Best shooter game you have ever played?

Any one of these: Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike, Far Cry, Unreal Tournament (the first game was fun for SP, too), Quake 1 with all of its zany mods.

Doom/Quake for me... it was just a huge jump in immersion from anything else I experienced before... since then it's been little baby steps forward... also really got my adrenaline going and haven't experienced that since either... maybe VR will reproduce that feeling, I dunno...

I'm going to ignore the video requirement like everyone else, and also say something nobody else will ever say: Destiny with a XIM4 and a mouse/keyboard.

It's objectively not that great a game in terms of story and mechanics, but the gunplay is seriously on-point with a m/kb and I've never had more fun with any other shooter.

Battlefield 3 TDM

BF3 TDM was the best thing DICE has done post-BC2 Rush. I generally disliked BF3 but TDM truly was awesome.

Counterstrike Beta 5 before Valve added predictive netcode.

Ooooh there's another good one! I started in Beta 3 and Beta 5 was probably my all around favorite version of CS.

My favorite console shooter was also my first console multiplayer experience:

For PC there's no doubt that, even with the various flaws, Bad Company 2 is still the king for me:

Single player
A tie between Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Duke Nukem 3D. Both amazing games.

Multiplayer
Quake 3. Quite simply the culmination of ego shooters. Tho only thing that got somewhat close was UT2003/4

Duke Nukem Forever Multiplayer

I sank about 300 hours on that. Even hosted a dedicated server for quite a while. It was a very addictive garbage :D Terrible net code and design decisions all around.

I had to spend about an hour practicing rocket jumps. Sadly, the first map - Morningwood - was the only decent one.

Single Player:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein
No One Lives for Ever
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Call Of Duty 4: MW

Multiplayer:

Planet Side
Battlefield 2
Call of Duty 4:MW

battlefield 2 and BF2 with the PR mod. I played 42 hours strait of BF2 when I was in school, good times.

Of all the FPS games I've played, I actually like Overwatch. The game has many classes and it is very easy to master.

If you go by hours played anb replaying it. It'd be No One Lives forever for single player, and Half-Life for multi player.

Red Orchestra is probably up there in the top 3 for me, it was just a great online ww2 shooter. Alongside that, Battlefield 2.

in terms of multiplayer, battlefield, bad company 2
single player, shooting aspects, MGSV:TPP

dunno if I can say any of them I will describe as best but notable shooters that I recall having a good experience in no particular order:

original Doom, Duke Nukem, HL2, first UT, first Jedi Knight, first COD.

Battlezone

Played on Apple II

Battle-Zone-Atari-screenshot.gif

Last edited:
TFC by far still owns my heart. Quake 3 was next in line, but i didn't spend nearly as many hours with this as i did TFC.

This video shows more gameplay from O and D

Last edited:
Deus Ex

Honorable mentions:
Half-Life
COD4: MW
FarCry
Riddick: Butcher Bay
System Shock 2

Last edited:
Back