Best shooter game you have ever played?

darius gaiden on Saturn and super rtype on snes were favs too. aw man, now I'm jonesin, gonna have to dig out my Saturn....

darius gaiden on Saturn and super rtype on snes were favs too. aw man, now I'm jonesin, gonna have to dig out my Saturn....

I have to recommend Darius Burst on Steam. It may seem a bit high-priced, but the amount of content buried in it is pretty insane. I just play it here or there, but one night I loaded it up and played it for several hours straight, just seeing how far I could wander into some of the modes. It was great. It's nearly time for another round of it. It's great for breaking up more demanding games like RPGs and such.

I play quite a few of the Atlus/Cave shooters in MAME too now and then. Guwange is especially fun. I can't say I'm all that good at this one, but you know... unlimited "quarters" and all that. :D It was bullet hell before I'd ever heard the term.

thanks for that tip I didn't even know aboot it! youre right though, little pricey! ill have to watch for a promo or something...

thanks for that tip I didn't even know aboot it! youre right though, little pricey! ill have to watch for a promo or something...

Yikes! Didn't realize it went up to $49. It was $35 or something like that when I bought it at release. I have seen it on sale though a few times, so I'm guessing the next big sale will have it. It's ALMOST worth that full price though. I say almost because of its niche, but for the amount of content in it it's not too bad. I'd still wait for a sale though. I keep thinking I should buy a cheap ultrawide monitor, and stick it on that, with maybe some dual monitor games in MAME as well.

FEAR (nothing like leaving one soldier alive but have it go around and shoot you from the back, died way too many times from that, its AI was something back then).

HL2

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

The rest of the shooters were RPG shooters like DX, FO3/NV/4 & ME.

Even by today's standards HL2 and FEAR don't look half bad graphically.

So many good games in this thread! Really hard to pick a 'best'.
But think back to the first time you saw the big bridge on Highway 17 in Half Life 2...holy cow was that awesome.

Only going for "true shooters"...

FEAR - Holds up incredibly well in graphics and gameplay. Started the "bullet time" mechanic you still see in many games today

Star Trek: Elite Force - Better than the sum of its parts, overall everything very solid and a great amount of content. Wasted days phaser-ing my way through the multiplayer.

UT2003 - Awesome mechanics and level design.

Medal of Honor, Call of Duty 1 & 2 - Twitch shooters in their purest and best form. These titles really started to incrementally suck after the first ones.

So many good games in this thread! Really hard to pick a 'best'.
But think back to the first time you saw the big bridge on Highway 17 in Half Life 2...holy cow was that awesome.

For HL2, it was Ravenholm for me.

Only going for "true shooters"...

FEAR - Holds up incredibly well in graphics and gameplay. Started the "bullet time" mechanic you still see in many games today

Star Trek: Elite Force - Better than the sum of its parts, overall everything very solid and a great amount of content. Wasted days phaser-ing my way through the multiplayer.

UT2003 - Awesome mechanics and level design.

Medal of Honor, Call of Duty 1 & 2 - Twitch shooters in their purest and best form. These titles really started to incrementally suck after the first ones.

Max Payne invented Bullet Time. (they coined the term) But yes, its use in F.E.A.R. was great! (and probably the first time it was in a first person game)

Ah right, forgot that one. Max Payne was essentially built around a bullet time mechanic. The white meter is burnt into my memory.

Ah right, forgot that one. Max Payne was essentially built around a bullet time mechanic. The white meter is burnt into my memory.

I never got into the next two, but I loved the first one. I had nothing but time back then, and I think I played straight through it over the course of a couple of days. I loved shooting up the subway tiles too. There weren't many things with even that level of environmental destruction back then.

Having a rocket launcher with a photon torpedo sound effect and explosion tickled the bejezzus outta me. Elite Force was probably the best Star Trek game that Activision produced. Probably one of the top five Star Trek games made. (25th Anniversary, DS9 the Fallen, Klingon Academy, Elite Force, Starfleet Command 1)

I was always a big fan of Ut2k3 but for some reason Epic and even a lot of gamers don't acknowledge its existence. Graphics weren't as good as ut2k4 but the gameplay was faster and more fluid imo.

UT2k3/UT2k4
Day of Defeat: Source

I would say I played more hours on those 3 games then any other game I've ever played. Says a lot considering I was addicted to WoW for 3-4 years. Like the old saying goes...they don't make them like they used to.

