Best SSDs currently?

SphincterBoy

Limp Gawd
I'm in the market for a new SSD since BF4 has outgrown the old 60GB that it has always been on. I don't feel like doing a bunch of research, nor do I need the best and fastest. I just need a solid, dependable SSD. The best bang for the buck so to speak. Recommendations?

I went for Samsung 850 Evo for my newest build, but I've used Kingston SSDNow drives (cheap), Sandisk drives (the el cheapo ones, can't remember the name) and crucial drives.

I would recommend any of them. I've never encountered any issues.

intel would be top of the list if you want a no thrills reliable ssd.
samsung 3d v-nand a good second choice.

850 pro ssd's are MLC and dont need tricks to get fast writes, 850 evo's are TLC and need to emulate SLC to get fast write performance. So far I havent heard any bad things about 850 evo's but the 840 evo's had issues which makes me a bit wary of them.

Samsung 850 pro would the best overall
Samsung 850 evo a good balance between price and performance.
Crucial BX100 decent ssd, but imo its strongest asset is that its cheap.

950 Pro if you want top premo price and speed

850 pro/ Extreme Pro if you want best SATA for small premium

MX200 if you want best all rounder for best bang for your buck.

If getting 100% best performance even if it is questionable you may actually notice it is your thing getting 950 pro or 850 pro/ Extreme Pro would your choice

but if getting near best performance for a substantial less cost is your thin then nab the MX200. You can find it on sale frequently. I plan on getting 2 1TBs for my data storage once they go sub 300 again.

512GB 950 Pro=350
850 Pro/Extreme Pro 1TB is 300-400 or 512 is a bit less. Forget the prices of the 500 GB range.

1 TB MX200 is 300 +/- depending on the sale so MX200 is the best price for the performance and you can never go wrong with those.

By the sound of it your best option is the MX200. It is a solid drive especially for the price. Much better then the EVOs

Best budget SSD definitely a crucial bx or mx
Best performance and reliablity samsung evo or pro

Samsung 850 EVO is my price/performance pick. Something like a Samsung 950 Pro or Intel 750 won't make a difference for most people.

Once installed you wouldn't know which of them you were using. Just look for the best deal on the day.

there is no "top sad" that isn't NVME these days. Sata being top dog is dead.

note for most people nvme compared to sata wont be noticeable, nvme only benefits extreme situations such as live heavy encoding.

Also to be fair the OP didnt request top notch performance, he wants a reliable ssd.

Gonna say Samsung 850 Pro for reliability, 3D V-Nand with its larger lithography and a 10 year/300TBW (or 82+GB/day) warranty, not gonna get much better mfg confidence than that in the consumer space.

Crucial MX200 because you can use it as SLC SSD if you use no more than half its capacity. Only works for the 250GB SATA model and the 250/500GB M.2 models. But better than this you cannot get.

Also, Crucial gives you capacitors + MLC NAND memory for less money than Samsung TLC drives. Which is crazy; Samsungs are way overpriced.

Having owned, Samsung 840 and 850 EVO drives, a Crucial BX100, Kingston V300's, Mushkin Chronos(don't get this), WD black combo(ssd plus a spin drive), and probably a couple of others I'm forgetting. I'm leaning towards another Crucial drive next time.

I've never benched any of my drives. I just use them. The EVO's are fine I guess, never any reliability issues(knocks on wood), but the Crucial seems to be the fastest boot time and smoothest experience overall. I've moved the EVO's and Crucial between some builds so it's not mobo/build dependent. The Crucial now sits in my Alienware alpha, which is no powerhouse. FAST boot time. FAST CSGO load times. If I had a more demanding workload that taxed the drives past the few simple tasks I ask of them; I may be more concerned with benching etc.... But I just want it to boot fast, and load the few games I play fast.

So Crucial for me is #1, with Samsung 850EVO a close second. Wouldn't mind a 850Pro though :)

Last edited:
A Kingston HyperX Savage or Samsung 850 EVO would be my top choices. I don't have any experience with Crucial's SSDs but people seem to like them too.

I've been very happy with Kingston's older V300 series in various systems. Samsung's 840 EVO had issues but the 850 line seems to be fine.

well someone locally has one(850 evo) with xternal case for 80$ so i was just wondering if thats a good deal or not.

well someone locally has one(850 evo) with xternal case for 80$ so i was just wondering if thats a good deal or not.

does it look like the EVO mSATA? and can you put it in and see if it shows SMART data showing it is a Sammy? If those 2 things match it has to be a Sammy but what you should be worried about is how many writes it has done. Ask the person to show you the SMART data. Never buy used without seeing SMART data.

Back