best software NVR for hikvision

ltickett

[H]ard|Gawd
tried blue iris and i must be missing something but it's basic beyond beleif

i'm moving from a ubiquiti setup and their nvr is really nice so I may struggle to find something to replace it

synology maybe? I have a client that uses that with hikvision cams, works pretty well.

That dave99, i'll have to give it another try. I wasn't wowed when I tested it, but only gave it a couple of minutes. Do they use it remotely? With mobile devices?

Nate7311, can you tell me any more? Do you use the client or the webserver? Do you access using a laptop or mobile device?

That dave99, i'll have to give it another try. I wasn't wowed when I tested it, but only gave it a couple of minutes. Do they use it remotely? With mobile devices?

Nate7311, can you tell me any more? Do you use the client or the webserver? Do you access using a laptop or mobile device?

Yes :) The big thing that I've seen issues with is a programmed circuit of waypoints and PTZ cams. Other than that it's worked well.

I think we tested remote access, and it worked ok, however it's not used regularly. In general it's untouched unless they need a recording.

Nate, could you possibly post a screenshot or 2 of the web interface? What i'm seeing is very minimal and looks like something from the 90's :)

Can try Milestone.. they have a home/demo version.. has some limitations but its decent..

Nate, could you possibly post a screenshot or 2 of the web interface? What i'm seeing is very minimal and looks like something from the 90's :)

Thats the negative with blueiris. It really is more of a PC application that has minimal GUI. That said, that is really the only con along with a bit of a CPU hog for motion detection (but it is good motion detection). The functionality is top notch and almost overwhelming how much tweaking you can do if you want (though easy to setup out of the box as well).

I run BlueIRIS for myself and few clients. The best clients are the native mobile apps for iPad/iPhone/Android. They make it easy to live view and see recorded clips. If you have been using Ubiquiti, then you are not used to a full function timeline view anyways so blueiris will be very similar.

That said, if it is a larger install, I much prefer ACTi Cameras and their included NVR software.

Umm surprised no one has suggested the HIKVision iVMS software. Works great and its free!

One other note is that it is lightweight since it uses the motion detection in the cameras.

I thought it was god awful. Quite the opposite to lightweight and again, the web interface looked like something from the 90's with the need to download/install plugins. No good for mobile devices etc.

You can use zone minder if you want, that is all the ubiquiti software is based on.

i'm about to take the plunge on synology licenses, but still find myself unconvinced. the massive feature that seems to be lacking with all the solutions i've looked at (including the synology) is the web frontend (only running in IE with nasty plugin requirements). really would love to use the hikvision cams with the UBNT NVR.

So I bought 8 licenses for Synology. Rather disappointed so far as it's using 100% CPU on my desktop when in live view with only 5 cameras.

BlueIris looks dreadful. Literally looks like something out of the 80's. I guess if it works maybe it's worth putting up with...

Like I stated before.... The HIKVision NVR software and iOS app work great.

Why make it more complicated than it needs to be?

No problems with Blue Iris and Hikvision here. Sounds more displeased with the way the interface looks, rather than the functionality. But as someone who has to use it weekly to review footage and give to the police it has worked wonders.

I use blue iris on mine but with 3 hd cams it uses 27% cpu on an i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz.. going to move it to an alternate box building with an i7 4790k so I can offload some cpu usage from my main pc.. Not sure how it will work when blue iris is on another pc but I like viewing/using app from my main pc

I was planning on running blue iris on my dual quad core rack box but since reading this it sounds like blue iris is a resource hog... is this a situation where blue iris benefits more from MORE cores over faster ones?

Zone Minder looks dead (last update 2013?)

go to download page: http://www.zoneminder.com/downloads
ZoneMinder Stable Releases
Release 1.28.1 February 14th, 2015 DOWNLOAD ALT Change Notes Minor release focusing on RTSP improvements.
Release 1.28.0 October 18th, 2014 DOWNLOAD ALT Change Notes Major release focusing on change to PDO mysql php library and systemd support.

Zoneminder does not look dead :p

I am using 1.28.1 under Centos 7.X running in VM on Proxmox :D.

1 release a year isn't exactly "active" but I guess dead wasn't strictly accurate

I may give it a try at some point. I actually had a response from synology regarding the CPU bugs and have managed to improve things a little by changing the resolution for live view but still not overly happy.

1 release a year isn't exactly "active" but I guess dead wasn't strictly accurate

I may give it a try at some point. I actually had a response from synology regarding the CPU bugs and have managed to improve things a little by changing the resolution for live view but still not overly happy.

why?
nothing to fixes, since bugs mostly got squashed.
I honestly touch some configuration to satisfy my needs
Zoneminder is very stable on my experience

if you go to zoneminder forum. mosth the issue are upgrading and configuration.

zoneminder has many configuration.
this took a week of my time to figure out my needs from forum and search on the net.

just a warning, zoneminder is not plug and play, you need to know what your need and what configurations are requred.

luckily, zoneminder wiki would help you to configure. the disadvantage is: you need time to understand.

for android phone, I am using zm view

I believe, next release, Zoneminder has to focus on GUI interfaces :p.

ZoneMinder is written in perl multithread :D, more processsors would help for recording and detection for many cameras..

Back