Best Sprint phone (upgrade from 8830 Curve)

KarsusTG

2[H]4U
I was looking at them and there are a few that look promising. HTC Hero looking the best of them (at least to me. 5mp cam, that new andriod os.) I mostly use my phone for contacts, taking notes, taking pics, and calendar tracking. I use ~150min a month use and only occasionally surf the net, usually when stuck w8ing for food or a movie. I do like to occasionally play pacman, risk, and other such games on the phone :p

What do you guys recommend?

The Epic or Evo for sure. The Hero is end of life right now, you're investing in an out of date phone that you'll have for another two years. Not a good choice.

Evo if you like not having a physical keyboard (like me)
Epic if you want the kbd.
Hero is cute but slow, small screen and old.

I have never had a phone that didnt have a physical keyboard. Is it a pain in the butt to use?

I would take the Epic over the Evo even if you didn't want the keyboard. Mostly just for the better display. I haven't touched the Epic, so I'm not sure if the keyboard is a pain to use, but from what I can see, it doesn't look bad. I'm sure it's nothing you couldn't get used to. I got used to my Droids keyboard in just a few hours and people say it has the shittiest keyboard ever (which may be true, but I don't have a prob with it whatsoever and I came from an LG Voyager before which had a huge keyboard).

The only thing you're sacrificing with the Epic over the Evo is the .3" of extra screen (4" vs. 4.3"), the HDMI port that < 1% people use and the kickstand. But you gain a better (super AMOLED) screen and slightly faster CPU/GPU. Just my take on it. The only thing that sucks about the Epic right now is that it hasn't gotten the 2.2 update yet and the Evo has.

If you have any interest in running emulators, you'll want that physical keyboard. I love my Evo, but it sucks trying to play my favorite old school console games on a glass surface.

i went from a blackberry to the palm pre myself and i love it. the hardware is definitely outdated when compared to the evo or epic but i think webos is far more polished than android

I love my Epic, it's much much more than I had hoped for going in. the keyboard is a nice feature and very useful, but I find myself using swype the majority of the time, as I was told I probably would from others here.
I would not want to be without the keyboard however, there are times where it is just more usable/useful.

Hopefully 2.2 will be out soon, although I haven't seen any major drawbacks to being on 2.1
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Another vote for Evo, HTC has shown great support in keeping up with the updates for this phone, along with the best dev community on xda.

Go to the Sprint store and use both the Evo and Epic and see which one you like better, can't really go wrong with either. Keep in mind that both will cost extra for the 4g service.

If you don't want to pay the extra for 4g, you could go with another BB. The Bold 9650, while nothing special, is way better than your 8830 (pretty sure that is the boxy world edition). The newer Curves (8530 and the newer one 'Curve 3g') feel cheap to me, but again will be a lot nicer than your 8830.

Depends on how you are about updates and modding your phone. Epic has the best hardware and screen combination with Touch Wiz, which i like more than HTC Sense. EVO is going to be bulkier, and won't have screen as good, nor is as fast. However, development community behind EVO is way bigger than development community behind EPiC as samsung isn't really doing things the same way HTC is, many developers do not go through the hustle of learning their ways. Also, if having Android 2.2 now is important to you, then you better go with EVO as Epic is still on 2.1... Samsung promised 2.2 in September, but looks like it is being pushed back :(.

went from 8830 to EVO, ( still have 8830 for work) I bought my daughter an epic, she said the keyboard takes a bit to get used to as the keys are flat, not rounded like the 8830. If there is one thing RIM got right it's the 8830 keyboard, I can fly on that thing. The EVO keyboard, not so much, and unless they open up Swype beta you will have some grief with the EVO screen's keyboard.

the latest update for the evo has made it the best phone ive ever had !

its really smooth and fast now

the latest update for the evo has made it the best phone ive ever had !

its really smooth and fast now

^This. With the Fps cap lifted its as smooth as silk now. I've had dm evo since launch day and love it. I know the epic has a slightly nicer screen and a better Jou but Imo Samsung phones feel like cheap crap. I played with the epic and while its better than other Samsung phones I've tried before its still no where near as solid a phone as HTC devices are.

+1 for evo.

i went from a blackberry to the palm pre myself and i love it. the hardware is definitely outdated when compared to the evo or epic but i think webos is far more polished than android

I looked very hard at this actually, as I basically use my phone as a palm pilot with phone capability, and they had a rediculous number of good reviews but I didnt want something that old.

I think I am going to have to go look at the Evo and Epic at the sprint store. I do like the keyboard on the 8830, but I cant stand the trackball. I dont have enough experience with touchpad keyboards to form an opinion on them so I wont.

I know I refuse to write an email with a stylus...

I dont know what the fps limitation on teh phone is going to do to it as I dont watch tv on my phones, but who knows, new habits get formed all the time and I have a media server just w8ing. lol.

hey you don't need a physical keyboard you just need Swype

get an evo and install swype! It's fucking 2010 !!

