Best Sound Card?

michaeld1029

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, im intrested in a new sound card. I have seen a few people say the creatives x-fi xtreme music was the best for Online Gaming. Then I have seen other people say the XtremeGamer edition was even better. Whats the best sound card for gaming at the moment, and why is one better than the other?

I have been using a sound blaster audigy (original) for a few years now and its time for a upgrade. Thanks for any help.

*Edit*

I forgot to mention I use a pair of Platronics 350's Platronics Website Nothing specialy just a 30$ pair of headphones. Should I look at getting something better for gaming? Whats better , Open or Closed eared headsets? I do alot of lan tournaments so its pretty noisy and being able to hear the game I am trying to play and my teammates on voice coms is very important.

I think people say the 'Xtreme Gamer' is better only because:

A) It's cheaper

B) It has 'front panel audio' connectors that let you plug your case's front panel jacks (presuming they follow Intel's "Azalia" HD Audio standard) into the card. No other Creative card lets you do this.

There really isn't anything about the card itself that differs in games or anything. Same chip, same DACs, etc.

I have an X-Fi Xtrememusic and I love it. I also record with it (guitar) and it works well for a consumer card. For games, it's amazing. I'm afraid of what it will become in Vista though. :(

The Auzentech Prelude will be the best sound card in a little while. It uses creatives eax 5.0 chip. The card uses higher quality transistors and capacitors, so it will have a much higher sounding quality(If you have high end headset/speakers to go with it).

yep they are easy to install, and most go into the pci slot. I haven't seen any pcie cards, but I havent been looking either.

The Auzentech Prelude will be the best sound card in a little while. It uses creatives eax 5.0 chip. The card uses higher quality transistors and capacitors, so it will have a much higher sounding quality(If you have high end headset/speakers to go with it).

Cheers. Scheduled to come out just before my next wages go through, and i've been looking at new sound cards.

Back