Best SSD currently ?

Ugh. Too much (that is, narrow it down).

On the cheap, but performant side, I like the Samsung EVO devices. Both NVMe and SATA. They do go on sale from time to time, I'd recommend waiting for the really really good sales. Then they cost very similar to their lesser performant cousins.

I like Samsung personally, one of my 1TB 980 Pro's has read and written almost 1PB of data and still has 56% life left.
Samsung-980-Pro-56-percent-Chia.jpg

Is there a reason why it is asked ?

The p5800x maybe ?
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-optane-ssd-dc-p5800x-review
Intel’s Optane SSD DC P5800X is the fastest and most endurant NVMe SSD we’ve ever tested, easily beating any SSD on the market in both performance and endurance. But it’s pricey and has limited capacity, making it a niche product.

And it would be by a good amount the worst choice on the market for most people, if the category in mind did not include price.

SK Hynix P41
WD SN850x
Samsung 980 Pro/990 Pro (the latter is gonna hurt)

Seems like this question pops up every few weeks.

People forget to mention the Kingston KC3000 , things a beast and rated at the top of most tests.

Samsung 980 PRO - ya fast, when it works with their broken super cache and your cache not clearing and thus performance tanks to crap.
WD or Kingston or the SK Hynix

Is there a reason why it is asked ?

The p5800x maybe ?
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-optane-ssd-dc-p5800x-review
Intel’s Optane SSD DC P5800X is the fastest and most endurant NVMe SSD we’ve ever tested, easily beating any SSD on the market in both performance and endurance. But it’s pricey and has limited capacity, making it a niche product.

And it would be by a good amount the worst choice on the market for most people, if the category in mind did not include price.

Sure if you need massive IOPS the Optane is great, but otherwise, no point.

Last edited:
People forget to mention the Kingston KC3000 , things a beast and rated at the top of most tests.

Samsung 980 PRO - ya fast, when it works with their broken super cache and your cache not clearing and thus performance tanks to crap.

How do you know when the performance tanks? Is it really noticeable? Reason I ask is I have 2 machines with them as OS drives and one as a storage drive.
I haven't noticed anything wrong with either system.

I'm a Samsung 980 Pro user, which I bought because the WDSN850X hadn't been released at the time. Used mainly as an OS and temporary holding drive, and being about 1/3 full most of the time, I've had zero performance issues with it. The Western Digital is slightly faster and both run hot to the point of throttling if you don't have a motherboard based heatsink or buy one pre-equipped with a heatsink.

I'd look for whichever one has a better sale going on. Shame you missed out on the Thanksgiving sales when the 2TB 980 Pro was being sold for about half what I paid.

In the SATA III interface 2.5 inch form factor, I'd like to give an honorable mention to my Crucial C300 drives which have been in use since mid-April, 2011 and are still healthy and still in RAID 0. MLC sure is durable.

The Solidigm P44 might be worth considering also. It's basically an SK Hynix P41 with improved firmware and some performance uplifts.

How do you know when the performance tanks? Is it really noticeable? Reason I ask is I have 2 machines with them as OS drives and one as a storage drive.
I was anxious about the same thing. Turns out it's not a big deal at all. From what I have gather, If it ever happens on certain very large files it just decelerates to about half it's top speed which is more than fine at like 3000_3500mbps. Now I have no worries at all. Also the block failure is very rare. I compare it to the Nvidia quadruple adapter only a small percentage of them have been reported which is normal. Basically I have no worries at all considering the massive population of ps5 owners have slammed in 980pros into their playstations and that is A LOT of playstations. Reviews are in the tens of thousands all 5 star which is why I went with it in the first place. The majority voice matters.

I'm a Samsung 980 Pro user, which I bought because the WDSN850X hadn't been released at the time. Used mainly as an OS and temporary holding drive, and being about 1/3 full most of the time, I've had zero performance issues with it. The Western Digital is slightly faster and both run hot to the point of throttling if you don't have a motherboard based heatsink or buy one pre-equipped with a heatsink.

I'd look for whichever one has a better sale going on. Shame you missed out on the Thanksgiving sales when the 2TB 980 Pro was being sold for about half what I paid.

In the SATA III interface 2.5 inch form factor, I'd like to give an honorable mention to my Crucial C300 drives which have been in use since mid-April, 2011 and are still healthy and still in RAID 0. MLC sure is durable.
The trick is to install a slim single thermal pad on only the controller on the 980pro nvme drive because from the factory the controller is shorter in height compared to the 2 ram modules next to it. So after digging deeper I noticed that the motherboard heatsinks or any heatsink for that matter do NOT actually make contact with the controller, this is where a thin thermal pad makes up the difference and decreased the temp by a whopping 10 or more degrees. Worked like a charm.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Samsung+980+PRO+cache+issues&t=brave&ia=web

Their firmware fix worked for some but others not, for me it did nothing.

https://allinfo.space/2021/10/09/lo...stigating-slc-cache-problem-with-the-980-pro/
The editors became aware of the problem through the problem report from the community of user “Slashchat”, whose Samsung 980 Pro has only achieved a low writing performance “for a few days”. Since the SSD is only 30 percent full, it cannot be due to insufficient storage space for the SLC mode. A screenshot shows that the 980 Pro with 500 GB only manages around 1,100 MB/s in the benchmark, although according to the manufacturer it should achieve 5,000 MB/s when writing with SLC Turbo.

