and online this week.

And it's just as futureproof as any ATI 9600/9700/9800 card.

The 5700 does restore NVIDIA's credibility, but if you can spend a little more try to get a 5900/9700. They were both the highest end cards around within the last 8 months and are now down to near mid-range prices for high end boards.

Just get the 9600XT, you'll also get a free copy of HL2 when it comes out which everyone will eventually be purchasing anyways. So the card itself will be a bit over a hundred. Not bad.

Forget the 5600XT its not the same as ULTRA, its the 5600 ULTRA and up you should consider. Forget the 9600pro and 9600XT. Fine cards and both are blistering fast (on a mid-range system) ...but they are still 4 pipeline cards. You want an 8 pipeline card if possible (9700, 9800) to avoid bottlenecking anything if you have a fast CPU, mobo, and ram. I would just suggest saving up 30 more bucks and grab a nvidia 5900. Nice overclocker. If you're stuck on the $150 price range....grab a real 5600 ultra or the 9600s. The 5600 ultra is a decent card and its $100 over at http://www.pricewatch.com. Other than that I can recommend the 5700 BFG for about $149.99 online and in compusa stores.

Originally posted by lopoetve
It's not as future proof as the 9700Pro or 9800 Pro or XT, so your statement is wrong. It can't compete with a 9800XT even now, let alone in the future.

Hopefully he meant MID-RANGE cards :rolleyes:

good you will be much happier with that card than with that FX card you were looking at earlier

Speaking of mid-range video cards...

None of them will be a significant improvement over my current AGP4X GeForce4 Ti4400, even for the price that I would be paying for any of them. Thus, if I were to be upgrading my video card (I have just purchased a new Abit NF7-S motherboard, new Barton 2600+ CPU and new 1GB PC3200 DDR RAM), I would have to buy a Radeon 9700 Pro, 9800 Pro or 9800XT in order for me to notice any meaningful performance increase (with current games). And all of those video cards that significantly outperform my current Ti4400 will cost at least as much $$$ as the amount that I had paid for my current Ti4400 (about $200).

Originally posted by E4g1e
Speaking of mid-range video cards...

None of them will be a significant improvement over my current AGP4X GeForce4 Ti4400, even for the price that I would be paying for any of them. Thus, if I were to be upgrading my video card (I have just purchased a new Abit NF7-S motherboard, new Barton 2600+ CPU and new 1GB PC3200 DDR RAM), I would have to buy a Radeon 9700 Pro, 9800 Pro or 9800XT in order for me to notice any meaningful performance increase (with current games). And all of those video cards that significantly outperform my current Ti4400 will cost at least as much $$$ as the amount that I had paid for my current Ti4400 (about $200).

Um... what?

Have you read any of the benchmarks? Overclock a 5700U or a 9600XT or a 5900XT, and you'll be faster than that 4400, especially at anything new.

Originally posted by lopoetve
Um... what?

Have you read any of the benchmarks? Overclock a 5700U or a 9600XT or a 5900XT, and you'll be faster than that 4400, especially at anything new.

I haven't kept up with video card reviews lately.:confused: :eek:

http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...&pfp=BROWSE

Definitely the BFG Asylum 5700ultra, $149.99 at CompUSA instore and online this week.

And it's just as futureproof as any ATI 9600/9700/9800 card.

That is a straight out lie they are not future proof at all Do me a favor get one of these socalled futureproof FX cards and run it in max payne2 At Max AA and AF @ 1024/768 Then talk to me about future proof :rolleyes: AND yes MAXPAYNE 2 does use some dx9 capabilitys;) Then come back to me and talk about futureproof?

Originally posted by E4g1e
I haven't kept up with video card reviews lately.:confused: :eek:

Well, the 9600+ and 5700+ are all faster than the 4400 at anything new, using the DX9 shaders, and a bit faster than it at the older DX8 shaders. The gap has appeared, and is starting to widen.

Originally posted by @trapine
That is a straight out lie they are not future proof at all ...................................

LOL, do me a favor. Gaze into your murky crystal ball, and present to us the affects of ATI and nVidia's future drivers.

What's that....... your crystal ball is down for maintenance right now? How convenient for you, LOL.

Enough said.

Originally posted by Badger_sly
LOL, do me a favor. Gaze into your murky crystal ball, and present to us the affects of ATI and nVidia's future drivers. What's that....... your crystal ball is down for maintenance right now? How convenient for you, LOL. Enough said.
LOL, but there are problems with the way nvidia has gone about the DX9 route and driver updates will never be able to fix those since the problem lies in the hardware. Yes ATI cards are more "future proof" but we'll see how future proof they are once DX9.1 comes out, right now though the 5700/ 5900 series looks to be very competive with ATI cards and I would hope that the 5700Ultra is an indicator of future nvidia cards.
I've noticed that @Trapine turns into a raving fanboy in these threads, I try to ignore his fanboy tendanices.

I got a 9600XT for $153, from newegg for my brother. Its very fast, and overclocks very well also. Going up to 580'ish core and 380'ish meory before artifacting.

IF the 5700U was just $150, it would be a great deal. But for someone who only "has" $150 to spend, its out of reach. Tack on 9.5% of my states sales tax.. and you're well over $200 out of pocket...

I never did get my two $50 rebates from 3DFX :(

I've noticed that @Trapine turns into a raving fanboy in these threads, I try to ignore his fanboy tendanices.

Whats fanboy about the truth the current DX9 not 9.1= dx9 cards of nvidia arent futureproof as was stated earler its a hardware issue not a software one=not future proof plain and simple:rolleyes:

I just picked up the Gigabyte Radeon 9600XT from newegg. Thanks guys

Threads done anyways and another wize choice lol:p

Back