Best turn based strategy game...

brasscorpion

Weaksauce
on the market right now.

Hey guys. Could you all help me find a great turn based strategy game???

I remember the old SSI days with Panzer General, Peoples General, and their first 2...actually forgot the names but I own both 1 and 2 versions. I am looking for a good Hex based game or even a free flowing game. I play Miniature Table top games like Warhammer 40K and WARMACHINE.

I am looking for a game that emulates one of these. Somthing where you build your army, customize it by adding wargear...then roll it out onto the battlefield to defeat an opponent online or just the computer???

Please suggest current games or possibly future games yet to be released. If it has a roll playing feel that would be great also...like Disciples, or age of wonder. I own Galactic Civ...but I would like something different than a 4X type game. Anyway thanks in advance.

Brass

Command & Conquer 3 is out and is pretty good. I just learned about a new one called Supreme Commander yesterday, and plan to snag myself a copy tomorrow :)

Heroes of Might and Magic III is still the BEST Turn-based strategy game IMO.

It may be old, but it never gets boring. I'd say more if it wasn't 4:30AM.

X-COM UFO defense...one of the best classic turn based games ever.

If you want a more recent one Galactic Civilizations 2 is quite good.

For RPG's you can't beat Fallout 1&2, and Fallout Tactics. Tactics was basically a squad based small unit tactics based in the fallout universe.

But for my turn based strategy fix, i still turn to the classic "Master of Orion". The first one. Very tectical, Ship design, colony building, and knowing how to beat the pants off of the computer! I still play MOO to this day, and have yet to find a game as challenging and as fun. Have never beaten it on the highest difficulty level. ;)

I also remember having a lot of fun with Mechanized Assault & Exploration (MAX). I've been wondering if there is a good more modern equivalent to this game.

It looks like there really isn't anything new out there.

I know about C&C and Supreme Commander. I actually own Total Anihalation and the expansion...CAVE DOG was the house that made those. I also did all the C&C stuff back in the day...I lost touch with the series at the Tiberium Sun days. I also have the WARCRAFT 3 game...It was good. I also own ALPHA CENTARI and it's expanion with the 2 aliens (forgot the name).

I like RTS games but hate having to feel like I am racing. So I try to keep my RTS games to a minimum since they all pretty much race. If I have to race and get my blood pumped up I go to First Person Shooters.

The most recent RTS game I played was DAWN of WAR from Relic. I very much enjoyed that game because you could upgrade squads with all kinds of cool variations. And now there are seven armies you can play in total.

I haven't purchased GALACTIC CIV 2...Dreadlords. I have the first one and it is good...but I don't want another 4X game.

Maybe it is time for me to design my own game.

Anyway if you have any more ideas...keep them coming.

Age of Wonders 1 and 2
Master of Orion 2
Fallout Tactics
Warlords 3

All of these are excellent games.

Jagged Alliance 2 is my all-time favourite. X-Com: UFO Defense mentioned above isn't bad either, although the gameplay is a bit rusty. Also, Steel Panthers series are worth mentioning.

Rome: Total War
Medieval 2: Total War

Great turn based strategy games.

Galactic Civilizations II and its expansion pack are, in my opinion, the best turn based strategy games of the last several years.
Civilization IV would also be something recent I recommend. Its a very solid iteration of the Civilization series, substantially improving the tedium of many tasks in previous games.

While not a turn based game, The Settlers II 10th anniversary edition is a very slow paced deliberate RTS.

If you want some of the classics, check out a subscription to game tap. They've got Civ III, both Age of Wonders, Alpha Centari, Panzer General II and Panzer 3D assault, Space Empires III and IV and a slew of other titles available. It's a subscription service so you have to keep paying for access to their library but they've got a $0.99 first month promotion so you can check it out to see if paying $7-8 month is worth it for you.

I love turn based strategy. RTS just can't deal with the sheer scope that a turn based system can. If you have to deal with the productions of 150 or more planets. And several fleets of 1000's of ships each. Just unmanagable in a RTS system. :)

Theatre of War was just released this weekend. While not turn based, it should appeal to your grognard roots. Think of it as a 3D Steel Panthers and you should get a good idea of what it is like.

The Total War series is also quite excellent. I'm currently playing Medieval 2 as the Scots. It's my third campaign so far. When the expansion comes out this fall, no doubt there'll be many more for me. Definitely give it a try if you haven't yet.

For replayability/multiplayer: Heroes of Might and Magic III
For a once through: Fallout & Fallout 2

Also recommend: X-Com

I'm suprised at you people, how could no one mention the Civilization series? :eek:

Particularily, Civilization IV? :p

I'm suprised at you people, how could no one mention the Civilization series? :eek:

Particularily, Civilization IV? :p

QFT! While healing from arthroscopic surgery on my left knee, I ended up spending 3 weeks of winter break playing Civilization III (and a bit of KOTOR, too).

Percocet + computer games = win. :D

Since I didn't want to throw away a lot of time on Civ 4, I haven't touched that yet.

However...I will say Civilization 2 or 3. I wasted so much time playing 2 in high school, and 3 in college.

Sword of the Stars is a turn based galactic conquest style game with Real time combat for the battles around the planets

Civilization IV would also be something recent I recommend. Its a very solid iteration of the Civilization series, substantially improving the tedium of many tasks in previous games.

I second that. I have Civ4 and the expansion. Multiplayer is actually worth trying in this version too.

on the market right now.

Hey guys. Could you all help me find a great turn based strategy game???

I remember the old SSI days with Panzer General, Peoples General, and their first 2...actually forgot the names but I own both 1 and 2 versions. I am looking for a good Hex based game or even a free flowing game. I play Miniature Table top games like Warhammer 40K and WARMACHINE.

I am looking for a game that emulates one of these. Somthing where you build your army, customize it by adding wargear...then roll it out onto the battlefield to defeat an opponent online or just the computer???

Please suggest current games or possibly future games yet to be released. If it has a roll playing feel that would be great also...like Disciples, or age of wonder. I own Galactic Civ...but I would like something different than a 4X type game. Anyway thanks in advance.

Brass

Rome Total War would be another one I can suggest. The battles can be set to resolve automatically so there is only the turn based play.

Echo on Rome:TW and Med2:TW. It's a nice mixture of turn-based strategy and real-time though. But if the real-time battles aren't your style you can simply auto-calc them... even though you'll be missing out on a bulk of the game (and arguably the most important aspect).

Master of Orion I and II, III kinda sucked. Whats MOO without micro?
Warlords I, II and III
Civlization I and II, later on it got a little to cluttered. Culture kind of defeated the original fun of building a large empire quick and duking it out with the comps.

Back