Best Third Party or Hack to Restore Classic Menus in Windows 7

pc1x1

[H]ard|Gawd
I know the topic has been beaten to death, and people say move on, and to you, I say rubbish :D, I want to cling to the past, and enjoy my good old Start Menu.

I mean seriously it took me months to accept the damn start menu button became a ball, now that I am using Windows 7, I am stuck with that crappy start menu, its just like when they decided to call my things my documents, etc, etc.

Anyhow what's the best alternative you guys found to this problem.

http://www.sevenclassicstart.com/

This seems promising, but not sure how well it runs, or its compability, feel free to give suggestions, I saw a few tutorials, but I honestly much rather have the classic look, I hate the extended start menu, etc. Its just personal preference, don't even bother telling me to move on. I am running at 2560x1600, so its not real estate.

Thanks!

As far as I know, there isn't a way to enable the classic Start Menu in Windows7. Microsoft completely removed that option. But, I'm sure that after it's been released to the public, there will be a hack or visual style or something that will try to mimic it as much as possible. The link you provided is the only thing I've seen that even attempts this. If it means that much to you, might as well give it a try.

I can live with it honestly, but its frustrates me, because I don't like it taking up space.

But honestly Windows 7 has so much positive press, why do they insist on frustrating us, they can leave the garbage taskbar, and menus on if they want, but why won't they give us a choice boggles my mind.

Honestly If I could revert all menus, control panel, etc to Windows 98/Windows 2000 or NT, Server style, I would.

Even the crap XP did, annoyed me, hehe.

I cant understand why anyone would want that old start menu. Seriously try just hitting the windows button, typing a few letters of the program you want to run, and hit enter when it pops up.

Go ahead try it. And then the ones I use most often show up in the main window. I literally never go searching for programs anymore.

Thinking about endless expanding menus gives me chills.

The reason Microsoft left out classic menus is because the want to evolve their GUI. We don't need people who are stuck on how things use to be. It slows progress. I agree with kre62 that you should give it a try. It is actually much easier to use with its greatly improved searching.

The reason Microsoft left out classic menus is because the want to evolve their GUI. We don't need people who are stuck on how things use to be. It slows progress. I agree with kre62 that you should give it a try. It is actually much easier to use with its greatly improved searching.

3rded. I remember back in the XP days when categorizing programs in the Start menu made life a little easier. Now doing such a thing in Vista/7 is completely unnecessary; Winkey+"type your search term here"+(Enter or 'click'). It's just so much easier and faster.

Why, if Microsoft didn't believe in evolving the UI of Windows then we would still be stuck with the old Program Manager. I mean who in their right mind still wants to use this:

krnl386001.png

64917634ae4b4hnwbarfeh8.gif

I understand completely what you guys mean, but to me personally it wasn't broken.

I have no problem using it for now, I been trying it etc, I mean the concepts are the same, but I find myself just using the run box nonstop. My problem is theres no choice, why can't we have the freedom to decide?

Start typing and it auto shows what I wanted. But personally I prefer not to search an indexed hardrive like that, I don't want a search engine, heck if I am actually using the start menu, means I am problably tired, and just want to at leisure scroll along with my mouse, not type. If I want to type, Ill just keyboard short cut my way into the system. I want my old start menu, lol. Whats most ironic, I am pretty young by computer standards, so its funny, but I still want my old start menu back hehe.

This is supposed to give you a hierarchical menu similar to the Classic Start Menu (I haven't tried it since I haven't installed 7 yet):

1. Right click the task bar and select Properties
2. Click the Start Menu tab
3. Click the Customize button
4. Navigate to Documents and select "Display as a menu"
5. Click OK to close each dialog box
6. Right click Documents in the Start menu and select Properties
7. Click the Include a Folder button
8. In the left pane, navigate to ProgramData \ Microsoft \ Windows \ StartMenu and select the Programs folder
9. Click the Include Folder button

I see the new Start Menu causing issues in an enterprise environment, personally.

it was hard enough getting new users to understand the new ribbon in Office 2007 :eek:

This is supposed to give you a hierarchical menu similar to the Classic Start Menu (I haven't tried it since I haven't installed 7 yet):

1. Right click the task bar and select Properties
2. Click the Start Menu tab
3. Click the Customize button
4. Navigate to Documents and select "Display as a menu"
5. Click OK to close each dialog box
6. Right click Documents in the Start menu and select Properties
7. Click the Include a Folder button
8. In the left pane, navigate to ProgramData \ Microsoft \ Windows \ StartMenu and select the Programs folder
9. Click the Include Folder button

I did this, the problem its not a skinny menu, with things I actually use, its this big square box thing, haha.

Thanks forf the tip though.

I see the new Start Menu causing issues in an enterprise environment, personally.

it was hard enough getting new users to understand the new ribbon in Office 2007 :eek:
Yea likewise.

hardly use start menu

got the standard small-icon "quick-launch" toolbar back on the start menu bar (about 8-10 icons for my most highly used apps)... then created more toolbars for games, inet apps, and sys apps....but those are pop-up menus (icons arent displayed on the menu, just a pop-up list)....

never use the start menu for anything...

I can't believe all you guys complaining about the start menu. It's easy to get use to, besides do you always have the start menu open? Just drag your program shortcuts to the
Programs panel.

