Best upgrade from HD 4870??

TheCyclist

Weaksauce
I am finally looking to upgrade my video card after having my 4870 for two years+ (Since release) and trying to see what would be the biggest jump in performance while going best bang for the buck. Biggest reason for upgrade is getting DX11 support and just two years is too long for me.

Any suggestions? I mostly play MMOs and Modern Warfare while running two 30" monitors.

What should I really be looking for?

Thanks

In the same boat I'm thinking the new 6770 series coming in a few weeks may be the answer I would wait for that and see.

Same here too, my 4870 is starting to show its age. i'm curious on what the 6000 series will bring.

prolly going to use the hd 4870 a little longer (as long as Duke Nukem Forever play well on it)

DNF is on such a old engine it will run on about anything modern max settings I bet

I am finally looking to upgrade my video card after having my 4870 for two years+ (Since release) and trying to see what would be the biggest jump in performance while going best bang for the buck. Biggest reason for upgrade is getting DX11 support and just two years is too long for me.

Any suggestions? I mostly play MMOs and Modern Warfare while running two 30" monitors.

What should I really be looking for?

Thanks

You didn't tell us the rest of your system. Seems a bit odd to focus on DirectX11 if you mainly play Modern Warfare (DX9) and MMO's (mostly DX9 also).

Unlike the transition from DX9 to DX10, DX11 is an evolutionary rather than revolutionary change from DirectX10. For the most part, it merely builds upon the framework that was created with DirectX10. It is largely for this reason that making DirectX11 games compatible with DirectX10 and 10.1 hardware is mostly trivial. Compatibility paths for older hardware are built right in to DirectX11:

featurelevels.png

Having a 4870, which is actually a DirectX 10.1 part, puts you in an even better position for playing DirectX11 games compared to users with DX10.0 hardware. Many of the advancements that were included in 10.1 were not widely supported in many games, but the same advancements that were included in 10.1 were rolled into 11 and as odd as it might seem, it is via DirectX11 that most users with 10.1 hardware will finally be taking advantage of the full feature-set on their cards. It is also for this reason that you will NEVER run into a situation where you can't play a DirectX11 game because you "only" have DX10 or DX10.1 hardware. Again, this is nothing like the transition from DX9 to DX10 was, where you either had DX10 hardware or were SOL.

Best bang for the buck, by a long shot, would be to get a 2nd 4870 and crossfire them. But you never told us if you have a crossfire compatible board or not. You could even pick up a used 4870x2 and go tri-fire resulting in performance that would easily surpass a GTX480 while still being half the price or less.

Im waiting on the 6 series.. and maybe even the next generation of nvidia cards.

ya If i had a crossfire board i would def grab a 2nd 4870 on the cheap if thats a option do it

I just went from a 4870 to a GTX470 and i'm very happy with my choice!

Wait 11 more days for the 6000 series and then see what they have to offer, if nothing seems worthwhile GREAT buy what your planning on getting currently, only cheaper than now. :D

These threads just days before a new card launch are always fun. I'm gonna get carpel tunnel from typing the same thing over and over. It's that way just before every launch.

Back