I say wait and see what microsoft phones or palm/HP phones come out in the next month or two. I tried to like android for 10 months and couldn't stand it (or the hardware running it).

I have a palm pre that I've been able to overclock from 600mhz to 1000mhz and its amazingly fast. I never thought a smart phone could be so quick.

I say wait and see what microsoft phones or palm/HP phones come out in the next month or two. I tried to like android for 10 months and couldn't stand it (or the hardware running it).

which phone did you have ?

I used windows mobile for 2 years before I got my G1 with TM and now switched to sprint for the evo in june and haven't looked back from any other mobile OS. I have seen android grow from the initial release and it's getting better all the time. I love my EVO it really is a great device. I finally feel as if I have a small laptop/tablet PC with me at all times that doesn't hamper me in any way. Try it you might be suprised.

Well, considering that Win7 isn't coming out at all in the US until late october/early november, and it's not coming to Sprint or Verizon until May of 2011, I think it's safe to pass them by for now. There's no HP/WebOS phones in the works for anytime soon either. Many months away there.

wellthe hero isnt to bad once you toss a new rom it. at the time when I had a choice between the htc hero and the samsung moment... it really wasnt a hard decision. The hero just has a bigger backing.

I'm looking at my upgrade in november to be the evo. unless sammy gets their act together and fix a lot of the current issues with the epic

wellthe hero isnt to bad once you toss a new rom it.

Going back to a Hero from the EVO or Epic is painful. New rom or not, the phone is horribly outdated, which is pretty bad considering it's just turning a year old. I'm shocked Sprint still has it priced at $149.99 compared to the $200 EVO, there's just no comparison.

wellthe hero isnt to bad once you toss a new rom it. at the time when I had a choice between the htc hero and the samsung moment... it really wasnt a hard decision. The hero just has a bigger backing.

I'm looking at my upgrade in november to be the evo. unless sammy gets their act together and fix a lot of the current issues with the epic

you wont be upset with the evo. not one bit. Every week i find something new and cool i can do with the phone, and i havent seen it studder yet.

which phone did you have ?

I had two hero's. Both sucked and android lagged like crazy. I've even seen the evo lag when doing simple things like scrolling through people lists when you have a large (200+ contacts) list.

The evo is a great phone though, I just didn't like android, especially on the hero.

you gotta get that evo4g
but you do have to pay 10 dollars extra for it even if you don't have 4g in your area
oh wells

I looked at the EVO at the sprint store since I had to get some chargers for our blackberry's and wow thats alot of phone. Since the sprint website doesnt list the MP rating of the camera I was worried it was gunna be like 1.3, but it's friggen 8! I couldnt figuer out how to close programs that I had opened while I was there, just minimize and open more, but the phone didnt seem to care how many I had open lol. The internet was alot faster than my blackberry also.

They didnt have any Epic's (they were sold out including the displays) but i tried a few of the phones that had the pull out keyboards and I really didnt like that. It just felt like I was going to break it, and I know I was going to get annoyed really fast constantly rotating my phone sideways every time I wanted to type something.

I have the Epic. You do not even have to open the keyboard to type something but it is nice to use. I don't think you would mind spinning it sideways to type once you got used to it. It would be like second nature.

That being said HTC has much more support in the modding community. When I bought the Epic I was told that before the end of the month we would have Froyo out on it. That is the latest release of the Android OS. It is widely known that Froyo is much faster than Eclair. The version on Samsung Galaxy S phones. Even with 2.1 OS this phone is really smooth and fast. When it gets 2.2 I think it will make the EVO guys look twice at it. I also liked the fact that this phone has different versions of itself but basically the same hardware on all the major cell networks. I hoped that this would spawn a bunch of mods since they did not have to come up with something different for each phone. I have not seen this yet but remember the phone is only one month old at this point in time.

I had two hero's. Both sucked and android lagged like crazy. I've even seen the evo lag when doing simple things like scrolling through people lists when you have a large (200+ contacts) list.

The evo is a great phone though, I just didn't like android, especially on the hero.

the hero was the start of it. Android has matured so much especially the evo since then

How do you get swype on the evo? I have one and feel like I could be getting more out of it

When I bought the Epic I was told that before the end of the month we would have Froyo out on it. That is the latest release of the Android OS. It is widely known that Froyo is much faster than Eclair.

#1, by whom? And #2, Froyo isn't that much faster than Eclair outside of benchmarks. It feels a bit snappier, but it's not like it can transform a BMW into a Ferrari.

I might have to wait on this. I talked to the guy at the sprint store and he said since I have only had my blackberry for 14 months I am only eligible for a $75 discount off the full price, even if I did a 2 year renewal and I am not eligible for the mail in rebates or the prices from ordering it online.

On top of that, for them to fix my current BB, I have to give it up for 7-10 days and just go without a phone during that time. I have actually really liked sprint's service up to this point...

You must be going to a third party store. Go to a sprint corporate store and you'll ber without a phone for a few hours. If they can't fix it, they'll replace it for you within 2 days.

Back