Best single player first/3rd person shooter campaign by year?

TheBuzzer

HACK THE WORLD!
I been a bit out of date with games. trying to find fps games that have great single player.

I don't know how far and long the OP has been "out of date" so here goes and what kind of FPS he's looking for so here goes:

Titanfall 2 Oct. 2016.

A lot of people said they thought this was one of the best albeit too short FPS SP campaigns since HL2. I thought they were full of it until I played it myself and sure enough there was some points during that, that indeed invoked that for me as well.

The Doom reboot May 2016

Deus Ex Human Revolution August 2011 (part 1) (already?!)
Deus Ex Mankind Divided (part 2) Aug. 2016

Wolfenstein New Order 2014 and its companion Old Blood 2015

Wolfenstein II New Colossus Oct 2017 albeit more tentatively because this is more of a mixed bag and even more grim....lots of debate but if you like NO and OB the gameplay is spot on.

3rd person shooter:

Sniper Elite starting with v2 and they just keep getting better after this. 2012

Sniper Elite 4 in 2017... you could start here honestly if you wanted. Awesome game.

2004 - Doom 3
2005 - FEAR
2006 - Lost Planet
2007 - STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
2008 - Dead Space
2009 - The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
2010 - Transformers: War for Cybertron
2011 - Dead Space 2
2012 - Dishonored
2013 - Bioshock Infinite
2014 - Wolfenstein: The New Order
2015 - Dying Light
2016 - Doom
2017 - Prey
2018 - Far Cry 5

Some that might not have been mentioned:

2004 - Far Cry
2006 - Half-life 2 Episode 1
2007 - Crysis
2013 - Bioshock Infinite

ok played titanfall 2, it is quite short. but it was fun. already played doom.

1992 Wolfenstein 3D
1993 Doom
1994 Doom II
1995 Dark Forces
1996 Quake
1997 Jedi Knight
1998 Half Life
1999 Alien Versus Predator
2000 Star Trek Voyager Elite Force
2001 Halo
2002 Mafia
2003 Unreal II The Awakening
2004 Far Cry / Half Life 2
2005 Fear
2006 Nolf 2, Jedi Knight 2
2007 Crysis
2008 Mercenaries 2 World in Flames
2009 ???
2010 Mass Effect 2
2011 Homefront
2012 Mass Effect 3
2013 Splinter Cell: Blacklist
2014 Wolfenstein The New Order
2015 Mad Max / Rise of the Tomb Raider
2016 Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
2017 Ghost Recon Wildlands
2018 Far Cry 5 - Not really great but you take what you get

OK, Mass Effect and Mafia aren't typical shooters, but you do spend much of your time shooting in them

My vote for 2019 FPS game of year has to be Insurgency Sandstorm. Its Coop against Bots is very good and the graphics and playability are unmatched from anything I have played yet.
Try it and see if you dont agree.

My vote for 2019 FPS game of year has to be Insurgency Sandstorm. Its Coop against Bots is very good and the graphics and playability are unmatched from anything I have played yet.
Try it and see if you dont agree.
"Best single player first/3rd person shooter campaign by year?"

Hmm...

2004 - Doom 3
2005 - FEAR
2006 - Lost Planet
2008 - Dead Space
2011 - Dead Space 2
2012 - Dishonored
2013 - Bioshock Infinite
2015 - Dying Light
2016 - Doom
2017 - Prey
2018 - Far Cry 5

game.gif

I still think Doom 3 is one of the most overrated games of all time. Instead of capturing the feeling of battling hordes of demons, they kept going for the same jump scare vs. a normal 'ol imp. It was an interesting idea, but it failed at nearly everything IMO. The best thing about it was that the id4 engine was able to do a lot of neat things in Prey.

Far Cry, Half-Life 2, and even Halo 2 all came out in 2004 and were way better IMO.

2016 - Titanfall 2 doesn't get enough love. Great campaign. Doom was great for 2016 as well but I thought it could have been a bit shorter IMO.

I think all the other years have been covered well enough.

Love the comic, but that is my opinion. We're talking about campaigns here, not graphics, and I enjoyed Doom 3's much more than Airboat Simulator 2004.
I still think Doom 3 is one of the most overrated games of all time. Instead of capturing the feeling of battling hordes of demons, they kept going for the same jump scare vs. a normal 'ol imp. It was an interesting idea, but it failed at nearly everything IMO. The best thing about it was that the id4 engine was able to do a lot of neat things in Prey.

Far Cry, Half-Life 2, and even Halo 2 all came out in 2004 and were way better IMO.
Doom 3's campaign was interesting and thematic, making me want to continuously push forward to see what comes next. It was different from the original games, yes, but I thoroughly adore and enjoy all the games in the series.

