Best software(s) for ripping music CDs?

ds-

Gawd
Whats the best software to use to rip music CDs to mp3s with minimal quality loss? What settings to use etc.

As for ease of use. I use FreeRip and it works really well. Checks freedb and tags/names the music.

Can rip into mp3, ogg, and wav.

i use musicmatch jukebox for all of mine and usually set VBR as the quality...however, i've been burning CD's at 160kb WMA for the past couple of weeks...(btw, musicmatch sells 160kb WMAs versus Napsters 128kb....trust me, i know the difference)

cheers,

dave

Exact Audio Copy is best, but it requires configuring on your part that is more intensive than other rippers. Another one is CDex. It gives good rips with a minimum of hassle. Then there is Audiograbber. It works well, too.

You will need to download a codec, either Lame or Ogg Vorbis.

All of this stuff is free.

To the second part of your question...

I like Ogg Vorbis with a high, but variable bitrate. There are some lossless ways, too. I think Ogg will give you good as you would ever want, however. Otherwise, you could just save wave files, especially considering how cheap large hard drives are these days.

^ EAC + Lame is what Ive used more often than not (CDs)
though I may be using Audiograbber for importing my cassette collection per advise I got from mosin ;)

and odoe is a big Ogg Vorbis fan

and many on the board employ CDex, EAC has just been around longer I think

I use Easy CD-DA Extractor 4.5.0. It is the best one I have ever used, but not free.

I tried EAC + Lame, but after ripping it my music files, they were all 800KB for some reason, and when playing the songs, there was nothing.

I followed the guide here.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong

If you want the best, EAC + LAME for MP3s.

ds-, do the WAVs come out fine? I ran into the same problem before, and it was because I gave the wrong tagging information to EAC for labelling the output mp3 files.

BillLeeLee said:
If you want the best, EAC + LAME for MP3s.

ds-, do the WAVs come out fine? I ran into the same problem before, and it was because I gave the wrong tagging information to EAC for labelling the output mp3 files.

I made them come out as MP3 files from the CD after ripping. I made the tagging like this:
<track number> - <song title>

but the came out as "Track01, Track02..."

CDex's file naming works great and is very customizable. Auto CDDB tagging info for you to.

For ease of use, I would assume iTunes and Musicmatch are good.

So which is better if one is better than the other. iTunes vs Musicmatch

I again say iTunes.
It not only rips CDs well, it burns them very well, too.
I vote iTunes for everything because I find it to be the best ripper/burner and organizer I've ever used. And, it's absolutely and totally free.
MusicMatch requires you to buy MusicMatch Plus to get added features. To my knowledge, these features are already included in iTunes.

EAC + Lame for keeping songs on your hdd if you have thousands of MP3's and/or small disc space, but I prefer using EAC + Monkey Audio for lossless compression. The files usually get reduced to around 2/3 of their original size (depending on the type of music), but can always be converted back to the exact WAV file they came from. There's not much support for the APE format, but since Winamp works fine for me, I use the Monkey Audio plugin for it. I'm not sure about burning abilities since I use other software for that (which does other duties I need besides music), but EAC, Lame, and Monkey Audio is all free.

ds- said:
For ease of use, I would assume iTunes and Musicmatch are good.

So which is better if one is better than the other. iTunes vs Musicmatch

For ease of use I think FreeRip is as good if not better and has none of the "bloat" so to speak.

Back