Best Smartphone for Verizon and rooting

Bohica69

Gawd
So I'm due for an upgrade, and currently have the Droid Charge. If I had a choice I would get a Nexus 4 and be done with it, but since I can't get that on Verizon, that's not a choice.

I'm going to root it, and install a stock Android on it, preferably 4.2 - I'm also considering buying one outright, and not renewing the contract. Haven't been following things, so what's the best choice, and why?

If you got a suggestion on where to buy I'm all ears.

I'd go with the Note 2, the upcoming S4 or the Razr HD/HDMaxx
Edit: Forgot the why part...

The Note2, if you can tolerate the size, is probably the best phone on the market right now. Ask anyone who doesn't mind a big phone, and they'll agree.

The S4, if you can wait a month will have a ton of development, and basically be a smaller Note2 with a better screen (Hopefully).

The Razr HD/HD Maxx is just incredible. I think the pentile screen complaints are overblown, but the build quality and the dimensions just can't be beat.

All of these have AOSP android available for it in some form, except for the S4, which will have it soon after release. Be it pure AOSP, Cyanogenmod, AOKP, Paranoid Android... You should be well covered.

Last edited:
Wait for the GS4. It's going to be the top Android phone when it's released in April. The Razr Maxx HD is an excellent phone, but unless things have changed, Motorola locks its bootloaders which prevents rooting. However, I've not had an Android in a couple of years, so my knowledge isn't up to date.

I'd stay away from the razr. I was thinking about getting the maxx for the battery life but the software is piss poor, the phone is choppy. I ended up getting the note ii. the battery life is great. I usually charge every other day, and get about 4 hours screen time out of it in those two days. I have gotten over 7 hours of screen time in one day as well on it. Only thing is if you use a stock rom you will lose the ability to use the pen, you can use a touch wiz based rom and still use the pen.

I'm not sure how soon the s4 will be out on verizon since they seem to be behind sometimes on releases like this. I would personally want to see how the battery life is with the 1080p screen before I jump. After having a note ii and coming from a galaxy nexus (which sucked juice like no other) I can't give up 2 day battery life.

Back