Best Smart Phone out for Verizon?

Fucked up. :p

That's a loaded question though, OP. There is no absolute "best" phone on any carrier, ever.

Best phones (plural) on Verizon right now are (in no particular order):

• Note 3 (has the best overall internal hardware specs of any phone at the moment)
  • G2
  • Moto X
  • Droid Maxx
  • GS4
  • HTC One
  • iPhone 5S (for iOS)
  • Lumia 928 (for WP)

They all have their trade-offs. In some ways even the older GS4 and HTC One are better than the current Snapdragon 800 phones.

Have fun shopping!

Last edited:
Personally I think the Moto X is the best phone on Verizon right now because of its features with LG G2 a close second.

Note 3 is hardware king for the most part. The iPhone 5s has a pretty nice processor in it too.

Was walking around the mall a few days ago with my Note 3 and had six people go, "Wow, that phone is huge." So if you don't mind doing advertising for Samsung definitely get the Note 3. Honestly after a couple days of use the size is quickly forgotten (in a good way). It's a great little phone. ;)

'Best' depends a lot on which mobile OS you like, and what's the largest size phone you want.

That's a loaded question though, OP. There is no absolute "best" phone on any carrier, ever.

This. This right here. You want advice? Go to the Verizon store, play with EVERYTHING. Then come back and say "Hey guys, I liked the Droid DNA, the LG G2, the 928, the Moto X, and the iPhone 5s. Any of them horrible? Any brands I should stay away from?"

We'd be more than willing to give you honest opinions, but asking the best is asking for trouble.

Best phone: LG G2
Best phablet: Samsung Galaxy Note 3

I bought the lg g2, took it back after a week, its trash compared to the droid maxx. The knock on is a gimmick that only works 50% of the time, the maxx you just pull it out of your pocket and the screen turns on. So much more useful and I would say it works 99% of the time, only a few times has it not realized I picked it up. The verizon g2 has worthless buttons on the back, its impossible to distinguish between the three when you are using them. The phone itself feels cheap as well. Overall I wasn't impressed at all by the g2, supposedly its camera is supposed to be better but I found the maxx's camera to be just as good and people complain it sucks. The battery life of the g2 is all over the place, I would get 3 days out of it one charge and then not even a full day out of it another charge.

For me the best phones on verizon are the droid maxx, or the note 3. Note 3 is just too big for me so I went with the maxx.

I bought the lg g2, took it back after a week, its trash compared to the droid maxx. The knock on is a gimmick that only works 50% of the time, the maxx you just pull it out of your pocket and the screen turns on. So much more useful and I would say it works 99% of the time, only a few times has it not realized I picked it up. The verizon g2 has worthless buttons on the back, its impossible to distinguish between the three when you are using them. The phone itself feels cheap as well. Overall I wasn't impressed at all by the g2, supposedly its camera is supposed to be better but I found the maxx's camera to be just as good and people complain it sucks. The battery life of the g2 is all over the place, I would get 3 days out of it one charge and then not even a full day out of it another charge.

For me the best phones on verizon are the droid maxx, or the note 3. Note 3 is just too big for me so I went with the maxx.

The Droid Maxx is months older though and uses a Snapdragon S4 Pro processor (which is more than a year old).

Objectively speaking, the LG G2 or Galaxy Note 3 take my pick.

Humm there is a couple issues. Best is subject to opinion. I like the note 3 it has a wacom digitizer and the pen has several neat features the phone is also fast and hardware wise the only thing not top of the line is the IPS LCD it could do with a higher PPI but it is still decent. The size is an issue for some but I have large hands to the point my galaxy tab 3 7inch feels like I could make that work. The g2 is a little bit smaller but more or less the same minus the s-pen and 1gig of ram.
All of the phones mentioned so far the note 3 and g2 are the highest spec.

The Droid Maxx is months older though and uses a Snapdragon S4 Pro processor (which is more than a year old).

The age of the hardware doesn't matter (IMO). Usability takes precedence over specs (IMO).

The age of the hardware doesn't matter (IMO). Usability takes precedence over specs (IMO).

This ^^^

Thus why if I had to pick a phone right now on Verizon it would be the Moto X. The X performance is fantastic. Yes, it's only dual-core but the optimization and use of the X8 chip makes it incredibly responsive. Not to mention all the really nice notifications and always on voice commands.

Droid Ultra/Maxx are nice too, specs are virtually identical to the moto x, and the Maxx has a amazing battery.

I just ordered the note 3 and it's coming today. If I don't like it I will probably get the Droid Maxx all the new motorola phones feel really nice in the hand and the curved edge on the front feels super nice as well. The Droid Maxx is actually cheaper than the Moto X off contract and you get all the same features + a massive battery. Another plus about the Motorola phones is their awesome cellular radio's.Motorola's also been cranking out the updates a lot faster than they used to now that they are owned by Google.

Note 3.

OLED or go home.

Eh, OLED has its trade-offs. I really like the display on my Note 2 and wife's GS4, but the whites are a bit off and there's always the concern of burn-in which I've seen some people complain about, but I haven't experienced on my Note 2 over the last 11 months or so. I definitely dig the blacks though when watching a video or playing a game.

I love my Moto X but I bought a N5 and trying to sell my unlimited verizon contract and moto x to save some cash as we are starting the fostering process. Really really love my X. Did I say that?

Likes its already been said, if the phone isn't usable then all the specs in the world don't matter.

Depends on what size your hands are the g2 and note 3 are rather large I can see it being unsuitable for some people.

My hands are medium sized and I find the Galaxy Note 3 to be the optimal size for me.

But I would not go for a smartphone bigger than the Galaxy Note 3.

