Best smartphone for senior/first time user?

haste

Supreme [H]ardness
My grandmother-in-law wants a smartphone. I assume so she can see pictures from her grandchildren and take photos herself. She is almost blind in one eye but can see great out of the other. She is 86 yrs old but still sharp as a tack.

I assume a phone with a larger screen would be the way to go but I worry about the size and how well she would be able to hold it while using it.

I haven't used an Android or Iphone OS in a loooong time so I don't know which one would be easier for her to use.

Any suggestions?

I get this question all the time at work. The answer is always an iPhone. The accessibility options are easy to use and the rigidity of the OS makes it easier to tell them how to use the thing. Plus once they get one thing everything else is a similar experience so learning it is easier.

Reactions: haste
like this
I get this question all the time at work. The answer is always an iPhone. The accessibility options are easy to use and the rigidity of the OS makes it easier to tell them how to use the thing. Plus once they get one thing everything else is a similar experience so learning it is easier.

Thanks for the response.

I was leaning towards iPhone for ease of use. The major issue I have is which model. I wasn't told what the budget was but I am sure that is a consideration. I haven't been keeping up with all these new phones lately. I am still using my Nokia Lumia Black...

You think the accessibility options are better on the iPhone than on Android phones?

Thanks for the response.

I was leaning towards iPhone for ease of use. The major issue I have is which model. I wasn't told what the budget was but I am sure that is a consideration. I haven't been keeping up with all these new phones lately. I am still using my Nokia Lumia Black...

You think the accessibility options are better on the iPhone than on Android phones?

Apple is pretty far ahead in terms of accessibility, in my experience. You can set an easler-to-see home screen view from the start; it's easy to change the default text size and have it apply across many apps; and if vision is a particular problem, you can enable zooming on specific areas. Doesn't sound like you'll need to go that far, but it's good to know it's there.

If budget is a concern, I'd say go with a 6s or 7 (a Plus variant of either if she's okay with a larger screen), both of which are available new. And definitely get a case -- they're slippery devices, especially the Plus models.

I got my father a Huawei Honor 6X and its easy mode is basically made for seniors. Super simple and intuitive with large text.

Back