Best shooter game you have ever played?

The original Quake/Team Fortress and Destiny on consoles.

Destiny has such a great flow to the shooting action and weapon handling.

still think RTCW: enemy territories is the best shooter i've played(before people went nuts with all the mods on the servers). second to that would of been enemy territories quake wars if the developers hadn't of given up on it before the game even released. it had so much wasted potential and could of easily replaced multiplayer halo on PC.

The Overall best shooter when it comes to atmosphere, action, gameplay, and story is definitely F.E.A.R. Without a doubt.

fear_pcbox.jpg

Also, this is not gameplay but FEAR has one of the best intro sequences i've ever seen in terms of mood, tension, and editing.

duke nukem 3d on T.E.N or lan for MP / or Soldier of Fortune 1 was also good on lan or internet ..for MP

Far Cry 3 and 4 for single player

In order:

Doom 1/2, Hexen/Heretic, Shadow Warriors, Q2, Q3A, UT99, CS1.4/1.6, Tactical Ops, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, SOF2, UT2004, Far Cry, Fear, COD4 (only because the SP and MP blew everything else out of the water), Crysis Warhead, Stalker franchise.

Back in the day, the ones that grabbed me the most were HL2, Far Cry, and Max Payne 1 and 2. Have lots of nostalgia for that time period.

The Overall best shooter when it comes to atmosphere, action, gameplay, and story is definitely F.E.A.R. Without a doubt.

fear_pcbox.jpg

Also, this is not gameplay but FEAR has one of the best intro sequences i've ever seen in terms of mood, tension, and editing.

Fear for sure. It was so good, the atmosphere. wooo!

Serious Sam. Never took itself serious, pardon the pun, gameplay was just downright fun and corny. Many of the others mentioned already are all some of my favorites, but SS was just downright fun.

Picking only one is a brutal task. So many to pick from. If I go by the game that really sucked me in, and I logged a stupid amount of time in during high school I would have to go with Team Fortress Classic followed extremely closely by UT99 and BF1942 Desert Combat.

Quake 3 arena. Had tons and tons of fun starting off on the Dreamcast in 2000 and moved onto PC gaming because of that game.

Please post only 1 and post its gameplay video.

For me, its Verdun:

Wow, tough to narrow it down to only one, as there are so many different categories.

I bought Verdun when it came out, but I've only played it once or twice. I felt the player motion felt stiff, non-fluid and unnatural, which made it difficult for me to get into that game, but I liked the concept.

If I had to choose only one across all genres of shooters, I guess I'd have to pick Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad in playing Territory maps, in either Classic (my preference) or Realism modes. (I find Classic to be more realistic than the Realism mode. It plays more like RO1) The Original Red Orchestra and its many mods may be the better game, but its so hopelessly obsolete looking in the graphics department by modern standards, that I can't really get into it anymore.

Here is some gameplay footage (not mine, stolen on YouTube, I don't stream)

It was surprisingly difficult to find a good video. Streamers are fucking idiots.

It's a complex game which requires team coordination to capture territory in massive outdoor maps, in the brutal eastern front of WWII (Russians vs. Germans). There are many different classes. Both sides need a commander who coordinates strategy, calls in reconnaissance and artillery strikes. Group leaders who coordinate their groups, mark suggested artillery coordinates for the commander. Machine gunners (great on defensive maps), elite soldiers with semi-auto rifles, tank commanders, anti-tank soldiers with anti-tank rifles, engineers with satchel charges, etc, but the bulk of players are going to be buck private cannon fodder with bolt action rifles.

Its one of those games where the team with the best coordination is always going to win, and it can be frustrating when you are playing with beginners or idiots who think they are playing a run and gun game, and choose an important class because they want the submachine gun, not because they plan on playing it properly, losing the team the map, but when everything hits and you have two good teams on a large 32 player map it is a very rewarding experience.

