Best smarthphone for ATT?

Nosenuggets45

Limp Gawd
It's time for my upgrade and I have $250 worth of upgrade cash. I do not want an iPhone, so don't recommend it. I was really interested in the HTC Fuze but after testing it at ATT's store, it seems incredibly laggy and unresponsive which is one of my WinMo fears. Lastly, I don't get data plans so that is why I want wifi on my phone. What would you suggest to me?

I currently have the Blackjack 2 but I am really not liking WinMo. I've been pretty much stuck on the BB Cure 8900 and HTC Fuze. With a custom rom, would the HTC win?

Last edited:
Blackberry addict here but that might be different if I didn't work for a company with a Blackberry Enterprise Server. It's nice to have Outlook linked with my phone and all of my data backed up and transferable at a moments notice.

The Fuze is fixable. There are registry hacks out there that fix it. I helped a co-worker speed his up. The only thing about the Fuze I didn't like is the dongle required in order to use headphones.

You obviously know about the ROMS, so I'd go Fuze if I were in your shoes.

Well outlook and email don't mean anything to me. The thing I really liked about the 8900 was how snappy and quick the UI was compared to the stock Fuze. Does some tweaking make them comparable speed wise?

I don't believe there's a better wi-fi only smartphone than the BB 8900. If 3G might be important to you (if not now then down the road) the Bold would be the way to go. I write as a Blackberry user since 2005 who's going to jump to the HTC Hero.

Any US version of the HTC devices with a SIM card slot will work. (tri/quad band GSM)

Their phones are pretty solid, and there's dozens of custom roms and hundreds of programs out there for them. If you tried any of the Windows Mobile 6.5 ROMs, you'd probably be pretty impressed. It basically makes the phone feel 2x faster with very little lag. The feature set that HTC phones offer is very robust. They usually have a fairly quick processor, plenty of RAM, expansion slot for MicroSD cards up to 32GB, 3MP+ cameras with autofocus, bluetooth with stereo support, true GPS that can run independent of internet/tower assistance, tactile keyboard, wi-fi, 3g, etc. From what their future products that are coming out look like (both Andriod and WM based phones), they will be keeping me a customer for quite some time to come.

Here's a little preview of WM6.5 running on my AT&T Tilt (HTC 8925). It's going to have pretty much the same feel on other HTC phones. (by the way, I don't subscribe to a data plan, I only use Wi-Fi.)

I'm really having a hard time here. I like the customization of the HTC but I'm still weary about using WinMo again, especially seeing how slow the demo model was. Also, I don't know if I will feel comfortable with that huge brick in my pocket. Lastly, the 8900 is going to be free for me while I'll have to pay $50 for the HTC. I really can't decide yet.

That's what I'm thinking. I don't think its worth having to pay for a phone then tweak it and stuff to make it perform as fast as the phone I can get for free. I think I've made my decision.

Nokia E63/E71. AT&T doesn't consider them smartphones, so you only pay $15 a month for data (vs. $30 or more with an AT&T branded phone) and they have tethering out of the box. It's not a touch screen phone though, if that's what you wanted.

Sticking to your "Best Smartphone for AT&T", my vote goes for the BB Bold & iPhone. I'm not a big fan of WinMo.

iPhone is out of the question because I'm only 16 and I'm on my parents plan. They aren't willing to pay for monthly data plans. Otherwise, I'd get the iPhone. The goal here is to get a phone for minimal to 0 $$$ and to not increase the monthly $$$ any further. So the Curve isn't free actually, its more like $100 on my part. I now have to re evaluate my choices. Here are my choices:
Nokia e71x
LG Vu
Samsung Impression
Pantech Matrix

I tried the Nokia E71x a few weeks ago. I don't think you can get it without a data plan.

iPhone is out of the question because I'm only 16 and I'm on my parents plan. They aren't willing to pay for monthly data plans. Otherwise, I'd get the iPhone. The goal here is to get a phone for minimal to 0 $$$ and to not increase the monthly $$$ any further. So the Curve isn't free actually, its more like $100 on my part. I now have to re evaluate my choices. Here are my choices:
Nokia e71x
LG Vu
Samsung Impression
Pantech Matrix

So you don't want a smart phone then. Smart phones need data plans to be useful.

My wife has the Vu, it is a nice phone.

So you don't want a smart phone then. Smart phones need data plans to be useful.

Not only do they need data plans, they are required by every carrier. That narrows the op's choices to the Samsung, LG variety. These certainly are not the best "smartphones" AT&T has to offer.

I really want the iPhone but I can't get a $30 data plan by my parents.

Well then a dumb phone and an iPod Touch are what you need.

