Best TN for color reproduction

idiotekniQues

Limp Gawd
i read that some TN can be quite good at color reproduction even with 6-bit and dithering.

a friend needs a monitor but only $300 bucks to spend tops. while it is for gaming, it also needs to be used for some color-sensitive work so the search is on for the TN panel with the best dithering ability.

any suggestions?

BenQ G2400WD is considered to be pretty good
V2400 is its cousin. read the local reviews on this forum.

Samsung T220 is supposed to be one of the best TN 22".

According to digitalversus and other reviews

i read that some TN can be quite good at color reproduction even with 6-bit and dithering.

That's a trick question. Some TNs are better at color reproduction than others, but 6-bit and dithering does not allow color reproduction that is actually good.

a friend needs a monitor but only $300 bucks to spend tops. while it is for gaming, it also needs to be used for some color-sensitive work so the search is on for the TN panel with the best dithering ability.

any suggestions?

Your quest is impossible. If it is going to be used for color-sensitive work, then he will have to spend more than $300 on a panel that is not a TN. Benq's 2400 line of monitors are the best TN panels for color reproduction, but even they are not sufficient for color-sensitive work, and they cost well over $300.

There have been a few VA panels for less than $300, but they have to cut some serious corners in the quality control department to get to that pricepoint. There might possibly be some good 17" or 19" non-TN panels for less than $300, but those screen sizes are now largely dominated by mediocre product.

I'm sure some TN owners will object, but they do not know what they are talking about.

That's a trick question. Some TNs are better at color reproduction than others, but 6-bit and dithering does not allow color reproduction that is actually good.

Your quest is impossible. If it is going to be used for color-sensitive work, then he will have to spend more than $300 on a panel that is not a TN. Benq's 2400 line of monitors are the best TN panels for color reproduction, but even they are not sufficient for color-sensitive work, and they cost well over $300.

There have been a few VA panels for less than $300, but they have to cut some serious corners in the quality control department to get to that pricepoint. There might possibly be some good 17" or 19" non-TN panels for less than $300, but those screen sizes are now largely dominated by mediocre product.

I'm sure some TN owners will object, but they do not know what they are talking about.

The Sammy T220 I just got has better color, whites, and blacks than my 8 bit O-MVA 19". They are running side by side, there is no question which looks better.

If you are doing pro photo work where you really need perfect color, you should not be having trouble stepping up from TN's price range anyway.

Not every TN is the same either. I bought this T220 and an LG L227WTG-PF to compare the glossy and matte side by side. Well I liked glossy but the T220's blacks, whites, and colors blew the LG out of the water in side by side tests. The LG had a washed out blue tint to everything that I could not solve with setting tweaks, as well as less deep blacks and less bright whites.

Not to over fanboy the T220 or anything, fankly I still may return it for it's biggest flaw; I can get a 24" for just a few more bucks. Finding a 24" with the same image quality is where my trouble is coming in =)

Back