This is definitely not a run and gun game. Many players used to fast paced shooters will probably hate the movement speed, and find the controls disconnected and awkward, at least until they get used to them. You spend more time ducking down, scurrying from cover to cover, trying to dart across open spaces without being mowed down by enemy machinegun fire, finally reaching your position to try to take territory, only to hear the terrifying roar of artillery falling above your head, all set in the glum destroyed landscape of the greater Stalingrad area.

Fantastic game. I haven't played it in a while, but just looking at the videos while choosing the one above, has me tempted to get back into it.

Doom / Doom 2 - been playing since 1994 and I still load it up from time to time to play.
For simply killing a half hour, it is super accessible to just load the game, idclev to a particular level, and start playing. And for an extended play session, the maps in Doom 2 hold up remarkably well to the test of time. Coincidentally I just played through Doom 1 Episode 1 this past weekend, and the nostalgia factor was high, Romero's maps are truly inspired, (although some of the architecture constrains the player's movements in ways the more polished later maps don't. For example - strafe-running down staircases you're more likely to hit your head on the ceiling, slowing down your movement)
But yeah, for accessibility, replay value, atmosphere, commitment to doing one thing and doing it ridiculously well, Doom all the way.

Hell yeah bro!

PS: his video looks like he filmed with a potato.
You can mod your config to use 1920x1080 & other RES.

Last edited:
Battlefield 2/Vietnam/1942 DC Mod for sure. I've been trying to get into a bunch of new FPS games, followed the Battlefield series pretty closely, some indie games on Steam like Verdun etc. but nothing compares to the original Battlefield games.

Quake 3 arena. Had tons and tons of fun starting off on the Dreamcast in 2000 and moved onto PC gaming because of that game.
Wow, same here. I probably dropped 200 hours+ into that game on Dreamcast before I saw it running on a proper PC.....that was life changing.

Reactions: dgz
like this
Wow, same here. I probably dropped 200 hours+ into that game on Dreamcast before I saw it running on a proper PC.....that was life changing.

I believe you. Experienced the same with MK3. The original DOS version was running at full FPS and had none of the bugs/anomalies that ruined Windows ports.

These things matter a lot. Quake 3 went through a lot of changes early on. Not to mention mods such as OSP adding basic functionality on top of an already improved game running at good fps.

I have a tie between Quake II and UT for FPS. If we're talking about space shooters, i have to choose Descent: Freespace, a pretty underrated game.

descent_freespace__the_great_war_logo.jpg

I don't think you can call Freespace underrated anymore. ;) Once they released the source code for Freespace 2, it was the defacto moddable space sim/shooter for over a decade. Everyone was modding it from Wing Commander, to Babylon 5 and Battlestar Galactica.

I have to go with two games... UT and Serious Sam way too many hours having a absolutely great time with those two.

System Shock. (still good by today's standards too) I've played a ton of good shooters since then (and even a couple before) and System Shock 2 comes very close, but the original is incredible. I find a lot of replay value even in games that don't have much to begin with, but there's not another game that I can still feel the same way as the first time I played it like this one. (even on my however-many-th time through)

Edit: I will append this with the fact that for a pure shooter (no other elements like the SS series include) I would choose all of id's games. Probably Doom 3 for single player, and Q1 / Q3A for multiplayer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wolfenstein - New Order (PC)
Or
Half Life 2 (PC)
Or
Halo (co-op on Xbox)

Lots of other good ones--but few others I played without getting bored along the way. I spent two years of my life playing CS 1.6, and quite a bit of time playing Unreal tournament iterations. Max Payne was memorable, and I even loved doom and doom 2 and rise of the triad but the overall nod for deepest, lasting impression goes to the first three I listed.

Last edited:
radiant silvergun

oh you meant FPS.... UT

Personally I like the horizontal shooters like Darius, Air Buster, R-Type, etc. better, but yeah, this was a good game. I also like the running shooters like Turrican, Metroid, etc.

Back