Best thermal paste to use?

sequoia

Limp Gawd
I am getting ready to place a purchase of thermal paste. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestion. AS5 seems to be the popular choice, but what is the best paste to have? AS5, MX2, TX2 ?

I like to use it on the CPU and GPU, if it makes any different

Thanks
Chris

Not really going to make any huge difference, probably will not even make a small difference. Applying it properly and a good "mount" is more important. Use what is easy to get and will not break the bank.

Almost all review sites show that the MX-2 outperforms Arctic Silver 5, although I've yet to try it.

I saw in another forum a test over a lot of thermal paste’s to see which makes lower temperatures, the Arctic Silver 5 wasn’t no.1 but most reviews on that no.1 said that its bad and it like sticks for ever or something
(I’ll look it up 4 U if you want)

I had a surplus of AS3 I have been using for years it seems. But in a pinch, stock white paste is fine, trust me, it's not going to make a huge difference when applied properly.

But if you are going to go to the trouble of reapplying paste, might as well use some of the better stuff.

I've used MX-1 and AS5 and MX-1 always yields at least a degree or two better temps. Plus it's non-conductive and non-capacitive and requires no curing time. You could always buy a tube of both and see for yourself.

MX-2 is supposed to be really good: no curing time and non-conductive. I've got a tube I'm going to be using on me new PC.

http://translate.google.com/transla...fe=off&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools

|crappy thermal interface|
Tital Nano Blue 59
Panasonic 58.5
KPT-8 (reference) 56.6

|decent thermal interface|
Data Cooler 57
Titan TTG S-104 , S-103 56.7
Pasta Siliconowa 56.6
Zalman CSL 850 56.5
Noctua 56.5
Stars Silver 56.5
Stars 700/Aero 700 56
GeIL GL-TCP1b 55.6
Thermopox 55.6
КПТ-8(BeO) 55.5
Sil more 55.5
Shin-Etsu(white) 55.5
W.P. 55.5
STARS (white, soft pack) 55.5
AKT-842 55
Fanner 420 55
Koolance 55

|good thermal interface|
Arctic Alumina 55.5
Arctic Silver-3 54.6
AOS 54.5
DC-340 54.5
Asetek 54.5
Arctic Silver-5 53.5
Arctic Ceramique 53.5

|great thermal interface|
Apus TMG 301 52.5
Gigabyte 52.5
Titan Nano Grease TTG-G30010 52.5
GFC-M1 D90T8-010 52.5
Shin-Etsu MicroSi G-751 52

|outstanding thermal interface|
Arctic Cooling MX-1 51.5
Shin-Etsu MicroSi MPU-3.7 50.5
Coollaboratory Liquid Pro 50

see the rev at newegg about the Coollaboratory Liquid Pro
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835121005

Arctic Cooling MX-2 has been performing great. Not the easiest thing to find in a store near you, but a good performer overall.

The most important thing is application of any of these though. Right now I am getting TERRIBLE temps on my CPU and I am almost certain it is because of the shitty application of a thermal paste pad that came with my cooler. So I figure I will try out a true reapplication of AS Ceramique probably.

Non-conductive = Ceramique

GPU most recommend ceramique

CPU toss up AS5 or the latest from ArcticCooling, MX-2 I think.

i'm no expert and i have zero expereince but i'm having zero problems with the ceramique on my processor and i'm pretty sure i did a shoddy job and need to redo, but the temps seem to be fine.

I've never tried AS5 (it wasn't out last time I built a system, which was 6 years ago), but I just used MX-2 and had no problems. It was like, $1 more than AS5 on newegg or something.

MX-2 FTW - I've tried a TON of different pastes and I've had the best luck with MX-2.

Back