Old but probably my favorite will always be Descent and Descent ][. Played 1-on-1 against a buddy of mine after hours at a computer shop where I used to work.

While not my favorite, I enjoyed the hell out of it. I set up a network where I lived at the time, a friend in the same building did the same, and we'd play with several people in my place and several people in his. Good stuff! Just got my first cable connection then too, and my gigantic Motorola BitSurfer modem. :D

Old but probably my favorite will always be Descent and Descent ][. Played 1-on-1 against a buddy of mine after hours at a computer shop where I used to work.

I played Descent for months via modem with a buddy in middle school.

When he taught me how to up the rez to 640x480, I was BLOWN AWAY heh

Has to be Left 4 Dead 2. I'm a huge team based game fan, and I dumped almost 2,000 hours between L4d1/2. Multiplayer PvP was really where it was at in that game. This is just SP campaign which can be pretty boring.

I remember making my cousin puke from being able to spin around and make any side "up" which could get very confusing, even in the maps view lol. Fun level editor and decent multi player.

You did say best shooter, so Scorched Earth ;)

If we're sticking with FPS than Mount & Blade: Warband Napoleonic Wars (Jesus that took awhile to find a video without talking)

Doom PSX

The soundtrack changed the entire game.

My buddy and I would wheel CRTs to each others house to play system link co-op.

I still go back and play the mod on PC from time to time.

Never played gaiden, but have very fond memories of Darius Twin on SNES.

Starsiege Tribes
almost 20 years have passed, and the friends I made while playing that game, many of us still game together almost daily.

No game has ever grabbed me so thoroughly as Starsiege: Tribes. The complexity, speed, precision, and sheer joy of skiing and jump jetting was so compelling that a lot of us had vivid dreams about it for months.

This is a good video to show how you could "ski" along the ground and jet up on the "ramps" of the terrain to achieve speed and momentum.

I miss Tribes

And I typed that before I even saw the post just above mine lol --- yeah it was good.

For me, in the last couple of years, easily a couple of games. Destiny for it's shooting mechanics, I love dodging those projectiles, double jumping everywhere, melee feels great. The other game I loved more than I thought was Doom. Again, the shooting and the pace of the game were great. I still rate Destiny higher for it's combat.

Other than these 2 games, I'd have to go back to the original Quake for a shooting perfection. Before that, Doom 2 and before that Wolf 3D. The rest of the shooters were pretty meh for me.

Counter-Strike was fun when it came out, I played from 2000-2002 then maybe a little after it got on Steam, mainly played it on WON. Probably the most fun in a FPS I ever had. But I eventually moved on to UT2k3 and BF1942 and really enjoyed them for about a year or so I played a lot with my LAN friends. I never played Quake so I have no opinion on it and I don't really play "shooting games" anymore since I don't have any friends that play games.

Can't believe it took 99 posts..

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.

Still get fucking goosebumps when I hear that theme song.

From a mechanics POV? Max Payne 3. It's the Tony Hawk of murder.

From an all encompassing narrative, mechanics and execution POV? Half Life 2.

If Fallout 3 played like an actual shooter, it'd probably dethrone Half Life 2.

Yay, there are a few UT2k3ers out there. I'm definitely in that category. It was the mods that made the game amazing, and could take a base game and make game types out of the same game. I really hope some day someone will be able to recreate that magic, because it's certainly lost on newer titles where it's the same map 24 / 7, rinse, repeat every 15 minutes.

I'll toss a video in here because of the OP, but recording video back in the day wasn't really something many people did. This game predates youtube, and running fraps on a single core CPU wasn't the best for a twitch shooter.

For the OPs choice I also wanted to like Verdun, I had it in my queue for a long time. When I finally picked it up, it definitely was not what I was expecting. There is only one server, and it's the one that everyone gets tossed into. If you're a new comer, the game is not friendly to you. You get tossed a pistol, and are expected to go compete with other players who have sniper rifles and automatic weapons. There is no SP, so you are force to join the one and only server if you want to try to play the game, which is basically a disaster for a brand new player. I could see if you could get ranked up where the game might be fun or interesting, but like tons of others I didn't bother after 15 minutes and just got my refund.

I think the game has potential, but without dedicated servers that you can host yourself any FPS is DOA as far as I'm concerned.

Back