Best Sprint LTE Phone?

Ashton

2[H]4U
I'm starting to look for a new LTE phone. My 3G service took yet another hit (I'm now averaging 20-60kbps with spikes of 100kbps on my old phone, on my iPhone5 I'm only getting upto ~500kbps) So I'm looking at buying a new phone come Jan. since sprint claims LTE will be here then.

(I'm sure some of you are asking "why are you buying a new phone when you have an iPhone5?" --- simple, because I need features that are only available on iphone via Jailbreak and I'm seeing people saying "there will be no iPhone5 Jailbreak, the security is too tight" so I'm looking at android again --- and I'm not going down to an iphone 4S because I want LTE, it seems to be the only hope of good data speed on sprint now)

What are some of the best LTE phones available for sprint, I'm looking at the EVO LTE (loved my EVO 4G --- except the battery life), the Samsung Galaxy 3, and looking at the new Note (nice large screen for watching movies) Though if there's one that stands above all the rest I'm certainly interested...

Keep in mind I'm buying this unsubsidised so cost is certainly an issue, and secondly is battery life. Bluetooth 4.0 would be nice but not important. No need for a HW Keyboard.

MUST BE ROOT-ABLE

You must get the Galaxy Note II :)

Edit: Sprint GNII owners, including myself, are already running 4.1.2 thanks to sextape over @ XDA

Currently you would have just two choices: LG Optimus G or the Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

I would pick the Note II, and the primary reason for that is out of the box battery life. The Optimus G is definitely the better overall device of the two, but my experience with android phones has always been plagued with terrible battery life. If Motorola releases a Droid RAZR MAX HD equivalent on Sprint, I would probably pick that over both of these for its battery advantage.

P.S. The Note II is probably the most fun device in the market today.

I'm going to vote Note 2 too. I'm going to get mine on Verizon for Christmas :D. Coming from a Gnex that I'm happy with other than battery life. It will be nice to have a device to take notes on for work since I always have a crapload of stickies on my desk all the time.. Hopefully the Note will eliminate that :cool:.

Hey Ashton, I know you're on Sprint because of that SERO plan so you're on the cheap, but other than price, why are you still with Sprint? Seriously, get an unlocked device and go Straight Talk or Net10 already. You'd probably be a lot happier, and see about 5mb/s.

Hey Ashton, I know you're on Sprint because of that SERO plan so you're on the cheap, but other than price, why are you still with Sprint? Seriously, get an unlocked device and go Straight Talk or Net10 already. You'd probably be a lot happier, and see about 5mb/s.

Purely because of my unlimited data for $30/$50 month, otherwise I would consider it... I've heard a lot of troubling things about prepaid plans not giving you but 1gb or something of data a month and I use around 3gb upto 10gb, depending on how much I'm traveling (streaming video) my highest useage was, I think 14gb in one month... If it wasnt for the insanely-cheap unlimited data, I would go elsewhere, I was MUCH happier with AT&T's speed (HSPA+) and with verizon's coverage (1 bar where sprint has zero) I just wont want to let go of my unlimited data plan and end up having to come back a year or three later at $20 more ($70/month)

Evo 4G LTE.
BTW, here are the current prices on Amazon:
HTC Evo 4G LTE: $0.01
Samsung Galaxy S3: $49.99
LG Optimus G: $99.99
Samsung Galaxy Note 2: $149.99

At those prices, I wouldn't consider the GS3 at all.

The Evo and the GS3 is in the same class of phones. Both are based on the same internal, but HTC added a dedicated image processor which does produce better pictures. The Evo also has a better screen. It does lack in an extra 1 GB of RAM, but that's just marketing for Samsung as having an extra gig didn't help much in real world usage. The GS3 also fails horribly in drop tests; it makes the iPhone 4 look good. The only reason to get the GS3 over the Evo is if you just can't use the phone without having to change your battery.

The Optimus G is definitely the best performing phone of the bunch and it's only $50 more compared to the GS3.

The Galaxy Note 2... the massive battery... second in performance only to the Optimus G. Only $100 more? That's what I would get.

BTW, here are the current prices on Amazon:
HTC Evo 4G LTE: $0.01
Samsung Galaxy S3: $49.99
LG Optimus G: $99.99
Samsung Galaxy Note 2: $149.99

At those prices, I wouldn't consider the GS3 at all.

He said he was buying a non-subsidized phone.

The Galaxy S3 has surprisingly good battery life considering it has a slightly larger screen and faster CPU over the GNex.The only issue I find, is that (presently) using a custom TouchWiz based ROM, is that seemingly out of nowhere apps seem to get stuck in a kind of zombie state and ramp the CPU up to top speed and pin it there sucking down the battery power. Haven't tested with an AOSP ROM long term, because somewhere along the line CM/AOKP broke the BT stack and have been focusing on 4.2 almost exclusively since it went AOSP.

Thanks to everyone for their input, I've decided if there's no JB by January (or if I start traveling more and need it sooner) I'm going to go with the Galaxy Note 2 :)

A little late, but I have a EVO LTE and it has been a great phone. I buy all of my phones non-subsidized, paid ~$420 for this one a week or so after release and it was the best money I've spent on a phone. I usually replace every 6-8 months but I could see myself keeping this one much longer unless something earth shattering is released.
JB was released on it a day or two ago also.

My friend told me that the Evo 4G LTE has the WiFi death grip problem which means that the WiFi doesn't work sometimes. This is a real deal breaker for me. I couldn't stand the HTC Sensation because it had poor antenna build quality and the WiFi death grip crap.

A little late, but I have a EVO LTE and it has been a great phone. I buy all of my phones non-subsidized, paid ~$420 for this one a week or so after release and it was the best money I've spent on a phone. I usually replace every 6-8 months but I could see myself keeping this one much longer unless something earth shattering is released.
JB was released on it a day or two ago also.

lol at first sight, I also thought OP meant Jellybean in their last post, but I think they may have meant jailbreak.

Back