Best upgrade from an S5?

ledcriss

Limp Gawd
I'm currently in the market for a new phone, I only do the casual stuff on my smartphones so I was going to get the 6P from google.... Unfortunately I've been seeing some issues recently. What do you guys recommend?

I usually ask people these questions when asking about phones:

iOS or Android?

>5" or <5" screen?

Answer these and we can start talking.

I like IOS only because of how smooth it runs, if there is another option on the android side then I would be just as happy. I want larger than a 5" screen

Forget Apple, Get an S7, its only 3 days away from being announced, and rumors it will ship March 11. Waterproofing and battery highlights here, plus more.

Last edited:
We got my wife a Blu Pure XL and I've been pretty impressed with it so far. Unlocked, big beautiful screen, lots of RAM and storage, all for ~$350. Hoping it has good enough build quality to last...

Forget Apple, Get an S7, its only 3 days away from being announced, and rumors it will ship March 11. Waterproofing and battery highlights here, plus more.
Really?!?!? That's awesome, I'll check into it.

If you wait a bit HTC and LG are also going to be releasing their new Flagship phones...

I'm currently in the market for a new phone, I only do the casual stuff on my smartphones so I was going to get the 6P from google.... Unfortunately I've been seeing some issues recently. What do you guys recommend?

If you have the S5 and are comfortable with it, then I'd get the brand new S7 being released early next month. Will be waterproof like your S5, but with a much nicer display, bigger battery, faster hardware, and smoother feeling OS. And probably the best smartphone camera.

They have the S7 Edge coming the same time, with a 5.5" screen size.

If you have the S5 and are comfortable with it, then I'd get the brand new S7 being released early next month. Will be waterproof like your S5, but with a much nicer display, bigger battery, faster hardware, and smoother feeling OS. And probably the best smartphone camera.

They have the S7 Edge coming the same time, with a 5.5" screen size.
Honestly I hate how slow my S5 is so hopefully with the S7 they will make it much more optimizable.

Does anyone feel the note would be a nice upgrade?

I'm currently rocking the Note 5 on T-Mobile, it's Rooted and ROM'd. I typically hate Touchwiz, but this phone is a beast. Super fast, great battery life, beautiful screen, and amazing camera.

But you do need to debloat the shit out of this phone, Samsung includes way too many BS apps, and system stuff running in the background is a joke. But once you uninstall and freeze all this crap, the phone becomes night and day better

I'm currently rocking the Note 5 on T-Mobile, it's Rooted and ROM'd. I typically hate Touchwiz, but this phone is a beast. Super fast, great battery life, beautiful screen, and amazing camera.

But you do need to debloat the shit out of this phone, Samsung includes way too many BS apps, and system stuff running in the background is a joke. But once you uninstall and freeze all this crap, the phone becomes night and day better
hmmm, I do really like the note 5 appearance but I believe I should at least wait until the S7 comes out just to be sure. I just know for a fact I wont be going IOS

As with every Samsung phone, it will feel fast and awesome at first then gradually degrade with every OS update or bloatware update. If you want a good experience with them you have to root and find a decent ROM.

My S5 is still going strong 14 months on, it gets slow if you dont close apps due to only 2gb RAM, and also every phone gets slow if you fill its internal storage rather than a fast SD or something. This is another major discredit to the S6, No SD slot but the 7 is said to return.

The LG G5 is getting announced the same day as the S7, LG is trying to sniper Sammy and they might just pull it off if the rumors turn out to be true - itll be a 6P killer.

I have a Note 5 and its fantastic. It is such a professional feeling phone. But in reality its not quite 4gb RAM, but rather 3.6 usable.

Edit - just to clarify, the announcements are on Sunday Feb 21, a day before MWC. I believe you can reserve a link to the live stream via their respective sites. Sammys is called the Next Galaxy, and LGs "Play" or something.

I would try a custom ROM for you gs5. Hardware wise its fine its just tw and updates that have killed your phone. I am still rocking an lg g3 which works like a champ with a cm 12.1 ROM and custom kernal. Nexus smooth

Interesting you mention the G3, thats the one I had before the GS5, got the shits with it freezing all the time and got this. I have it to the mrs and since then Ive replaced the screen 3 times and its got some power issue where it will turn off with a slight bump, which I havent figured out yet. Cant speak for a custom ROM on it though, I didnt mind it to begin with but it went pear shaped after a while for me.

Speaking of custom ROMs, most of those Ive looked at for the G900I (mine) seem to have some problem or another reported by users so Ive given it a miss for now.

The wife went from a S5 to a moto x pure edition 2015. I went from the S5 to Nexus 6, to moto x pure edition.

It's such a improvement in camera quality over the nexus 6, not to mention it's way easier to handle.

I got my moto x for $284 on Amazon from the warehouse deals. No damage at all, phone looked brand new. The description said very good and the box was damaged. Everything looked new when I got it today.

For $300 I don't think you can do better

The wife went from a S5 to a moto x pure edition 2015. I went from the S5 to Nexus 6, to moto x pure edition.

It's such a improvement in camera quality over the nexus 6, not to mention it's way easier to handle.

I got my moto x for $284 on Amazon from the warehouse deals. No damage at all, phone looked brand new. The description said very good and the box was damaged. Everything looked new when I got it today.

For $300 I don't think you can do better

O had a Moto X in the store for repair not too long ago, as I recall it was quite a nice phone. Should have had a better play with it. The owner was raving about the value.

One of the only dramas i have with my S5, is the camera not focusing properly close up. It focuses then loses it, and most of the time if you take a shot without the flash it wont focus again unless you move it around. Furthermore, i have replaced the lens on 2 S5s, and on both the camera went blurry with a yellow tinge and couldn't be fixed. Strange to say the least.

O had a Moto X in the store for repair not too long ago, as I recall it was quite a nice phone. Should have had a better play with it. The owner was raving about the value.

One of the only dramas i have with my S5, is the camera not focusing properly close up. It focuses then loses it, and most of the time if you take a shot without the flash it wont focus again unless you move it around. Furthermore, i have replaced the lens on 2 S5s, and on both the camera went blurry with a yellow tinge and couldn't be fixed. Strange to say the least.

The S5 camera is absolute trash, I hated that phone because of the camera. The moto x camera is wayyyyy better then the S5, I was just taking a picture with mine and it's better then the Nexus 6 camera too

Moto X Pure 32 or 64G. Lot of phone for the money.

I'm another happy Moto X Pure user that came from an S5. Once you go vanilla Android (more or less), there is no going back.
Even if it doesn't have the Samsung specs, the lack of TouchWiz more than makes up for any of that.
If you go with a Sammy, rooting can alleviate much of that nonsense.
When I had mine, it felt like Samsung and Google were always fighting one another to get anything done.

I currently own an s5 with Verizon and it lags often..is there an easy way to root to fix the lag and bloat on the phone? I just want to put the fastest and best Rom on it of possible

Back