I have the iPod Touch but I like the idea of it combined with a phone + connected to the internet anywhere I am. It gets annoying having an iPod Touch in one pocket then my phone in the other. I may just stick with my Blackjack 2 unless my parents decide to go with a data plan. Then I can sell my iPod Touch and get an iPhone.

E71x and E71 are two different phones, not a locked/unlocked version of single phone.
They are and they aren't. My brother has the E71x (2 year contract with no data plan) and I have an E71. The E71x has FP2 of the S60 OS with AT&T bloatware. Besides that, one is black with an AT&T silk screen, has a slightly more tactile keyboard, and seems to take better pictures despite the same hardware, while the other is grey or white with a chrome housing. There are no other physical differences. Mr. Wolf was responding to my post about the E71 by saying that the E71x requires a data plan, and I correctly stated that neither the E71x nor the E71 needed one. The E71 IS the unlocked retail version (or 'equivalent' and not 'version', if that makes you feel better) of the E71x, with other minor differences; I said nothing wrong. You can buy a contract-less E71x from AT&T but you can't use it on other networks, unless you get an unlock code from them.

Last edited:
I just know that when I got the E71x, I was required to select a data plan from AT&T. Of course, I could have gotten an unlocked version for $300+ if I absolutely did not want a data plan. Regardless, I didn't like the E71x and returned it after a couple of weeks.

I just know that when I got the E71x, I was required to select a data plan from AT&T. Of course, I could have gotten an unlocked version for $300+ if I absolutely did not want a data plan. Regardless, I didn't like the E71x and returned it after a couple of weeks.
You only need the data plan if you want to quality for the $50 rebate. Otherwise for $150 and a contract, you didn't need to add a data plan. I just went to AT&T's site, added it the cart, and didn't have to choose a data plan.

Last edited:
You only need the data plan if you want to quality for the $50 rebate. Otherwise for $150 and a contract, you didn't need to add a data plan. I just went to AT&T's site, added it the cart, and didn't have to choose a data plan.
Then AT&T has changed their E71x offerings since I bought the phone back in early June. At that time, there was no rebate ($99 w/2 year contract) and the only way to get the phone without a data plan was to buy it at full price.

Then AT&T has changed their E71x offerings since I bought the phone back in early June. At that time, there was no rebate and the only way to get the phone without a data plan was to buy it at full price.
The mail in rebate (which is actually an account credit, and not a check) has been there since day one:
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/05/04/nokia-e71x-now-available-from-atandt/
It was never $99 without a rebate, I bought one on day one from their website for $188 shipped ($150 and tax from the original $300), but returned it for an E71-2.

Last edited:
The mail in rebate rebate (which is actually an account credit, and not a check) has been there since day one:
http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/05/04/nokia-e71x-now-available-from-atandt/
It was never $99 without a rebate, I bought one on day one from their website for $188 shipped ($150 and tax from the original $300), but returned it for an E71-2.
Well, I guess I could put the rest of my day on hold, drive home, go through my records and pull out the canceled contract, redact my name, address and SSN, scan the document, convert it to a JPG and post it here just to prove you wrong. However, I have far more important and pleasant things to do with my time than waste any more of it with you.

I have the iPod Touch but I like the idea of it combined with a phone + connected to the internet anywhere I am. It gets annoying having an iPod Touch in one pocket then my phone in the other. I may just stick with my Blackjack 2 unless my parents decide to go with a data plan. Then I can sell my iPod Touch and get an iPhone.

So you want to be connected to the internet anywhere you go but you don't want to pay for a data plan? Good luck.

Well ideally, but my parents don't want to pay for the data plan. I'll just stick with my Blackjack 2 for now.

Well, I guess I could put the rest of my day on hold, drive home, go through my records and pull out the canceled contract, redact my name, address and SSN, scan the document, convert it to a JPG and post it here just to prove you wrong. However, I have far more important and pleasant things to do with my time than waste any more of it with you.
Well that would be the only proof of a $99 rebate-less E71x in existence, unless a rep from an AT&T store sold it you for $99 w/ data, foregoing the rebate altogether (and the rude ad hominem doesn't help your argument either). Since according to AT&T's own website, it is $150 without the rebate:
http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-ph...e-details/?device=Nokia+E71x&q_sku=sku3690297
And that obviously hasn't changed since day 1, here is the email I got from AT&T on May 4th saying it was available to buy:

from AT&T Premier <[email protected]>
reply-to [email protected]
to
date Mon, May 4, 2009 at 11:09 AM
subject It's here. The thinnest smartphone.
Images from this sender are always displayed. Don't display from now on.

30016_OIE_Nokia_E71x_Banner_728x301_v3.jpg

Nokia E71x: Power and elegance in a sleek design.

