Best SNES RPG of All time.

Isaacav2

[H]ard|Gawd
The best RPG's ever made are STILL on the SNES imho. What are your favorites in order?

1) Secret of Mana
2) Legend of Zelda (almost a tie for first)
3) Super Mario RPG
4) Final Fantasy 6 ( 3 u.s.)
5) Chrono Trigger
6) Final Fantasy 4 ( 2 u.s.)
7) Final Fantasy 5 (Japan)
8) Tales of Phantasia (Japan)
9) Star Ocean (Japan)
10) Lufia 2

11) Illusion of Gia

... I never played any of the Dragon Quest series, too much text. Honorable mentions are the 7th saga, Terrinigma, Secret of Evermore etc.

1.) Chrono Trigger
2.) FFIV
3.) Secret Of Mana
4.) FFVI

..and that's pretty much all I played. I don't count Zelda as an RPG but if I did, I would rank it #2. I think that Super Mario RPG is creative but I just have never been able to play more than a few hours in.

Top Five:

1. Earthbound
2. Chrono Trigger
3. FF6
4. Zelda: Link to the Past
5. Secret of Mana

1.) Secret of Mana
2.) Breath of Fire 2
3.) Chrono Trigger
4.) Final Fantasy 3
5.) Final Fantasy 2 (long, sometimes boring, but good)
6.) 7th Saga (horns man rules!!)

It's good to know someone who actually liked Secret of Mana.. it's awesome because you can have up to 3 people playing it (with multi-tap), plus the story line is awesome.

I'm suprised only one other person mentioned 7th Saga.
I too liked playing as the Demon. I mean, it was a good RPG. GOod story. You could play through it with 7 difference characters and different outcomes each time.

FF was also good, of course

earthbound, earthbound, earthbound
chrono trigger
super mario rpg
lufia 1 & 2
ff6 and ff4
secret of mana

zelda was awesome, but i don't put it in with rpg's

Chrono Trigger FTW!

I'm playing Chrono Trigger right now on my PSP... awesome game!

Nintendo should really come out with a portable that can play SNES games (DS2 perhaps?), and make them downloadable easily... not too many people are willing to sit in front of their big TV and play 16-bit titles any more... but i think lots of people would play them on the road. And a whole new generation could be introduced to brilliant games like Chrono Trigger of FFIII.

Secret of Mana
Final Fantasy 2
Final Fantasy 3
Legend of Zelda
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy: mystic quest
Illusion of Giai

Earthbound all the way. I can never figure out why they haven't made more games like it. Followed closely by Chrono Trigger.

TheTyrant said:
Secret of Mana
Final Fantasy 2
Final Fantasy 3
Legend of Zelda
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy: mystic quest
Illusion of Giai

LOL like you actually liked Mystic Quest LOL Square USA for ya.

ZELDA: A LINK TO THE PAST

This game was so far ahead of it's time it's crazy!

I loved Zelda and all but how do you consider it an RPG? I'd say its more of an action/adventure.

Final Fantasy 6 is the pinnicale of videogaming as far as I'm concerned. If Ebert says videogames aren't art then he never played Final Fantasy 6. The story and storytelling in this game far suprasses anything else that has been made.

Killdozer said:
Final Fantasy 6 is the pinnicale of videogaming as far as I'm concerned. If Ebert says videogames aren't art then he never played Final Fantasy 6. The story and storytelling in this game far suprasses anything else that has been made.

Emmmmm.... EEEhhhhhhh... errrr... oK I'll give you that one. Magic + Industrial/Steam power FTW!

I'm not big on RPGs... but I enjoyed Legend of Zelda and Secret of Mana so those are my picks. I'm not big on turn-based fighting so I think that's why I like 'em.

Chrono Trigger, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Trigger.

Actually, Super Mario RPG is really good too - first RPG I ever played. :)
Wow... that was 10 years ago... :eek:

Hah remember when Chrono Trigger was like $70 cuz it was the hugest SNES cartridge out there? But it was worth it, good god.

Listening to the soundtrack gives me chills.

Mav451 said:
Hah remember when Chrono Trigger was like $70 cuz it was the hugest SNES cartridge out there? But it was worth it, good god.

CT on EBay

Here it is for 50. Wow, prices really have gone down, I sold my copy about 7 years back without the box, instructions or anything and got 50 bucks for it. Guess the PS rerelease brought it down eh?

My vote goes to FF4 btw. FF6 was great, but the second half of the game was a little aimless at times.

-wil

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
pigwalk said:
My vote goes to FF4 btw. FF6 was great, but the second half of the game was a little aimless at times.

-wil

i felt the same way as you regarding ff6. the world of balance was a really good game, but the world of ruin made it feel less "tight". not nearly as enjoyable, except for the last board and the fight with kefka. also, i wish they would have had a few less characters, so they could have focused on each one better. i think ff4 did a better job of having main characters, and other characters that were good but clearly did not get the same focus. this is not to say that ff6 was a bad game; it was actually great.

my list has:

the two lufia games (the first one had my favorite story ever, great characters, and great interaction between them. i think the second was the better game in other aspects, and i loved the puzzles in it)

secret of mana and it's sequel seiken densetsu III. i thought it was awesome that a company found a way to make a multi player rpg and have it be really good.

ff4
ff6
chrono trigger
zelda: a link to the past - questionable as an rpg, more of an action/adventure game with puzzles. tough call, as it straddles the line.
earthbound
ffmq (yes, i actually liked mq as well. could be because it was the first rpg i ever played, so it didn't seem simplistic compared to it's more complex brethren)
super mario rpg (bowser and mario fighting together?!)
tales of phantasia

if zelda is an rpg, is super metroid also? it has alot of the elements of an rpg, just as zelda does.

these games are not in any particular order, as it depends on what your priority is. lufia was my favorite story, but gameplay fun goes to secret of mana. ff series had the best magic. really they were all incredible games, and i'm sorry to see some of today's games relying on flash and 3d and barely dressed women instead of actually having a really solid game.

Back