Best software for IP cameras?

WangChung

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to build my own home security camera system. I've heard different things about iSpy and ZoneMinder, though more positive about iSpy. I definitely like to support Linux when I can even though my skillset isn't nearly as strong as my Windows IT knowledge.

Are there any other strong alternatives besides those two?

I use and like zoneminder. Was easy to setup and has given Me no problems since install 18 months ago.

I looked into this recently and was pretty disappointed by the lot.

The Ubiquiti Unifi Video software is great but will only work with their cameras as far as i'm aware.

I ended up settling on Synology Surveillance Station. It's not free and requires Synology hardware to run too, but I already have one of their NAS devices, so works well.

BlueIRIS is the ultimate when it comes to software for IP cameras, but the program is difficult to use for many. I feel like you need a CS degree just to set it up properly.

BlueIRIS is the ultimate when it comes to software for IP cameras, but the program is difficult to use for many. I feel like you need a CS degree just to set it up properly.

What algorithm in the software is giving you difficulty?

I have deployed several BlueIris setups and so far so good.

BUT, disable the auto update feature.

the software on the synology NAS is pretty nice... have a couple cams running on an xpenology box that seems to work quite well

blur iris for windows lover
zoneminder for linux huger

has been running zoneminder in VM since last year with 6 Cameras. pretty solid!
some wifi camera would randomly disconnect. my suggestion: stay away with wifi model...

the software on the synology NAS is pretty nice... have a couple cams running on an xpenology box that seems to work quite well

do you have to pay $$ if you use xpenology & cams like you do on a 'branded' synology unit?
I have a 5 bay synology and really like the interface but I'm not paying per-cam to add them, running xpenology in a vm + cam that cost 0$ may be useful to compare.

We use Blue Iris at work and it works nice, but downside is it uses ActiveX, so you can only view it from within Windows.

do you have to pay $$ if you use xpenology & cams like you do on a 'branded' synology unit?
I have a 5 bay synology and really like the interface but I'm not paying per-cam to add them, running xpenology in a vm + cam that cost 0$ may be useful to compare.

Isn't Xpenology just piracyof Synology's firmware to begin with?

It origined as a hack and I'm not sure it's "just" the pure version of the GPL(ed) source.

Isn't Xpenology just piracyof Synology's firmware to begin with?

No.

Synology release gpl source code . and xpenology team managed to compile and running aka bootingsynology dsm.
Major dsm have been release in gpl but with no support.

If this is piracy. Synology already pursued legal matter..

Actually, xpenology help synology sales since many customer with money would try xpenology and move to buy synology nas with support.

blueiris.

The GUI is not the prettiest, and it can be a bit to tweak the setup, but the nice thing is you can tweak it. So many other NVRs you want something and just cannot do it, blue iris gives so many options it is overwhelming.

no, xpenology is not piracy

synology does charge you $50/cam for surveillance though... first two cams are free though, so they give you enough to try it out, i think it's probably worth it

no, xpenology is not piracy

synology does charge you $50/cam for surveillance though... first two cams are free though, so they give you enough to try it out, i think it's probably worth it

Do you have to pay for this if you use Xpenology for Cameras though?

Or is it part of xpenology open source?

Trying to figure that out still :D

Wow, LOTS of support for BlueIris...

Do they have a good mobile app?

well, you should search on many security camera forums
blue iris is the top one on features and takes time to learn utilizing their features

I really recommends blue iris for windows environment
or
zoneminder (many features and tweaks) for linux environmet

this the blue iris android apps (very solid on my understand) -> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blueirissoftware.blueiris&hl=en

the down side is... you have to pay blue Iris :D and get their support too.

Zoneminder is free and community support

I suggest you to run in VM, if having beefy hardware (such as, e3, and 4 core minimally)

We tried Blue Iris... was pretty good.

We liked Sighthound more for our specific application.

BlueIris, what??? yeah no... sorry guys, but this is my field of expertise...

let me get this right, you have IP cameras and want software for recording the feeds right?

SentryVMS (aka Video Insight) - www.ipvideocorp.com
Milestone

Those are what I sell. SentryVMS will run you around $100/license for the cameras
Milestone is about the same, maybe $150/license depending on which model you want.

OTHER systems you can look at:

Exacq
Avigilon (i like their playback/interface, but they charge you for REMOTE viewing software/server)

SentryVMS/Video Insight (we rebrand Video Insight as SentryVMS where I work, it's our own rebranded product) has one part # really, the VMS license. That's it. You get everything in it.

I use it at home, we use it for all our customers, schools, government, airports, etc...

So i'd look at those options. Not this BlueIris crap

let me get this right, you have IP cameras and want software for recording the feeds right?

Milestone

Those are what I sell. SentryVMS will run you around $100/license for the cameras
Milestone is about the same, maybe $150/license depending on which model you want.

Exacq
Avigilon (i like their playback/interface, but they charge you for REMOTE viewing software/server)

SentryVMS/Video Insight (we rebrand Video Insight as SentryVMS where I work, it's our own rebranded product) has one part # really, the VMS license. That's it. You get everything in it.

I use it at home, we use it for all our customers, schools, government, airports, etc...

So what do those offer that blueiris doesn't for the $50 or so I spent on Blue Iris and the Blue Iris app?

Just setup a 9 cam blue iris system for work (with hikvision cams). For the price, it seems to be a pretty good value.

Just setup a 9 cam blue iris system for work (with hikvision cams). For the price, it seems to be a pretty good value.

yes inded, $50 is perfect for windows app..
I will not pay more than more with crap.. bla2 feature marketing gimmick :p

but...

I am running Zoneminder since late 2014 and love ZM, free and no license crap tha someone try to promote.
well.. ZM running in VM actually. ts140 with e3

Milestone

Exacq

Wow, I hope you're doing installs not sales for your employer :p

How about you explain why it's better than Blue Iris, and how much experience you have with Blue Iris compared to what you sell and use... and you know, maybe... just maybe... tell us WHY it's better.

Do you have to pay for this if you use Xpenology for Cameras though?

Or is it part of xpenology open source?

Trying to figure that out still :D

no, surveillance station is not open source... after 2 free cams, you gotta pay the $50/cam

Wow, I hope you're doing installs not sales for your employer :p

How about you explain why it's better than Blue Iris, and how much experience you have with Blue Iris compared to what you sell and use... and you know, maybe... just maybe... tell us WHY it's better.

I am still waiting for a response fromhim myself.

I've been going through all these, and it seems h265 isn't really supported by a whole lot yet a lot of new cameras are coming out supporting it. Is it something I should be looking for?

I'm not seeing anything specific that SentryVMS does over BlueIris, though I will admit their company website is a little more refined.

Back