Last edited:
The Solidigm P44 might be worth considering also. It's basically an SK Hynix P41 with improved firmware and some performance uplifts.
I didn't even realize Solidigm was a thing. Apparently it's owned by SK Hynix and is a rebrand of the SSD business they acquired from Intel?
Interesting that they sell SSDs under both the parent and sub brands. I know other companies do this too, but it does make things more confusing

I didn't even realize Solidigm was a thing. Apparently it's owned by SK Hynix and is a rebrand of the SSD business they acquired from Intel?
Interesting that they sell SSDs under both the parent and sub brands. I know other companies do this too, but it does make things more confusing

Yeah, that's all correct. I'm guessing they'll eventually merge the two together and/or phase out one name, similar to how WD/SanDisk dropped the latter for SSDs.

I hadn't realized they put out a copy of the SK Hynix P41 under the Solidigm name. I thought I'd read that they were going to reserve that branding for their more budget-oriented units, but guess not.

Reactions: xx0xx
like this
That's probably because it was the 500gb model? Maybe the smaller gb models performance is not as fast as the 2tb versions which are the most popular ones?

After a quick search, other owners of the Samsung 980 Pro quickly found similar problem descriptions. There, for example, the 1 TB model only manages around 2,000 MB/s (instead of 5,000 MB/s) and the model with 250 GB also allegedly loses performance – the problem therefore does not only affect a single model in the series.

Seems to vary.

Speed wise the WD 850 is tough to beat. I get nearly the 7000MBps in my laptop with it. However, in day to day use it appears no faster than a SATA 500MBps drive.

Reviewers forget that not many day to day applications are much larger than 400MB so that second is kind of hard to break down...

I couldn't help it. I've been eyeing a 4tb NVMe for a long time and grabbed the SN850X 4tb version. I'll report it's read/write/thermal performance when I have the new setup up and running.

I bought a KC3000 - I found someone selling a 850X he couldn't return for whatever reason - I was gonna buy it and return mine. But, he had sold it before I could go get it.
The KC3000 is one of the better ones - but, the top ones akaik is the 850X and P41. However, those two latter ones are really expensive especially the 2TB versions. At least, where I live.
Thank you!
When you say, 'best' - do you mean best regardless of price? Or best for price/performance? The best ones are usually really expensive - if you ask me. :) Also, 1tb SSDs appear to have come down a bit in price whereas 2TB ones are pretty expensive - then there's the pcie 3.0 vs 4.0 and DRAM-less drives.

I just completed my build today with a 2tb 980 Pro first main drive and a 4tb WDSN850X secondary/programs/games drive. Having 6tb of NVMe on you main rig is quite luxurious. I'm about to download 50 games or more without a flinch lol

I just completed my build today with a 2tb 980 Pro first main drive and a 4tb WDSN850X secondary/programs/games drive. Having 6tb of NVMe on you main rig is quite luxurious. I'm about to download 50 games or more without a flinch lol
I have about 112 games downloaded but have 11.5 TBs of SSD space just took out my stupid HDD drives so sick of the having to wait for a disk to spin up. I want a 4 TB SSD all I have are stupid 1TB drives and 2TB.

I really want a Samsung 4TB M.2 but I don't think they make any.

I have about 112 games downloaded but have 11.5 TBs of SSD space just took out my stupid HDD drives so sick of the having to wait for a disk to spin up. I want a 4 TB SSD all I have are stupid 1TB drives and 2TB.

I really want a Samsung 4TB M.2 but I don't think they make any.
What SSDs are you running right now?

Yea Samsung doesn't make it yet but there is nothing wrong with the WD drive in fact It's faster if you look at the bench scores it has a good warranty also.

What SSDs are you running right now?

Yea Samsung doesn't make it yet but there is nothing wrong with the WD drive in fact It's faster if you look at the bench scores it has a good warranty also.

X2 970 2TB Samsung EVOs Gen 3
X1 980 1TB Samsung Gen 3
X2 860 1TB Samsung EVOs 2.5"
X1 870 2TB Samsung QVO 2.5"
X1 850 512 GB OS Drive 2.5"
X1 980 2TB Samsung Pro Gen 4

Untitled.jpg

Is that a mix of M.2 NVMe and 2.5 ssds?

Yep that is what happens when you buy the latest 2.5" Drives back in 2018 or whatever for 200.00 for a 1 TB Drive =)
Not knowing in the future that games keep getting bigger no matter what. My internet is slow so I have a ton of games installed
re-downloading everything would take me a few weeks. I wish the Epic launcher wouldn't delete the game director when you uninstall it.
You can rename the folder to something else so it doesn't delete it.

Last edited:
Back