Best upgrade from a gtx 760 in the $250-$285 range?

JHefile

Necrophilia Makes Me [H]ard
hi

I need nvidia do to g-sync.

Suggestions? I'd rather be under $250 if it was a decent upgrade.

Then we have my aging cpu 1090t amd. I'm not sure its too long in the tooth yet but I'm sure some may argue I do a upgrade to Intel CPU and keep the 760 for a bit since i game at 1080p.

I play the Black Ops series and while I get above 140 FPS it will drop into the 50's with some stuttering at times which makes me mad since I have g-sync.

About the best you can do in that price range is to watch EVGA b-stock for used 970's. Sometimes the blower-style 970's show up there for $249.

You might be able to squeeze one more generation out of that CPU, and buying a used 970 would set you up for great performance now, and a super great upgrade with a rebuild a year and some from now.

There is nothing new from nv in the $250 range that is a step up from the 760. The $200 960 only trades blows depending on title. What waderunner said, as a new 970 is $300 and up. You could ease up on the gfx settings for the 760? Are you srue the 760 is the bottleneck? Might try low-res low-gfx to confirm.

Last edited:
Yeah, until the die shrink next year, you're stuck with the current prices. You'd need to spend a little over $300 to get better performance plus a warranty.

I would do as xorbe suggests: turn down the resolution, and see if your framerate stays the same. If it does, you are CPU-limited.

IF YOU ARE CPU-LIMITED:

To get an idea of just HOW MUCH CPU-limited you are, you can increase your resoluton beyond 1080p using DSR. Do this until your framerate comes down. If there's a siggnificant increase in resolution, then you have a pretty good reason to upgrade your CPU.

Also, bit confused about this comment:

it will drop into the 50's with some stuttering at times which makes me mad since I have g-sync.

Wasn't G-SYNC supposed to FIX situations like that? I mean we were promised buttery-smooth sub-60fps gaming!! Can you clarify what's going on there?

Last edited:
Wasn't G-SYNC supposed to FIX situations like that? I mean we were promised buttery-smooth sub-60fps gaming!! Can you clarify what's going on there?

Yeah the stuttering part is what made me think cpu-ram bottleneck. 50Hz + gsync should be alright! Unless it's some really uneven frame pacing.

I would upgrade the platform.

VRR isn't a cure-all for the 40-50+ms hitches. A framerate limiter could help.

A brand spanking new tri blower 290X which has full 4GB or VRAM?

I am satisfied with my 970's performance but felt cheated with that 3.5GB VRAM fiasco

I would pick up and i5 and stick with the 760 for now. You might have to turn some settings down but it will good enough for 1080p and a new CPU will give you a massive performance boost in a lot of games.

I'm good Patrick but thanks.

I tend to agree before the VC upgrade I might as well move platform sooner rather than later. I just keep putting it off.

Intel has a really cool purchase program for retail folks that allows for heavily discounted processors/ intel storage 2 times a year during summer and holiday. If you yourself works in retail or knows someone who wouldn't mind taking the few "learning" modules a month to keep an account active you can save serious money on top tier processors.

I'm pretty sure their going to be doing Skylake processors this Winter for their holiday bundle. Might be worth checking out. I always see people post around May and December in the Hot Deals forum but IIRC you'd need to have your account with them one tier higher through completing their e-learns to get the discounted prices.

That definitely would help with your platform move! :)

The 970 or higher would be the only sure-fire upgrade, but would require you to increase your GPU budget.

Then, yes, there's that 1090T...wowzers. Compared to a 4690K or 6600K (hell, even a dual core G3258 is 55% faster at single threaded perf), it's going to be a bit of a GPU bottleneck. If it were me in this situation, I'd be looking to do a full overhaul of my platform...target and save up X amount for the minimum spec'd hardware I wanted, then sell off everything to supplement that further to maximize things like a better GPU, or larger SSD, or whatever. Looking at US-based sold listings for the 1080T on eBay, alone they are still going for $80-125. That'll get you about 1/3 to 1/2 way to a brand new i5-K.

Maybe it's time?

:)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back