Best USB 3.0 Add-in Card

CruisD64

2[H]4U
Hey all. I currently have a USB 3.0 add-in card but it is hit or miss as far as what devices are actually detected. Also, it performs very slowly. Ideally, I would like for it to work on boot as well so that I can plug my keyboard into it and utilize the USB 3.0 ports on it. Does such a thing exist? I have a Corsair 700D which uses the 20 pin connection so I would like the front USB to work as well.

The reason I would want to boot from it is because my keyboard (Das 4 Ultimate) has a usb 3 hub built into it. I would prefer to utilize the speed if I can for flash drives etc, though it's not the end of the world if it doesn't. If my front usb ports work at usb 3 speeds that would be just fine.

You probably want to avoid NEC/Renesas controllers as they are very old, doesn't keep their drivers up to date and in the past they had known compatibility issues.
//Danne

You probably want to avoid NEC/Renesas controllers as they are very old, doesn't keep their drivers up to date and in the past they had known compatibility issues.
//Danne

Exactly! Renasas is the one giving me problems!

//Danne

I use the Silverstone card, gives you two rear ports and then allows you to use your front ports. They have two variants, one with a molex for power and one with a sata power connector.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=364&area=en
http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=439&area=en

It appears that the Silverstone uses the NEC controller which I'm trying to avoid...

It appears that the Silverstone uses the NEC controller which I'm trying to avoid...

No issues running it in an X79 board with both Server 2012 and Server 2012 R2. Can't say the same for both the Fresco FL1009 and Via VL800 that came onboard, that's why I gave up and bought the Silverstone card.

NEC and Texas Instruments Chipsets are usually safe choices for USB. Via usb controller chips are hit or miss.

NEC/Renesas are the same controllers, good look finding TI even though they usually make solid stuff. ASMedia is probably your best bet and easiest to find.
//Danne

posting here so I can find it again

I'm stuck on X58...my only two 3.0 ports are on the rear panel...no mobo header...so I have blue wires plugged in the back and routed in through a card slot opening and across the case to have front panel USB 3.0

: /

@ billabong132
Like I said, never controllers does work decently but I'd still recommend ASMedia ;-)
//Danne

Back