Far Cry's campaign was abysmal after the first two missions, which were only about 15% of the game. Halo 2 starts out great, but gets bogged down by the Arbiter's missions. Besides, this is a PC thread, and the PC version of Halo 2 didn't come out until 2007 when it was up against games like STALKER, Bioshock, and Crysis.

1992 Wolfenstein 3D
1993 Doom
1994 Doom II
1995 Dark Forces
1996 Quake
1997 Jedi Knight
1998 Half Life
1999 Alien Versus Predator
2000 Star Trek Voyager Elite Force
2001 Halo
2002 Mafia
2003 Unreal II The Awakening
2004 Far Cry / Half Life 2
2005 Fear
2006 Nolf 2, Jedi Knight 2
2007 Crysis
2008 Mercenaries 2 World in Flames
2009 ???
2010 Mass Effect 2
2011 Homefront
2012 Mass Effect 3
2013 Splinter Cell: Blacklist
2014 Wolfenstein The New Order
2015 Mad Max / Rise of the Tomb Raider
2016 Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
2017 Ghost Recon Wildlands
2018 Far Cry 5 - Not really great but you take what you get

OK, Mass Effect and Mafia aren't typical shooters, but you do spend much of your time shooting in them

A massive chunk of the above list are 3rd person shooters. The original poster asked specifically about "fps" games which are "first person shooters", and not third person shooters. Now, if the original poster decides that he wants third person shooter recommendations as well then I'd agree with most of that list despite many of those games being very old. Almost that entire list are games I've played and found to be excellent.

Love the comic, but that is my opinion. We're talking about campaigns here, not graphics, and I enjoyed Doom 3's much more than Airboat Simulator 2004

Agreed!

BUT....BUT!...HL2, Half-Life!, if you've never have, I'd be proper jealous!

Last edited:
Love the comic, but that is my opinion. We're talking about campaigns here, not graphics, and I enjoyed Doom 3's much more than Airboat Simulator 2004.

Doom 3's campaign was interesting and thematic, making me want to continuously push forward to see what comes next. It was different from the original games, yes, but I thoroughly adore and enjoy all the games in the series.

Far Cry's campaign was abysmal after the first two missions, which were only about 15% of the game. Halo 2 starts out great, but gets bogged down by the Arbiter's missions. Besides, this is a PC thread, and the PC version of Halo 2 didn't come out until 2007 when it was up against games like STALKER, Bioshock, and Crysis.

I liked Doom 3 for what it was trying to do.

I played Far Cry 3 and enjoyed it. Went back after everyone raving about how much the original was better. Put about 30 minutes into it and realized it sucks. Maybe at the time it was amazing but it hasn't aged well at all.

A massive chunk of the above list are 3rd person shooters. The original poster asked specifically about "fps" games which are "first person shooters", and not third person shooters. Now, if the original poster decides that he wants third person shooter recommendations as well then I'd agree with most of that list despite many of those games being very old. Almost that entire list are games I've played and found to be excellent.
Do you not read topic titles?

Some of my favorite single player titles I've played over the last decade to 15 years or so are as follows:

(And I'll list FPS titles only, as I don't play 3rd person titles)

In Alphabetical order:

5/5 = Top Single Player FPS of All Time (for me)
1/5 = Fun enough to make my list, but that's about it

- Bioshock Remastered - 4/5
- Bioshock 2 Remastered - 3/5
- Bioshock Infinite - 3/5
- Black Mesa (Half Life 1 remake with more modern graphics) - 2/5
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution - 5/5
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - 5/5
- DOOM (2016) - 2/5
- Dying Light - 5/5 (including expansion, the Following)
- Fallout 3 - 2/5
- Fallout: New Vegas - 3/5
- Fallout 4 - 4/5
- Metro 2033 (Redux) - 3/5
- Metro Last Light (Redux) - 3/5
- Portal - 2/5
- Portal 2 - 2/5
- Prey - 5/5
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl - 4/5
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Clear Sky - 2/5 (this is the weakest of the series, but worth playing while you are at it)
- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call of Pripyat - 5/5 (This of the best of the series.)
- Singularity - 4/5
- Wolfenstein: The New Order - 3/5
- Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - 2/5
- Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - 3/5

Some notes:

1.) I absolutely love the Deus Ex Series ever since the original in 2000. The first sequel (Invisible War) kind of sucked, and the original is very dated at this point but start with Human Revolution (2011) and continue with Mankind Divided (2016) otherwise there will be spoilers, and that's a shame. These two are prequels to the original, so if you later decide you crave more and want to go back and play the original and brave its dated age, you wont have ruined anything.

2.) In 2018 I discovered (with some help from these forums) three titles I really enjoyed, Singularity (2010), Prey (2017), Dying Light (2015). All three of these were really very good. Prey was a masterpiece of space horror survival. I cannot recommend this game enough. Dying light really surprised me, because I had avoided it for years because I don't like the Zombie genre, and even I lived it. Singularity was a fun action twilight zone type of adventure. Singularity was a little short though. I only got 13 hours out of it, so pick it up on sale.

