Best Steam Games of 2018 So Far

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Steam has published its "The Best of 2018 (SO FAR)" list that covers its Top Sellers, Top New Releases, Top Selling VR Games, and the Most Simultaneous Players. Interestingly, the number 2 and 3 spots on the Top Sellers list are Free to Play.

Larian Studios announced in late November of 2017 that Divinity: Original Sin II had sold over 1 million copies: https://steamcommunity.com/games/435150/announcements/detail/1470852371569216037

But Valve lists it as having Gold status, which means it has sold over 500,000 copies.

Platinum status means that over 1,000,000 copies have been sold.

I wonder what's up.

Edit: Oh. I guess that Valve mean that D: OS II has sold over 500,000 since 2018 started.

Or, maybe Valve's classification isn't specifically about sales (or being claimed for F2P), but is some arbitrary amalgamation of stats Valve came up with.

Really interesting to see how a few games really stand one. Particularly older ones like Dota 2 and CS Go (which I haven't played) but are always top of these lists. My family has definitely had fun with Rainbow six siege (I have 7 copies...) and Rocket League though. Too bad we don't have stats (or do we?) for blizzard and ea games as well.

Larian Studios announced in late November of 2017 that Divinity: Original Sin II had sold over 1 million copies: https://steamcommunity.com/games/435150/announcements/detail/1470852371569216037

But Valve lists it as having Gold status, which means it has sold over 500,000 copies.

Platinum status means that over 1,000,000 copies have been sold.

I wonder what's up.

Edit: Oh. I guess that Valve mean that D: OS II has sold over 500,000 since 2018 started.

Or, maybe Valve's classification isn't specifically about sales (or being claimed for F2P), but is some arbitrary amalgamation of stats Valve came up with.

Or... Steam only counts Steam purchases. Divinity Original Sin II is also available via GOG.

Or... Steam only counts Steam purchases. Divinity Original Sin II is also available via GOG.

Yup. I own the first game through GoG and the second through Steam (ease of multiplayer since ppl I play with all have it on Steam).

Oh wow, RimWorld is still up there. Crazy to think how one dev made $20 million+ on a single game, which is still selling like a new AAA game.

I think he wrote a piece on time-efficient game development. And holy heck, I think I'm inclined to believe him...

got all the castlevania ones as well as 3 of the "new" wolfenstein games, and 2 LOTR based ones (shadow of mordor and shadow of war)

SOM while not a 2018 game, I am VERY impressed by it, plays very very well (such a gorgeous looking game)
on my "ancient" system that has been upgraded with SSD (a month or so back...MX500 1tb)

Phenom II 955 (clocked 980 levels, max temp 44c overclock HT and CPU-NB)
MSI Radeon 7870 TFIII OC (run this at 525 core 1200 memory)

game truly runs like a dream no "noticeable" lag issues that I have noticed 1080p with "some" settings one step below the highest and some that I know to be very Nv biased turned to low instead of medium...either way, am very happy to have gotten all these games on summer sale..all told ~$190 "value" spent just a hair over $70 ^.^

Thank you Steam and the various devs/publishers, the only game that I found has issues so far is the bethesda wolfenstein ones not launching properly and bitching about an older gpu driver wanting me to use a "newer one" (or absolutely refuses to launch) which causes various other problems with locking system up etc, whereas the "newer" and far higher spec SOM has not bitched at me once HAHA.

Back