The LG G2 is of average size at 5.2 inches. Most smartphones these days are 5 inches big.

- Note 3 if you can handle the large size.

- Galaxy S4 if you want a smaller phone, with very good battery life, and lost of ROM's available, with a beautiful screen.

- Motorola Droid Ultra MAXX, if you need insane all day and night battery life.

After spending some time with the Note 3 it's not too big for every day use except in one category fitness. It's way to fucking big to be bouncing around. I'm going to check out the Droid maxx to see if it fits better for my setup if not back to the iPhone :S.

The screen on the Note 3 is pretty amazing though. The speaker is fine when compared to other phones but the ear piece speaker is kinda weak.

After spending some time with the Note 3 it's not too big for every day use except in one category fitness. It's way to fucking big to be bouncing around. I'm going to check out the Droid maxx to see if it fits better for my setup if not back to the iPhone :S.

The screen on the Note 3 is pretty amazing though. The speaker is fine when compared to other phones but the ear piece speaker is kinda weak.

Maxx may be a little too heavy if you are bouncing around, though I don't really do fitness stuff with my maxx so it may work out.

So you returned a phone you used for a week, then suggested a phone you have never used. gg

So you returned a phone you used for a week, then suggested a phone you have never used. gg

So you make a comment on something I said assuming something that you know nothing about? gg...

I have used a note 3 quite a bit, I own a note 2 as well, not much difference really between the two when it comes to size and functionality, sure note 3 is faster but its not all gimped with buttons on the back that are too small to distinguish from each other like the verizon g2.

I own the maxx as well, so your comments don't really do anything to add to the discussion if all you do is come here to bash. And what do you want me to do? Keep using a phone that I hate for longer than a week even though I already hate it? That would be stupid...

Since this seems to be turning into a pro-Android thread, I'll chime in on the iPhone 5S. :)

Many people don't realize that the Verizon iPhone 5S comes unlocked out of the box; and not only that, but it will run on Verizon / AT&T / T-Mobile networks with no extra effort required other than having the right SIM. If you ever decide to switch networks for any reason (domestic or international) then you should consider that.

Also the iPhone is a tried-and-true platform with (in my opinion) an excellent ecosystem that is very easy to pick up and run with. There are legitimate reasons why iOS and iPhones are so popular; the quality is top-notch and the software flows beautifully with the hardware.

Performance-wise the 5S is top notch as well; it's ranked in the top 3 (if not being at the top) of every benchmark thrown at it so far and has very respectable battery life.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I think the Moto X is one of Verizon's best as well, but I think the Verizon iPhone 5S is arguably the best phone on Verizon's network for most people, with the exception of true power users that are able to harness what Android is really capable of.

My friend just got the LG G2. Knowing her usage I had recommended the iPhone 5S, but she wanted a bigger screen (quite rare for a girl, and yes we made jokes about bigger is better :)).

Anyway, the G2 is a nice phone but she's not getting the 1 day battery life that was promised, and LG's skin is ok but has way too many options! I can't really say its worse than any other oem skin. She's been a Android user for a while but still gets confused about all the settings.

Doing the tasks normal people do, i.e. no gaming, it was very hard to tell a difference from my S3, which is 2 generations older. Opening/closing/multitasking seems just as fast. It's all about the user experience and screen size/weight/feel, the internals hardly matter nowadays.

My friend just got the LG G2. Knowing her usage I had recommended the iPhone 5S, but she wanted a bigger screen (quite rare for a girl, and yes we made jokes about bigger is better :)).

Anyway, the G2 is a nice phone but she's not getting the 1 day battery life that was promised, and LG's skin is ok but has way too many options! I can't really say its worse than any other oem skin. She's been a Android user for a while but still gets confused about all the settings.

Doing the tasks normal people do, i.e. no gaming, it was very hard to tell a difference from my S3, which is 2 generations older. Opening/closing/multitasking seems just as fast. It's all about the user experience and screen size/weight/feel, the internals hardly matter nowadays.

Were you recommending the iPhone for the battery life? Both a 5.2inch and 5.7 inch phone (LG G2 and Note 3) got more than hour extra battery life than the iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5S' battery is pretty crappy in just about all tests and reviews. You recommending the iPhone for the battery over the G2 would have left her even more unhappy. Phone batteries also seem to take about a weeks worth of discharge and charging before they perform as they should.

Were you recommending the iPhone for the battery life? Both a 5.2inch and 5.7 inch phone (LG G2 and Note 3) got more than hour extra battery life than the iPhone 5S. The iPhone 5S' battery is pretty crappy in just about all tests and reviews. You recommending the iPhone for the battery over the G2 would have left her even more unhappy. Phone batteries also seem to take about a weeks worth of discharge and charging before they perform as they should.

The thing is, the g2 can amazing battery life and then horribly bad battery life another day. When I had it I got 3 days out of one charge and another day to quote a thread I had: Today it was only off the charger 5 hours, 1m 37s (1 minute 37 seconds) screen time, no calls, no texting and I was already at 85%.

That's pretty terrible.

I don't think only using 15% battery over 5 hours is that bad. Sounds like you just had programs in the background running.

The thing is, the g2 can amazing battery life and then horribly bad battery life another day. When I had it I got 3 days out of one charge and another day to quote a thread I had: Today it was only off the charger 5 hours, 1m 37s (1 minute 37 seconds) screen time, no calls, no texting and I was already at 85%.

That's pretty terrible.

So far it's been fairly consistant for me.... my best with over 5 hours of screen on time

g2batt_8.png

It seems most of the people having battery fluctuations are using the phone in areas with weak or bad cellular signal.

Back