3.) The new Wolfenstein games had a little bit more of a 90's run and gun mass appeal to them than the other titles I enjoyed, but that was kind of expected from the series. They surprised me a little in being more enjoyable than I expected.

4.) DOOM was a huge surprise to me. I only got it because it came as a good bundle on sale with Wolfenstein. I was prepared to hate it, as I thought I had outgrown that 90's run and gun stuff. It was much better made than I expected. The key to happiness is low expectations I guess.

5.) The S.T.A.L.K.E.R series were great, but are starting to be a bit dated. If you like grim Eastern European post apocalyptic settings in massive open world games, this is it. Someone made a mod which converts all of the games (and some cut scenes/maps) into one even more massive open world game, all benefiting from the improvements seen in Call of Prripyat, the last installment. Just google "Call of Chernobyl" Massive, open ended, you do what you want glory. This is probably how I would play it today. You may also want to look into some graphics mods. There are lots, I only ever scratched the surface, so I am not going to bother telling you what I used as there are probably much better mods.

6.) And then there is the Metro series. Very well made, graphically intense and impressive (Especially considering how old Metro 2033 is now) very immersive story. More Russian Post apocalyptic stuff. Only downside is that they are essentially linear tunnel shooters. Still well worth your time though. The new Metro Exodus is supposed to be more open world, but I have not yet played it.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy these. I certainly have.

2004 - Doom 3
2005 - FEAR
2006 - Lost Planet
2008 - Dead Space
2011 - Dead Space 2
2012 - Dishonored
2013 - Bioshock Infinite
2015 - Dying Light
2016 - Doom
2017 - Prey
2018 - Far Cry 5

.... I really can't argue with this list.

- Add -
Singularity
Titanfall 2

.... I really can't argue with this list.

- Add -
Singularity
Titanfall 2

I could, but not gonna :p

I'll add some of my favorites instead.

Borderlands 1, 2 and pre-sequel (2 is by far the best one imo)
Max Payne 1 & 2
Rage
Crysis 2 and 3
The division
Quantum break

Do you not read topic titles?

Yes, but I based my post off the original post. I read several responses and must have forgotten that.

I liked Doom 3 for what it was trying to do.

I played Far Cry 3 and enjoyed it. Went back after everyone raving about how much the original was better. Put about 30 minutes into it and realized it sucks. Maybe at the time it was amazing but it hasn't aged well at all.
You have to play Far Cry on the hardest difficulty for it to really shine, as a shoot em up it is not really outstanding. But on realistic difficulty you have to sneak around in it most of the time, and it becomes a tactical shooter at that point.

Reactions: spine
like this
Yes, but I based my post off the original post. I read several responses and must have forgotten that.
Yeah, you must have forgotten, or simply jumped the gun. You are really incapable of admitting that you were wrong just once?

Yeah, you must have forgotten, or simply jumped the gun. You are really incapable of admitting that you were wrong just once?

I read the title. That's what drew me into clicking on the thread. I came in here, read some responses and then posted my response to your post based on the original post and not the title. What does that mean? It means that while reading all the responses, I had either forgotten the title or perhaps I did misread it to begin with. I don't really remember. It's not relevant either way. So my response to your post was in error. Happy?

On a side note, I at least agreed with 90% of your list. Despite our many differences, our taste in games seems to have always been very similar.

Last edited:
Left for Dead 2009
Borderlands 2009
Duke Nukem Forever 2011
Battlefield 3 2011
Borderlands 2 2012
Ghost Recon Wildlands 2017
Sniper Ghost Warrior 3 2017
Rage 2 2019

2016 - Titanfall 2 doesn't get enough love. Great campaign. Doom was great for 2016 as well but I thought it could have been a bit shorter IMO.

I think all the other years have been covered well enough.

I don't know man. I see lot of love for TF2 here. I will say I was skeptical, but picked it up for $5 last year... the campaign is far too good for what was pushed as a multi-player twitch FPS. I hope whoever worked on it got some ssrious creds.

I don't know man. I see lot of love for TF2 here. I will say I was skeptical, but picked it up for $5 last year... the campaign is far too good for what was pushed as a multi-player twitch FPS. I hope whoever worked on it got some ssrious creds.

I too grabbed it for $5 and thoroughly enjoyed the campaign.

Huh. This series was not on my radar at all. I will have to check it out.

Leave Dan alone! Anyway. Yeah. The new metro is pretty excellent.

What?

I haven't tried the new Metro game. I never finished the first one. I got stuck on some part of it and never finished it. I should do that one of these days.

Metro has a good story and really nice environments/monsters. Kind of like half life. It is a quality experience. Especially now that they have added to the game.

Back