Best Single Slot Card For PhysX

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireDemon

Limp Gawd
OK guys, here's the deal. I know I'm probably in for a bit of flaming since there are already a bajillion posts on which cards to use for physics processing, but with so many opinions and so many different tactics towards research, It's hard to find a mellow ground to go with.

I have two GTX465's in SLI, overclocked to 815/2100 (Stock cooling for now), and I am looking for a good card to go as a dedicated PhysX processor. Now, before anyone chimes in and says the twins are more than capable of handling the PhysX load, there's a couple reasons I want to do this. If I choose the right card, will I pick up a *few* FPS in PhysX titles? Sure. but above all, I'm doing this for the same reason 95% of the other users here would: Because we can. We like to overload our PC's with all sorts of equipment in the name of performance for that last ~5 FPS, and because we can. So, with that said, here is where the difficult part comes into play.

I COULD just grab a GTX260 and be done with it to make sure no corners were cut, but I'm running a foxconn destroyer board with an X-Meridian sandwiched in between the two 460's, so that only leaves me a single PCI-E x16 slot at the bottom of the board, and the case runs out of PCI openings after that. The card HAS to be a single slot card. I'm basically looking for the most powerful card I can cram into a single slot. After searching, it seems a 9800GT is my best bet, but I want to make sure I won't be doing more harm than good and slowing my 460's down instead of helping them if the 9800GT proves to be not up to the task. I would prefer a card that did not require any additional power connections as well, but this is not a must. I am also not closed to the idea of using an ATI card, hacked drivers permitting.

So guys, what all is out there at my disposal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back