Now only $99.99 after $50 mail-in rebate promotion card.*
Keep your business and personal life organized
3.2 MP camera, high resolution screen and QWERTY keyboard
Simply smart with Wi-Fi access, Symbian S60 3.2 operating system and aGPS capability

If you prefer to purchase without a corporate or student discount, shop now for Nokia E71x.

*Pay $149.99 and after mail-in rebate receive $50 AT&T promotion card. Requires 2-year new service agreement and activation on a qualified Voice Plan of $39.99/mo. or higher plus either (i) a PDA Personal plan with MSC of $30 or higher; (ii) a PDA Enterprise plan with MSC of $40 or higher; or (iii) PDA International plan with MSC of $64.99 or higher.

This is an AT&T promotional email. It was sent to you because you requested we contact you about updates and promotions from AT&T Premier. If you're a customer and want to unsubscribe, click here. If you're not a customer of AT&T click here to unsubscribe.

If you have any questions about how the new AT&T collects, uses and protects your personal information, please visit our Privacy Policy. If you do not wish to receive future emails from AT&T containing information about products or services we think will interest you, please change your preference in the Use of Personal Information section in the Privacy Policy. You may also make your request in writing to this address: AT&T -Premier, 5565 Glenridge Connector, Atlanta, GA 30342.

Offers available to business customers on a qualified agreement ("Business Agreement") and their eligible employees. Offers subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable Business Agreement.

Offer cannot be combined with any other equipment promotion, discount or other offer. FamilyTalk Add-a-Line and Secondary lines are not eligible for discounts. Subject to availability limitations. Sales tax calculated based on price of unactivated equipment. Limited time offer. Requires active service on a qualified AT&T voice and/or data plan. Coverage is subject to transmission, terrain, system, capacity and other limitations. Service may not be accessible at all times. Availability, security, speed of delivery and timeliness of information are not guaranteed. Additional software, associated services or features, hardware and/or network connections may be required and subject to additional terms and conditions.

AT&T Promotion Card: AT&T Promotion Card may only be used in the US and is valid for 120 days after issuance date. The card may be used to pay wireless bills. It is not redeemable for cash and cannot be used for cash withdrawal at ATMs, nor can it be used to purchase gas at automated gas pumps. Complete and mail the Mail-in Rebate form along with the additional requested materials to receive your rebate. Allow 60 days for fulfillment. Card request must be postmarked by 7/21/09 and you must be active on service for a minimum of 30 consecutive days and until the rebate is processed to receive card.

©2009 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T and the AT&T logo are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property.

Last edited:
If you look around you can get a E71 unlocked from Dell right now for around $250 right now, no contract. Not like its that hard to unlock a Nokia, but still, highly recommended.

*EDIT* $252 after 10% off. If you can find or buy some more coupons you can make it even cheaper since the coupon is stack-able. I have an iPhone and I was considering this as a backup.

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/169348

My wife has the Vu, it is a nice phone.

I never understood why people say that Smart Phones aren't useful without a dataplan. A dataplan is a nice feature to add, but it's not necessary to take advantage of most of the features of a Smartphone. I have a dataplan, and it's great to have, but not a requirement to have a useful smartphone.

I have the AT&T Fuze right now. Good little phone, I have the custom EnergyROM 3.0 (found at XDA-Developers) on it and have had very good luck. A bigger screen would be a nice addition, I'm awaiting the arrival of the Touch Pro 2 or a US compatible replacement to the Touch HD.

A smartphone without a network connection to the outside world isn't so smart anymore.

Unless you have wifi in your home and at work and can make due with that. Personally I'd still go with 3g as I want to use it while on the move.

In my case, I'm a full-time student so I don't have enough money to pay for a data plan but I still want one device that acts as a phone/PDA. Since I'm on campus a lot, I can just use the free Wi-Fi.

get the blackberry and sell it and the ipod touch. should clear EASY 550.00 for both. With the cash from it and the 250.00 you already have get your self an iPhone 3g. The go for 350.00 - 400.00 brand new without a contract. or 200.00 - 300.00 used on eBay but in excelent condition and still under warranty. You just use redsn0w to jailbreak and unlock it then pop in your sim. Windows Mobile is no were NEAR as user friendly as the iPhone OS. You already have a Winmo phone and don't like it, none of the new ones are any better. They may have a fancier UI up front but the meat of the phone is the same old stuff. Blackberrys are great for buisness running enterprise software but lag behind in everything else.

Or just sell the touch and the blackberry, Get the Iphone 3gs 16 gig and give ur parents the rest of the money for the data plan if they would go for that. Probably will have enough left over to pay for close to a year of it.

Dark Hunter, that's a pretty good idea. I could also sell my Blackjack 2 and that would get me near $100 extra.

Back