I can't believe all you guys complaining about the start menu. It's easy to get use to, besides do you always have the start menu open? Just drag your program shortcuts to the
Programs panel.

try explaining that to thousands of un-savvy users that have only ever used XP :p

We don't need people who are stuck on how things use to be. It slows progress.
Heh. No it doesn't. The invention of the automobile didn't make walking or the bicycle obsolete, did it?

You give people options and they generally take the route of least resistance. You lose nothing by merely providing a potentially less efficient alternative. Progress chugs along regardless.

I found it hard to adjust but now I love the 7 start menu. Stuff I used to access alot in the start menu I simply "pin to taskbar". Problem solved.

For rare occasions that I need to access the start menu for something else, big deal. Not very often.

If that doesn't work then get rocketdock.

all of my apps are toolbar'd/quicklaunched, like this:
36445385.png

48774279.png

i never even need to go into start menu/programs....

I cant understand why anyone would want that old start menu. Seriously try just hitting the windows button, typing a few letters of the program you want to run, and hit enter when it pops up.

Go ahead try it. And then the ones I use most often show up in the main window. I literally never go searching for programs anymore.

Thinking about endless expanding menus gives me chills.

I'm not a fan of the new start menu because of this:

Windows XP example:
Start
Type C: in the "Run" field
Hit enter
C drive opens up

Windows 7 Example:
Start
Type C: in the "Search" field
Hit enter
Calculator app loads up

I have used the XP way of opening the C drive, out of OCD habit for soooooo long. Now on 7, I regularly open up Calc and get completely confused for a second or so.

I need to break that habit. But, why not have 2 fields. One for "Run" and one for "Search"?

Windows XP example:
Start
Hit enter
C drive opens up

Windows 7 Example:
Start
Hit enter
Calculator app loads up

I have used the XP way of opening the C drive, out of OCD habit for soooooo long. Now on 7, I regularly open up Calc and get completely confused for a second or so.

I need to break that habit. But, why not have 2 fields. One for "Run" and one for "Search"?

In 7 just do this

Start
Type Run enter
c: enter

Its that easy.

Or the quicker albeit somewhat awkward Windows+R.

I'm a big proponent of having small icons on the taskpar and pinning shit to it like crazy. It has the added bonus of making QuickLaunch pointless, which is kind of nice :)

Alongside of this topic...I wish a classic desktop could be enabled, as well as leaving Run in there by default.

For support purposes, a lot of times we have to walk end users through right clicking the My Computer icon, selecting Manage...and going from there. Or start==>Run==><something>.

For support purposes, those are widely used.

you CAN add "Run" back onto the Start Menu, you know :p

the first thing I did when I loaded Win7 onto my laptop :D

Windows XP example:
Start
Hit enter
C drive opens up

Windows 7 Example:
Start
Hit enter
Calculator app loads up

You don't like it because the quick search box doesnt work the same as the run box?

:confused::confused::confused::confused: whhhhhhhhat?? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

If it's a big deal, fire up the run dialog just like you used to before in XP.

Seriously.... we have some people who just don't get it! (argh! symbol here).

Windows XP example:
Start
Hit enter
C drive opens up

Windows 7 Example:
Start
Hit enter
Calculator app loads up

Running Windows 7 here.... If I press Windows Key, c:, Enter I get explorer at c:\, not Calculator. Did you miss the colon?

Or the quicker albeit somewhat awkward Windows+R.

I'm a big proponent of having small icons on the taskpar and pinning shit to it like crazy. It has the added bonus of making QuickLaunch pointless, which is kind of nice :)

How is Windows + R awkward? I use that probably more than any other shortcut in the history of shortcuts. Part of the reason that I don't care all that much about the UI changes one way or the other is because I know the run command for damn near everything :D

I will say though, the start menu search is very nice though, once I actually started using it :)

Windows 7 Example:
Start
Hit enter
Calculator app loads up
Try typing C:\ or Computer or use Windows+E. Oddly enough C: and Z: open their respective partitions on my computer. You sure you're not misspelling "C:" somehow? :D

[q]But personally I prefer not to search an indexed hardrive like that, I don't want a search engine*snip*[/quote]Understandable but searching an entire disk for tag:"tig ol' bitties" might take a while longer than using the index, which is really where it shines.

Running Windows 7 here.... If I press Windows Key, c:, Enter I get explorer at c:\, not Calculator. Did you miss the colon?

same here, just tried it out myself...

start
type "c:"

and it opened the explorer window in the "C:\" directory, not calculator... :confused:

How is Windows + R awkward?
The way I do it requires some weird hand contortion, at least on a PC keyboard. On my Apple keyboard, hitting the Windows key (Command) is less awkward.

I guess you could use your pinky and your index finger, but that seems almost weirder.

Originally Posted by Shambler

Windows XP example:
Start
Hit enter
C drive opens up

Windows 7 Example:
Start
Hit enter
Calculator app loads up

I just tried what you said and it opened c:. not calculator

all of my apps are toolbar'd/quicklaunched, like this:

snip

i never even need to go into start menu/programs....

Thanks for the great tip, the new start menu is ok for me, I do use the quick search to open programs but what I don’t understand is when I for example type “ev” without the quotes it doesn’t show me EVGA Precision until I type “evg”, doesn’t EVGA Precision begins with an “ev”?!

Double checking my OCD issue in Vista. Will double check in Win7 when I get home.
Could have sworn...

-edit- Alright Vista: Start, C:, Enter Brings up Calc

Checked with a Win7: I stand corrected. Pulls up the C drive.

Looks like Vista was the culprit! Well, that and I am too lazy and set in my ways to adapt :D

Last edited:
Back